Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My 4Runner starts itself without permission when i'm not around...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 4Runner starts itself without permission when i'm not around...

This is my first post on yotatech. My 1997 Limited 4Runner has a mysterious starting problem which i would like to resolve before it becomes more frequent. Here we go...

We'll start with a quick summary of the problem, then discuss the history leading up to it.

The vehicle starts itself (randomly) after I take the key OUT of the car. When I turn the key from "ON" to "OFF" and take it out, the key-beep-noise starts sounding, and then the starter engages, releases, and the engine continues to run for 3 to 4 seconds. Then it shuts itself off, and the process begins again. Sometimes it only happens once, sometimes twice, sometimes it does this 14 times in a row. There is no pattern, and no way to predict when it will do this. Probably related, sometimes after i start the car with the key, i hear clicking noises from under the dash, and the clock dims and the goes back to regular brightness at the same time the clicks are sounding. They sound like mechanical noises (relay turning on and off?), not like a speaker making a click. They continue for about 10 seconds.

The problem started with a click. When i turned the key to start it, it would just click. After a few tries, it would start. I changed the contacts in the starter (what a pain on this model 4Runner!). Problem solved, sort of.

Unfortunately, the remote for my factory alarm/keyless entry was destroyed by the previous owner (she submerged it). I have always just used the key manually to unlock/lock the car, and have kept the alarm in valet mode.

When i hooked the battery back up after replacing the contacts, the horn began to sound. Yes, the factory alarm was upset that i had taken the battery offline, and was letting me know its feelings. I pulled the fuse for the horn so that i could hear myself think, and I tried whatever i could to get the alarm into valet mode. Eventually, with enough trial-and-error button pushing (the red LED for the alarm in the car) and turning the key on and off quickly, it ended up in valet mode (solid red light on the alarm LED). I put the fuse back in, and all seemed well.

The next day is when our current problem arrose. I am worried that i shorted something out in the alarm module, but i never thought that it had the ability to start the car (and know when to stop cranking the starter once it is started). So, here we are, mystified, lost, and ready for resolution. The dealership has been no help over the phone, but they have said that they have never heard of this before now.

PLEASE HELP!

Regards,
Andrew
Old 01-11-2007, 10:11 AM

Sounds to me like you have some sort of aftermarket alarm/remote start that has started to act up. I would call a local stereo shop to see if they might be able to take a look at it.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:25 AM

i'd get rid of the alarm system first.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:28 AM

yup that sounds like the alarm is in valet mode but you have triggered/shorted the remote start... a good car stero shp should help fix or rmove that or fix and provide you with the keyless remote...good luck might not be cheap....
Old 01-11-2007, 10:29 AM

Id get an excorsist
Old 01-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You and this guy; https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/ghost-truck-103060/ are the only 2 I've heard of having this problem.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Heres another guy, only happened once so far. I was sleeping and about 2am i heard a vehicle start, I got up and looked out the window and seen my lights flashing, so i grabbed a bat and ran out side cuz i thought someone was steeling it. Well it ended up being the remot starter. So that's my story.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:46 AM

I second the exorcist motion...
Old 01-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

I once had a faulty battery connection in which the terminal plate was cracked and corroded. If the truck was running and turned the key in the off position and then turned it to "ACC" the engine would restart. I would also have frequent problems with the car not starting at all with symptoms of a dead battery. It would randomly start perfectly normally on the 4th or 5th try. I replaced the battery and the terminal plate and resolved both issues.

Not sure this is related to what you are experiencing, but it is worth checking your connection.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
third for an exorcism.

then a BF hammer
Old 01-11-2007, 12:22 PM

your RS went into timer mode. i assumed this happened when you first got the RS installed.
Originally Posted by SteelHound
Heres another guy, only happened once so far. I was sleeping and about 2am i heard a vehicle start, I got up and looked out the window and seen my lights flashing, so i grabbed a bat and ran out side cuz i thought someone was steeling it. Well it ended up being the remot starter. So that's my story.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:24 PM

When the vehicle started on its own, can you shut it off by deprssing the brake?

If so, you have RS installed on your vehicle.

Other than that, you have key tumbler issue.