Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My 4Runner has an ELECTRAC !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 05:22 AM
JD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 4Runner has an ELECTRAC !!!

Like a few others I was waiting for the new Electrac but after many months it was finally made known that it wasn't going to be produced to fit the Toy axles. Main reason being the locker actuator is mounted into the salisbury type rear plate whereas Toys use the banjo setup.

Recently Tractech released the Electrac for the Dana44. I got to thinking and decided bugger it I will have an Electrac so I fabbed up a housing using a Dana44 center with Toy tubes complete with mounting brackets. I had the Toy axles recut to the Dana pitch and imported an Electrac center for a Dana44.

Don't ask the cost as it is obscene but I now probably have the worlds first 4Runner with an Electrac.

This afternoon I started to fit it.

4Runner Electrac

Last edited by JD; 05-17-2003 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:48 PM

JD that is nuts. Wow.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:18 PM

Re: My 4Runner has an ELECTRAC !!!

Originally posted by JD
Like a few others I was waiting for the new Electrac but after many months it was finally made known that it wasn't going to be produced to fit the Toy axles. Main reason being the locker actuator is mounted into the salisbury type rear plate whereas Toys use the banjo setup.

Recently Tractech released the Electrac for the Dana44. I got to thinking and decided bugger it I will have an Electrac so I fabbed up a housing using a Dana44 center with Toy tubes complete with mounting brackets. I had the Toy axles recut to the Dana pitch and imported an Electrac center for a Dana44.

Don't ask the cost as it is obscene but I now probably have the worlds first 4Runner with an Electrac.

This afternoon I started to fit it.

4Runner Electrac
Why not just use a 3rd gen electric locker??? I dont' get it?
Old 05-17-2003, 04:09 PM

I believe that the did the conversion because of this:

differential | disengaged | engaged

Toyota locker | open | spool

Detroit Electrac | *limited slip* | spool

There is no other diff out there for Toyotas at this time that is a limited slip when "off"
Old 05-17-2003, 05:22 PM
JD

Re: Re: My 4Runner has an ELECTRAC !!!

Originally posted by Los Gatos?
Why not just use a 3rd gen electric locker??? I dont' get it?
Yep as seafarinman indicated I wanted a locker but I also MUST have a good LSD for normal use and the Truetrac is undoubtably the best. Ever tried driving a 4Runner with a healthy HO in the dirt or more importantly on the road in wet conditions with an open center. It can get a bit scary .
Old 05-17-2003, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

How long did everything take? Did you do all the work yourself?
Old 05-17-2003, 06:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: My 4Runner has an ELECTRAC !!!

Originally posted by JD
Yep as seafarinman indicated I wanted a locker but I also MUST have a good LSD for normal use and the Truetrac is undoubtably the best. Ever tried driving a 4Runner with a healthy HO in the dirt or more importantly on the road in wet conditions with an open center. It can get a bit scary .

Okay good reason
Old 07-31-2006, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
electrac for 2nd gen

well here is a resurrected post! sorry about that...
after doing a lot of thinking, the electrac rocks. a selectable limited slip/full locker. you really do get the best of both worlds. unfortunately in this world they do not make it for the toyota and guys like los gatos and JD, good job on installing the electrac!!!-can you tell me if there is an inexpensive way to do this, what is the nest way
Old 07-31-2006, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch... hope it was worth it
Old 07-31-2006, 07:54 PM
JD

Originally Posted by taikowaza
well here is a resurrected post! sorry about that...
.....can you tell me if there is an inexpensive way to do this, what is the nest way
Man you dug this up

I was so dissappointed when Trachtec advised the Electrac was not suitable for the Toyota but then I realised a Dana44 swap would be the answer.

Basically there's nothing more than whats on my page. I cut the Toy axle tubes off a spare housing and had the Dana44 axle tubes machined down a tad so the Toyota tubes slipped over the cleaned up Dana44 tubes.

It was then easy to position them so they were the exact same width as my standard Toy housing. By using the Toyota tubes it meant the flanges stayed Toyota etc. I then had the splines of 3 Toyota 4Runner axles recut to the Dana44 pitch and it was then a straight bolt up using all original Toyota brakes etc etc.

Alternatively you could have a spring perch and the various locating arm brackets made up and welded direct to a Dana44 housing etc. But using the complete Toyota tubes means its already done as per factory and probably a lot stronger especially at the flange etc. It also meant each individual bracket didn't have to be correctly aligned with all others before welding.

The Electrac is an amazing unit as having the normal truetrac lsd is great and with the added benefit of being able to fully lock it at the flick of a switch in my opinion makes it the absolute perfect set up. But don't use synthetic oil in it Its been in awhile now and operates perfect. It truly is an awesome option.

Its funny when I meet up with a group etc and we get to talking diffs and I mention I have a LSD/Locker. All the "experts" laugh and think I'm a dill and advise my 4Runner can't have a LSD/Locker as no such unit exists and especially in a 4Runner !!!!. They then go on about the various types etc and make it plain that there is no such thing as a LSD/Locker. But I always have the last laugh and probably should take bets and make a few bucks. It is surprising how many "experts" have no idea they exist.

There is also a similar unit available from another company for the Landrover diffs but the Electrac is a lot less complicated.

Since this install it now has REAR DISCS

JD

Last edited by JD; 07-31-2006 at 07:57 PM.