Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

MSD DIGITAL IGNITION 3rd Gen Anyone want to see pics? write up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSD DIGITAL IGNITION 3rd Gen Anyone want to see pics? write up?

This weekend, I will finally get around to pre wiring my MSD Digital ignition for my 3.4 3rd Gen 4 Runner.

Having built and raced cars for years, and worked at a performance shop all through college I am very confident in MSD and have seen real world results.

I am sure I will pick up 1-2 MPG as well as a real seat of the pants performance gain. I would bet 10 -15 HP.....for each firing of the ignition there is a multiple spark discharge and it is in general a much more powerful spark.

I ended up with the box as a trade deal along with the tach adapters, so for basically no money it will be a nice upgrade, add some power, also will aid in starting in cold winter months.

On most occasions have picked up 1-2 tenths in the quarter mile when adding an MSD, this of course was coupled with the fact that I could run more timing without detonation,,because of the better spark MSD provides.

The 3.4 needs all the help it can get.

Post responses should people want a write up, hell I may be able to go to my friends shop and use his dyno for before and after pulls for all the doubters..

Tim
Old 07-21-2006, 05:45 AM

Some dyno runs would be awsome. Do you need 3 moduals? one to replace each coilpack? Or is this something totally different?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by gregbreakseverything
Some dyno runs would be awsome. Do you need 3 moduals? one to replace each coilpack? Or is this something totally different?

you use the factory coils, it wires into that

I will see about the dyno, I will take pics, do a write up etc
Old 07-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

I would be interested to see what kind of gains you can get out of this. I always used to see these systems in the Perf Prod catalog, but for some reason I didn't think it would make a difference or be applicable to a 3.4... maybe I thought I didn't have a problem so why mess with it. A write-up would be nice if the gains are worth it. How difficult is it to install?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:52 AM

cool, you wouldnt happen to have a average joe price on these would you? Or are you going to make me search for one.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:56 AM

I would say 400 bucks for the whole shooting match

I bet used stuff online, off ebay about 200 bucks

also if you bought one and it did have a problem

msd will do it over, entirely for like 50 bucks
Old 07-21-2006, 05:59 AM

I was actually surprised that there wasn't much playing with the ignition and computers on this forum. There is alot of people that will do anything to get that lil' more out of thier 4runner.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tim, I'd definately be interested in seeing some dyno before and after runs!
Pics would be great too and witeup would just be bonus.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Tim, I'd definately be interested in seeing some dyno before and after runs!
Pics would be great too and witeup would just be bonus.
I will check on the dyno, but not sure time, mine and his will allow such

pics and write up,,will def happen!
\
p.s. MTL I ahve a used, 10K evap on the way,,,,,from another yotatecher,,,thing is I think one thing killed the other,,,,,the old cat was killed by the old evap, then when the new evap was put in,,the inefficiency of the old cat,,,,killed the new evap

this is my theory,,,

Last edited by BOSTON4RUNNER; 07-21-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

man I put one of those Crain multispark ignition upgrades on my 22re. Got a spark tester spark was weak before and bold after. Increased gap to .36 with iridime plugs don't know bout no dyno just look in mirror as I gas it down gravel driveway big As far as install goes there are a lot of wires for different setups ie turbo's and ignition theftproof but basically it's just wired between igniter and cap.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:43 AM

I am always interested in 'real' dyno runs. Too many people are quick to write off products due to what other people say. Products improve and change over time, a product that didn't have any gains three years ago will hopefully have changed.

BTW I run a MSD on my other car .
Old 07-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

I swear someone tried an MSD module a long time ago, but I don't remember who or what ever came of it (good/bad/neutral).
In any case we are all curious how you make out after.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:53 AM

yo tim,

post up some pic of ur set-up. what are some advantage and dis?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I swear someone tried an MSD module a long time ago, but I don't remember who or what ever came of it (good/bad/neutral).
In any case we are all curious how you make out after.
NX Tacoma had the msd setup and 150 shot of nos I had the oppurtunity to check out his setup and the company that installed it ended up having to custom build 3 coil packs.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by blink
NX Tacoma had the msd setup and 150 shot of nos I had the oppurtunity to check out his setup and the company that installed it ended up having to custom build 3 coil packs.
I find it very bizarre...

you do need to use two MSD tach adapters for the set up,,,but factory coils are fine

seems I will need to make a very detailed build up thread of this project,,,,
Old 07-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by blink
I also remember when NX Tacoma first joined he was asking about the Nitrous, and despite warnings of destruction he put it in. Then, like two weeks later he got on again saying he was looking for a new engine because he blew his up :pat:
Old 07-21-2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mastacox
I also remember when NX Tacoma first joined he was asking about the Nitrous, and despite warnings of destruction he put it in. Then, like two weeks later he got on again saying he was looking for a new engine because he blew his up :pat:
We learn (hopefully) from mistakes - (hopefully) not our own.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mastacox

Interesting how that works.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

I saw zero gains on two other vehicles (both were cap/rotor/single external coil) with MSD set-ups. The 5VZ has a very efficient COC ignition; I seriously doubt anyone is going to see + 1-2 MPG and 10 - 15 HP gains on a N/A motor with standard compression. If you start getting into forced induction, NOS, or increased compression ratio's - maybe, but even then those numbers are wishful thinking IMHO.

If anything, throttle response will be improved but that's about it. By all means prove me wrong though (with some data) and I will be happy to eat my words!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

NOS is not detrimental to an engine at all. Now with that said, allow me to explain, it must be an engine enginerred and built for NO2. If you dont have the compression, and the air, and the fuel, and the piston rings for it, your gonna kill it. Simple as that. NO2 is nothing more than an oxidizer, it seperates oxygen from the rest of the air, and makes it almost pure oxygen in your Combustion chamber, which allows the fule to more burn hotter, quicker, and more completely. when used sparingly, No2 can be fantastic!! But people who strap a 150 shot on a stock motor should just put it in neutral, and stomp the gas, and rev it up till it explodes, save themselves time.
But on other fronts, yes we would lvoe to see a write up on the MSD ignition, I too, am unsure of the gains one will see on our 3.4's, but if you can, I'd love to be wrong. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: MSD DIGITAL IGNITION 3rd Gen Anyone want to see pics? write up?