Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Motive Power Brake Bleeder 0251 Worth its weight in GOLD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Motive Power Brake Bleeder 0251 Worth its weight in GOLD!

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to take this opportunity to testify about a great product to assist in power bleeding brakes and clutch assemblies for YOATS!

Recently, I had a blast muddin' and covered my entire truck, outside and underside, with about 3" of very sticky mud! About a week after cleaning her I noticed I still had a good amount of dried mud between the rear springs and the backheads to the drums. I took a broom handle and started to wack the clumps to break them up. I was hitting something hard on the passenger side which I thought was a mud clump, but it turned out to be the brake line. After knocking mud down, I jumped in the truck and pressed on the brake to start, and wham! my foot hit the floor. I knew that wasn't good. The pedal didn't come up. I started to drive away, and touched the brakes again, and wham! down to the floor she went. I stopped, got out and inspected all four corners to find my passenger side rear mudder glazed like a stroudel or donut with brake fluid.

Well, I parked the truck and proceeded to go inside and purchase on line, Motive Power's Power Brake Bleeder 0251, specifically designed with the proper adapters to fit YOATS! I ordered it from www.trackhaus.com for $59.95 with the catch bottle for an additional $15.95. I then got all the brake fluid, brake cleaner, liquid wrench/PB, and ordered the brake line from TOYOTA. Good thing I did. Last one in the country for the 84 truck/4Runner.

This morning, I got up at 7AM and proceded to complete my repair. The first thing I did was jack the truck and remove the passenger rear tire, and by hand, clean out all the remaining mud. I had already for the past week, sprayed down every bleeder valve and the brake line couplings with liquid wrench, so it hopefully would be easy. It was.

I first removed the brake line. Simple enough. Replacement was easy too! I then loose fit, mounted the tire back on and jacked the other side of my rig up and took the drivers side tire off, as you bleed from LR Drivers, RR Pass, FR Pass, FL Drivers, then LSPV. I first took the adapter to the master cylinder. Placing the tabs at 12 and 6 parallel to the MC, I turned to 2 and 8. The J hooks and chain created a great seal on the MC-no leaks. I connected the adapter hose to the tank hose, tightening the fitting which take a 5/8 and 9/16 wrenching. I pumped to 10 PSI and checked for leaks. I did have an air leak at the fitting of hoses because I didn't snug them up enough. After torquing, all was air tight.

I removed the top, emptying 2 bottles of 32oz Prestone Synthetic DOT3 Approved Brake Fluid. Sealing the tank back up, I pumped to 15 PSI. I checked the MC to see if I had any leaks. Not one! Good so far. I proceded then to bleed the system.

(I had a print out on the review of this product from www.4x4wire.com and how to do this job to have/use as a guide/back up.)

All bleeds went very well. Air and brown goop, similar to like the chocolate syrup not mixed at the bottom of the glass came out of my system. I'm sure the truck hadn't been completely bled in the 20 years of its existance. Each wheel went very well, not spilling any brake fluid anywhere. The catch bottle for the system is well worth the money spent!

After bleeding the entire system and disconnecting the tank, I checked my brakes. Rock hard (little pedal give) and great stopping action! By far better than I've ever had since I bought my rig 3 months ago.

Cleanup was a breeze. 4 bottles of 90% Isopropyl Alcohol cleaned the catch bottle and the tank. Afterwards I rinsed with water as all parts are primarily plastic or rubber and all metal components are sealed.

It took me 3 hours to do the job, only because I took my time. I never completely bled the brakes before, and this system made it a breeze. Not one drop spilt and the product lived up to its claims! Thank you L-rd for helping me, giving me success, and bringing such a great product to my aid!

In closing I can only say that the investment in this product is well worth it. You won't be disappointed. Shop around as the price seems to be equivalent across the boards, but you may be able to get free shipping.

Now all I have to do is bleed the clutch assembly and I'm good to go!

Hope this helps someone.

Randy
MUDN4RNR
Old 01-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Nic

Funny, I flushed my brakes the same day (for the first time) with the Motive Bleeder. Great product. Although, I had a harder time initially getting a good seal. However, its very convenient. Definitely makes brake work a one man job.

By the way, if your truck is a manual, don't forget to do your clutch.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:24 AM

WORD OF ADVICE if you have a 2002 4runner or above Motive does not have an adapter for your application. *It does not fit ALL Yotas*