Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My 2nd gen is haunted...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2nd gen is haunted...

Hey guys, ever since my father crossed the terminals on the battery, the car has been acting all wacko. Yes, fuses blew, smoke billowed, and I finally got a taste of the term "Fire it up." I've already replaced the blown 80 amp. alternator fuse, but now when i start it, the starter still stays ingaged to the flywheel. Now the truck starts on its own, just by putting the key in the "on" position

So, to make things alittle easier; I have to pull the starter fuse out, put the key in the "on" position, plug the fuse in the fuse socket, let the engine crank, and once the engine has started, I have to pull out the starter fuse "again." There is no way I want to fry this starter up. The starter fuse is my ignition key, until I get the truck fixed.

Now my question to you guys is, why has my ignition gone so; wacko, crazy, coo-coo, pshyco?
Old 10-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Banned

doesnt sound like its haunted, sounds like you soldered wires together
Old 10-01-2005, 08:44 PM

It could be that crappy remote starter that was installed 8 years ago
Old 10-08-2005, 06:46 PM

Officially haunted

After starting her up, and driving her for alittle bit, the 2nd gen started to feel like it was loosing power than the last time I drove it (2 weeks ago).

Here comes the creepy part. I tried using Overdrive and ECT, but its not working. I tried using the stereo too, not working either. Now the scary part comes. I park the truck, put it in Park, and I pull the key out of the ignition. And geuss what? She's still running, with the key removed. So I went under the hood, and pulled the EFI fuse out, and she stops running. But the insturment lights (brake light, check engine light, seatbelt etc.) are all still on. Even though I pulled the key out, they still stay on.

So....I pulled the negative battery cable out, and everthing is back to normal. So then I call it quits for the day. Real creepy...

What is the matter with my TRUCK!? (Plus, I have to drive her her tommarow. Will she survive the trip?)
Old 10-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Somewhere along the way something is shorted and is telling the starter to start. You're going to have to get a hold of the wiring diagrams and a multimeter and systematically test and eliminate possible shortage areas. For an easy check, I'd start with the remote starter.

It's tedious work, but it's the only thing I can think of. You can help yourself by looking at the maze of wiring diagrams and try to logically figure out which systems are tied together and what the symptoms are telling you.