Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My 1st shot at modding. couple questions for the veterans

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1st shot at modding. couple questions for the veterans

Ok im a car-parts complete novice so my technical vocabulary is quite limited. Right now i have a BONE STOCK 94 4runner 4WD 5Spd. My plans for my first set of mods (of what im sure will be a NEVERENDING PROCESS ) are HD rear coils and rear spacer, and a front lift by modifying the torsion bar setting.

My stock measurements are
11in rim - wheel well in the rear.
13.5 in rim - wheel well in the front.

after the mods the predicted height is ~ 14.5 in in the rear and ~ 14.5 in the front. Im probably going to go with Edlebrock rear shocks ( im going to call them and see what to do about rear length vs stock shock length since im doing a spacer in addition to HD longer coils. ) and probably no new front shocks for now ( already hitting my budget for phase I )

ok here come the questions

my friend who is helping me with the mods said i may get vibrations in the driveline due to the increased axle angle in the rear ( something about front/rear axles not turning in phase ?) . If/when this happens whats the best/least expensive solution (poor college student :pat: ) . Next question, since im only going for ~ a 1 in increase in the front is it necesarry to get manual hubs ? and about the hubs, in the performance products magazine i have theres something called an "offroad solutions manual hub conversion kit" for ~ $900 includes warn hubs and TOYOTA wheel bearings and maybe some other things. is that necesarry vs just warn hubs for ~ $120 ?

im sure ill be needing more assistance as this process continues.
ANY and ALL help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:42 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey, glad you made it to the forum.

When you raise up the rear higher with the added 1.5" spacer with the rear coils, you will need a new panhard drop bracket.

Here is a good post by member Luke.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ghlight=Downey

You can see the new panhard drop bracket which aligns your rear axle properly after lifting higher with the pacers & coils.
Actually with just the Downey's on the back of mine, I need a new drop bracket also.
I'd show you pics, but my site is down for a few hours for an upgrade by the server admin where I host my site.

Here is some more info on the spacers.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ghlight=Downey

You should always get a set of manual hubs when dialing in more lift with the T bars.
A lot of members are having success with this new online Yota place.
www.yotayard.com

The price is right, and a lot cheaper than other places to pick up a set of used Aisin factory manual hubs.

That kit you saw in the Perf catalog is for '96 and on up Toyota that have the rack & pinion steering, not us '89 to '95 folks.

The Aisin hubs are your best bet as they came factory on lots of Toyotas and are bullet proof.
We also have install articles in the Tech section on how to put them on.

Hope this helps,
Old 04-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

ok i called downey and the coils/spacer comes with the panhard drop bracket etc so thats all taken care of. i left an email to yotayard about the manual hubs. only thing left is my shocks.

ive seen on several posts people using rancho 5009s or 9009s on thier 4runners with similar setups to how mine will be. when i talked to downey i asked the guy what shocks were needed and he said rancho 5179s were recommended. so i looked on ranchos website and here the specs on the 5009 vs 5179

15.625 compressed
26.25 extended

14 compressed
22.25 extended

so my thoughts are either the downey guy on the phone was looking at stock shock length, or people bought shocks with dimensions off what it needed. im pretty confused as to what i should do.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Okay as one broke college student to another, I can feel your pin, I went pretty close to bellyup when I lifted my 3rd gen. I say your on the right path with the lift, you also need to consier tires as an expense for the lift, if you are planning on that at all. It doesn't look all that bad keeping stock tires under a lifted tuck. I'm planning on getting a 2nd gen here pretty soon so I'll be in the blocks for questions and suggestions not to soon after that, so your quesions are helping me alot as well. I would say for your shocks qestion to go with some HD Bils. they are really stff but they offer a great ride(truck like ) and they supposodly never quit in the long haul. I've only had mine for about 1 year and a half, but everyone that has run Bils. longer will tell you they are worth every penny. I'm not sure if they offer an xtended lenght for lifted trucks though, I kept stock length even under the 2.5" put on, I wish I had gone longer just t see if there was a diff. but I ride just fine w/ stock lenght. I think I would shoot for entended lnht shock if you could find them, but stock lenght won't hurt anything, maybe flex, not sure. I'm soure someone will chime in soon and help ya out some more.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

hey Stump1883, you're from high point? thats where im going to do the work on it whenever i get all my parts. my room-mate knows a guy in high point that apparently has a hydraulic lift he is gonna let me use. if you want i can let you know when i do it and you can come help/observe. probably be on a friday or saturday afternoon sometime in the next 4-8 weeks
Old 04-10-2003, 03:46 PM

Hey NCSU-4Runner. Good to see more North Carolina guys on this forum. Im actually planning on attending NCSU next year after I graduate. Hoping to major in some division of engineering. Anyways, good luck and welcome to the forum.

Dave
Old 04-10-2003, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Wish I could help more with your mods but as an NC State graduate I'm glad to see another NC guy on the forum.

