Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

More 05 Tacoma Impessions

Old 10-25-2004, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More 05 Tacoma Impessions

Had an 05 Tacoma for a few hours Saturday morning. All of my opinions are formed by two things: expectations I have formed from lots of reading and my feelings about my current 4Runner.

2005 Tacoma
V6, Auto tranny
Double cab, Long Box
TRD Sport Package
Tow Package
The other usuals
$30,xxx

Engine/Power & Transmission:
Everything is very smooth. Power is applied evenly thoughout the RPM band, shifts are smooth. The truck is by no means quick. At very low speeds, my 4Runner feels like it has a bit more jump, but the Tacoma does have more power across the board, especially at higher speeds. I guess the best way to put it is that the Tacoma has more power, but my 4Runner is more responsive at the gas pedal. I also noticed that the Tacoma wasn't especially quiet. It was by no means loud, but not as quiet as I was expecting for a brand new Toyota. Engine noise was slightly better than in my 4Runner - road noise was far better (though the tacoma didn't have MTs, so...)

Power is still a concern for me.

Suspension/Ride/Handling:
One of my biggest disappointments from my initial test drive was the handling. I thought the truck felt big and had a tendancy to wallow in turns. As such, I spent a fair amount of time getting a feel for the Tacoma on twisty back country roads. All of my previous disappointments have been erased. The tacoma is obviously not a sports car, but it rides and handles very well for what it is - a relatively large pickup truck.

The truck does tend to lean just a bit as you enter a turn, but the body roll stops there. I wasn't Mario Andretti with this truck by any means, but I did so some "spirited" driving, and the the truck did great. It was smooth and confident in the turns. The suspension was solid over rough roads. If you want a fun commute to work every day, this is not the vehicle for you... however, I would have no problems driving this truck on a daily basis - and I cover about 30 miles of back country roads between my house and work.

Feel/Fit/Finish:
I didn't spend a lot of time here, but there are some things worth pointing out. The seats (at least the driver's seat) is super comfortable. There is some nice side bolstering and manual lumbar support which fits my 5-8 175lb frame very nicely. The back seats are also pretty decent. I put the driver's seat where it would be if I were driving, then sat in the back. I didn't have a ton of room, but my knees did NOT hit the seatback. The angle of the rear seatback is good, and I would have no problem sitting in the back on an extended drive. I also had my 2-year old daughter (and her car seat) in the truck. She also fit very well. She is very tall for her age (taller than my 3-year old neice), and her toes just barely touched the seatback. By my estimates, there is bascially the same amount of room in the back of the tacoma as there is in the back of my 4Runner.

The dash/insturment panel seemed good - controls seemed to be in good place, easily reachable. Steering wheel mounted radio controls are kind of nice.

The truck I had came with a heavy (rubber?) bed mat. I thought it was very cool... not sure how functional it would be to someone who really but the truck though the ringers, but for light duty use, it would be a good thing to have. There are also adjustable tie downs in the bed - very handy. And Toyota finally remembered to put the oil filter in a good location (top front driver's side corner, kind of in line with the spark plugs) so oil changes would no longer be a nightmare.

Looks/Aesthetics:
I really only have 2 major issues here: first is the 265/65-17 Dunlop Grandtreks that came on the truck. They are rated M+S, but I can't imagine they would never survive a winter here in the northeast. The other thing is the hood scoop. It looks OK from the outside, but front the driver's seat, it kind of gets in the way. I've never been a hood scoop guy though, so take this for what it's worth.

I'm not a big fan of the chrome grille/rear bumper, but the sport package takes care of this. The interior is very nice, though the dash/instrument cluster looks a bit like it came out of a car - nice, just a bit "soft".

