Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

motor boggin

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
motor boggin

ok i have a 22re motor, just redone up, timing, new cam decarbonized, head gasket, valve gasket. I had this probolm before the work to motr was done as well. Sometimes when i have the gas like half way, the motor boggs and struggles. if i keep the pedal there eventually it would kick in like with a sudden bust of or power kinda like a v-tec or vvti motor. If i feel it bogg i uslallty floor it and everything seem fine at wot. BUt there has been days where i floored it and it would struggle to build rpms and then as described as above just kick in. When im at idle somes times im idle fine at 1k and sometimes its idles at .5 just at the point where the motor is about to stall. Im going to try a new set of plugs, wires, cap and distributor and see where thats takes me. I went with chanpion truck plugs and im going to see if that will help. Also can someone tell me the proper gap for a 22re motor for plugs? Ive lost my manual. im open to suggestions if somone feels that its somthing other than the ignition system
Old 03-31-2003, 04:59 PM

Same prob

You know dude...I've been having that same problem lately...Just the past couple of days though....I've noticed that since the weather has been getting warmer here in Maine my truck has been running fine....But I went trail runnin the other day and went through some nice slush and mud with some H2O....then it got alittle colder and started snowing again....Since then...I've been experiencing that same thing....I heard mention from another person in here about the cold start injectors or something to that effect...I have no idea what they do but to me it sounds logical. Perhaps they are clogged (if they even get clogged) Could be water in the fuel line as well...I think that I'm going to wait till the weather warms up a bit to see if I notice a difference in my trucks behavior before I really delve too deeply into it. If my presumptions are correct then when the weather gets warmer then my truck should return to it's normal behavior then that will give me a better understanding as to why it was acting the way it was when it was cold. I checked all my plugs and my distributer today while the sun was out and they looked fine. So I'm at a loss too.....If I find anything out I'll let ya know...and visa versa..please....

Bryce
Old 03-31-2003, 05:14 PM

yea its weird, im gonna try using some dry gas too. I do tend to have the habbit of using the cheaper gas like stop and shop gas, and everyone knows that their gas is watered down. but i dont have the money to pay for the brand name gas (shell) at a cost of the arm or leg. Im a broke college student. So ill try that and see if that helps along with a fuel system cleaner
Old 03-31-2003, 05:19 PM
CTB

You may possibly have a clogged injector(s) or a clogged fuel filter.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:01 PM

I'll have to try that too...Run some dry gas, injector cleaner, change the plugs....you know...Spring cleaning...lol
Old 03-31-2003, 06:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my truck occasionally has the same symptoms, usually when cold. it will get up and go fine the first time, then when i get to the end of my street, stop and get going again, it will bog down in second gear when i gas it. it will then kick in if i let up off the gas and push it back down. after i stop again i will usually idle around 700 rpm, then things will get to normal after the engine warms up
Old 04-01-2003, 03:39 AM

Right on the nose!!! Exactly....I read your post and could see myself in my truck doing exactly what you described....lol
Old 04-01-2003, 05:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, then that means that I am not going crazy also. When I first start the truck (I can let it sit anywhere from 1-20 mins. and this still happens) the first time I start going and hit second gear the truck does the same thing. It boogs down like someone turned down the power setting for a bit and all of a sudden takes back off. After that happens it doesn't do it again until after the next time I start the truck back up.
So I was thinking same thing clog fuel system. Replaced fuel filter and have ran 4 tanks in a row with fuel system cleaner, didn't neeed a tune up since everything was replaced 15k ago with new rebuilt motor. It still does it after all the cleaner ran thru it and the new filter?
Anyone solve this let us know.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:59 AM

I usually run Regular unleaded in my truck....Today I filled it with 93 octane and added some Heet water in the fuel line remover, and some injector cleaner.....It ran o.k for awhile....Got to where I was going....Got back in the truck some hours later and boom...Doin it again!!! WTF....I don't get it.....Please if anyone finds anything out about this seemingly annoying the piss out of alot people problem....then post....lol
Old 04-01-2003, 01:07 PM

Question

:pat: Hey guys,after reading your post,it could be all of the above.One other thing to check is the air suction valve(asv).If you have this on your 22re,it's located under the throttle body.It has a black plastic cover on the front with about a 1/2" rubber tube running to the bottom left of the throttle body.This valve acts similar to a choke on a carbed motor.You can check it 2 different ways.(1)With the engine warm and running,crimp the rubber tube with pliers or visegrips.The engine should only drop about 50rpm.If the engine smooths out or rpms rise,the asv gate valve is hung open.(2)Shut the truck off with the engine warm.Pull the tube off the asv.take a long narrow screwdriver and insert it into where the tube was attached.Kinda wiggle it around to see if it'll slide in 3-4 inch.If it does,the gatevalve is hung open.You can remove the plastic cover by removing the 4 phillips screws.With the engine cold,the valve should be open.With it warm,it should be closed.I'm having a similar problem,but mine is caused by an aftermarket ign.coil.Good luck!