I'm pretty new to the forum, but welcome all the same.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Well dang NC boys unite, never seen that there was this many of us here, I only knew of Prolax13 and a few other uys Welcome everyone. NCSU-4runner that would be awsome, I would love to see how a 2nd gen Runner gets it lift done, that way I would be knoledgable for my liftin future. I'm off every Friday, donew/ classes by 1:00. But I work every Saterday all day @ the good ol Home Depot . But whatever you need to do you do, if things workout I would be interested in finally meeting someone from the board. Whenever you settel on a date and time, and if the offer is still open and cool with everyone then let me know. Prolax you should be getting your lift together soon. I actully have a prposition for you on some Bils. catch me online sometime and ask me about um. If not I'l get a hold of ya and let ya know what I'm thinking
Old 04-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

yea man it would be real cool if you could come when we do the lift since its in your home town. its most likely to be a friday afternoon in the end anyway so that works for you from what you said in the post. hey prolax, thats cool you are coming to state, im in the engineering program, was originally mechanical engineering but switched to materials engineering.

either of you guys use Instant Messenger ( JMG4runner for me ) ? lemme know, it would be cool to talk in real time. we should have an NC yotatech member trail ride sometime

still waiting to hear from the edlebrock tech support on what to do for my rear shocks . . . other than that everything is in place for the lift
Old 04-11-2003, 06:45 AM

I have 13.75" in the rear and 14.75" in the front and the back is slightly higher than the front. Going 14.5" all the way around will give you a very ass high look.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:09 AM

I had vibration problems with my 4" Trailmaster lift. I couldn't completely get rid of the vibrations so I took off the lift. If you get vibrations because of your lift, I recommend you start at the u-joints. Lube them up really well, but if that doesn't work, get them replaced. If that still doesn't work, get your driveshaft balanced.

-mangoango
Old 04-11-2003, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

That's awsome man I would love to get with ya for the lift and then start to do some trail rides together, if you want to test ou your new liftlet me know that and I could show you afew place to test her out too. As for the NC yotatech trail ride I would love that,but I need to get another Runner under my feet before that heppens, I can't damage this one if I expect to sell it. Maybe sometime in the summer we could all get together and go to Uwaharii( BIG SP) , I got a bunch of friends that would make the run with us to make it larger,76' Land Crusier(4" lift, 33 X Terrians), Land Rover(recently rolled after putting a 3" lift on, we'll see what happens with that one) and a Jeep Cherokee on MTRs.
AIM names, mine is my name from here, Stump1883, and I'll let Prolax give ya his, that's not my choice to do so, but he and I talk alot about our Runners already. This is a great community of guys, with LOTS and LOTS of ieas for you to break your wallet on .
Bilstien makes an extended shock for lifted Jeeps, I wonder if there is an extended series for Yota's, if the Eldebrock gusy fal through give Bilstien acall and ask about the 5100 series shocks, I'm gona call and ask about them sometime too, I wanna know what's the deal w/the 5100 fitting a yota myself. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:48 PM

Id be happy to talk with you sometime bout 4Runners. My AIM is Prolax013.

Stump, just IM me sometime when Im on.

Oh and... Id love to join in on that sometime. However, I probably need to finish saving up for my lift and get that taken care of first. Btw, are you guys getting all this crappy weather there that Im getting here? Raining almost every day. Hopefully it will get better so I can go out sometime soon.

Dave
Old 04-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like Victor said, with spacers you will be very high in the rear. You get 1.5 inches from coils alone and another 1.5in from the spacers. Remember, these measurements are from stock, factory height, NOT from your sagging height now.

I only have the HD springs in the back now and no lift in the front (no cranking) and I am slightly higher in the back.

Oh, and if you only go with the HD springs, then you shouldn't have vibration problems. It's probably not enough to make a difference. You get vibrations because the ujoints get worn in at a certain angle. Then when you lift it, the joints are at a different angle.

Steve

Last edited by Robinhood150; 04-11-2003 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

Prolax if I'm ever on and see you there I'll give ya a shout. yes we are getting this crappy weather, it sucks, an of course today being Saterday the one day this week that I have to work ALL DAY and it's suny and beautiful, my girfriend has the entier day free and I can't go out and do a dang thing about it. Stupid Home Depot, everyone here on this bored, boycot Home Depot, the whole company is going to hell in a handbag anyways, or at least they are in NC, and then theyould be forced to drop my hours and I could acually live my life and have some fun. Ah but that would be only in a perfect world, but now I must get off, and head in to work . Robinhood150 you seem to be very knoledgeable about lifting 2d gens. I'll be talking to you some time soon when I get my new one and get enough $$$ to lift. Should be sometime in the summer.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi NCSU, I'm another Carolinian, From the coast though. The weather has sucked for the past 2 weeks, no sun as of 10:30am, supposed to come out today though and be in the 70's instead of 40's like the past week. Good luck on your mods. I went with OME standards and got a 2 1/2 in lift in the rear. My rear is a little more than 1" higher than the front. I'm still waiting for it to settle. So far no driveline vibrations.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Bump for a WAY old thread.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:33 PM

holy crap look how much things can change in 4 years from a complete novice to having one of the most ba 4runners on here solid axle with a supra engine
Old 11-13-2007, 03:35 PM

yah i know when i was first started reading it i was like my 1st mode, doesnt this guy have a chopped top sas 7gmte
Old 11-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

blah blah blah, im still a noobie. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Quick Reply: My 1st shot at modding. couple questions for the veterans