Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

More fog light frustration!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More fog light frustration!

So you might remember the fog lights i bought in october went kaput. I tried everything i could think of, and finally bought a used pair that worked from the previous owner.
I hooked everything along with brand new hella yellowstar bulbs and turned on the headlights....nothing. Everything was hooked up correctly and i could hear/feel the relay clicking but the fog lights will NOT come on. Anyone know what the problem could be?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did your 4Runner have fog lights from the factory?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Do you know how to use a test light? If so then check to see if you have power going into the lights itself. If not then work your way backwards to the switching assembly and power supply. If you do have power to the power side of the light then reverse the test light and check for ground. I've seen simple bad grounding problems in 75% of my friends aftermarket add ons and even in the shop.
If possible explain how you have everything wired up then I may can walk you through some of the diagnostic steps. PM me if you need to as I don't get on YT often anymore.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:49 PM

My Fog Lights are not from the factory, they are a kit made for the SR5 from Toyota. I wired them up using the fog light connection that comes on the car and then all the other connections I ended up having the dealer do cause I could not figure it out.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:59 PM

Huh, thats what I did too but I used the kit from Hella. I was just curious from my experience with the Hella the kit is tells you which color wires and location on the harness to wire them under the dash, problem is one of the location on my car was a different color Hella said. But it seems like yours used to work so you probably not the case.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

So the dealer fixed them already?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
Do you know how to use a test light? If so then check to see if you have power going into the lights itself. If not then work your way backwards to the switching assembly and power supply. If you do have power to the power side of the light then reverse the test light and check for ground. I've seen simple bad grounding problems in 75% of my friends aftermarket add ons and even in the shop.
If possible explain how you have everything wired up then I may can walk you through some of the diagnostic steps. PM me if you need to as I don't get on YT often anymore.
This definitely would work if it can be done, however it is hard to follow the wires since they almost directly go into a harness on the 99-02 4Runners.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by mpavolka
Huh, thats what I did too but I used the kit from Hella. I was just curious from my experience with the Hella the kit is tells you which color wires and location on the harness to wire them under the dash, problem is one of the location on my car was a different color Hella said. But it seems like yours used to work so you probably not the case.
the kit i bought said toyota kit on the side but the housing, relay, and instructions were all hella. I Ran into the same problem with the wire color as well and thats why I took it to the dealer to be finished.

I have not taken it to the dealer to get fixed, I am gonna call and see if they will look at it since they were the ones that did all the technical wiring.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:10 PM

Yea, when in doubt blame the dealership! Yea if they wired it make it their problem.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure the connections IN the light are good. I had the same problem, yet, I opened up the lights, and found that the ground was touching with the positive cable. This was shorting out the system, sounds a bit different for you, but, could be an issue.

The most common thing is grounds. Make sure your ground is correctly attached, I'd try going straight to the neg. battery terminal for testing.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mpavolka
This definitely would work if it can be done, however it is hard to follow the wires since they almost directly go into a harness on the 99-02 4Runners.
If you have a good wiring diagram and can access a connector you can still check for power/ground. I'm just trying to keep it simple and get a shortcut as I do at work by starting at the problem area to check if it has power, if it does then you can eliminate everything from the power supply and concentrate on the part itself and the ground side.

edit: Well it may not include a wiring diagram if it was not original equipment. If the dealer can base it on a factory wiring setup they may can follow it, but if not they may charge you heavy diagnostic time due to having to track down the wires. A master tech and I blitzed a customer with an 11hour diagnostic charge because they wired up their turn signal lights, fog lights, and head lights with different color wires than factory ones in the wrong places and we had to trace every single one of them while trying not to pull our hairs out. Just something to be aware of...

Last edited by Ironmike4x4; 02-28-2008 at 05:53 PM.