Over all - 4 stars (out of 5).
Old 10-25-2004, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Good Review!
So are you going to get one?
Old 10-25-2004, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
Good Review!
So are you going to get one?
Dunno... I really like it, and would love to have one. It meets all my needs, and I think it's a decent buy at $30k. But the practicle side of me still cringes at the though of paying $30k for a V6 Tacoma when $33k would get me a V8 Tundra. Never mind when the 06 full size tundras come out, I could probably get an 05 V8 Tundra for $30k, maybe less.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

I'm looking at a double cab tundra as well. We have the access cab one, and its nice, but the rear seat has no leg room. I figure I can get a limited DC tundra, for about $33K in a few months.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jackson, those are one of the 4th Gen 'Runner tire types that get mixed (being kind) reviews.

sdastg1, your best chance at a deal will be the last week in December '04. Deals will be had near build out, July-August '05, but by then expect one or two price increases as Toyota ups the MSRP so the all-new '06 Tundra price increase won't look so cruel when compared to final '05 Tundra MSRP.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:33 AM

I used the "Build Your Own" at Toyota.com to configure a 05 Tacoma DC 4x4 Shortbed w/ the Off-road package. That with just a couple of simple accessories came to $32750! I paid $30750 for my 03 4R 4x4 V8 SE. I wonder if there will be a significant reduction due to negotiating or if they will hold MSRP as it is the new model. I think this is pretty expensive ... was thinking of selling my T100 and the 4R and getting the DC, but now I don't thinks it's such a great idea.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by AndroT100
I used the "Build Your Own" at Toyota.com to configure a 05 Tacoma DC 4x4 Shortbed w/ the Off-road package. That with just a couple of simple accessories came to $32750! I paid $30750 for my 03 4R 4x4 V8 SE. I wonder if there will be a significant reduction due to negotiating or if they will hold MSRP as it is the new model. I think this is pretty expensive ... was thinking of selling my T100 and the 4R and getting the DC, but now I don't thinks it's such a great idea.

I hope toyota plans to come out with a replacement that is in a price range the lower consumer can afford witha price tag like that I won't be leaning to a new truck any time soon. I still think it looks way way too much like a chevy colorado.. I think one needs to have these two trucks parked side by side for the review....
Old 10-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BT17R
sdastg1, your best chance at a deal will be the last week in December '04. Deals will be had near build out, July-August '05, but by then expect one or two price increases as Toyota ups the MSRP so the all-new '06 Tundra price increase won't look so cruel when compared to final '05 Tundra MSRP.
That's a good point. I was going to wait for the 05 Tundra to come out and try to get an 05 at a discount...
Old 10-25-2004, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by AndroT100
I had to pretend I was in California to get to the "Build Your Own" for a 2005. Mississippi still has the 2004's listed. There are some great deals on the 2004's. No 2005's on site yet. Tubb
Old 10-26-2004, 06:22 PM

In-depth check out of a Tacoma TRD accesscab today. It's great! All interior is like a cheap version of the 4Runner. It's cheaper but doesn't look cheap. Good job.

The rr seats fold up 60/40 to reveal hidden compartments and the bed is cool! The SMC feels like rhinolined steel. It even sounds like steel when you tap it. It's got all kinds of cubby holes molded into it and the outlet is awesome! Plug your tools right in! The divider track is ok, didn't really interest me tho.

The seats are sweet. I really like the seats, I want to put them in my 4Runner!

It listed for $19,500 + TRD pkg $4,300!! + assorted crap $680 and it wasn't even 4x4 yet! I think new ones are going for a premium--too much $$. Wait and it will be a good buy.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:49 PM

'05 Tacomas

Hi new to the forum.

I don't own a Tacoma, nor a Toyota for that matter. Just so you all know. But I am considering one.

However, one thing that really bugs me about the new Tacomas is the 4x4 double cab with the long box is NOT available with a manual tranny. Why is this??? Are they afraid that you're going to load it down with too much gear and people and burn out the clutch?

I've contacted Toyota about it, and they say that their "market research" has suggested that people don't want that version. Well then why is a manual available in all the other models but this one? How hard would it be for them to switch over trannys?

The access cab is useless to me, as well as a 5' box. Why do all manufacturers (except Nissan) stock their double cabs with short boxes? Baffles me.

Sorry for the rant.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Jackson,
drive the 6 speed, it will knock your socks off, i couldnt believe how fast it was.
if you do consider this truck for purchase, do yourself a favor and drive the 6 speed, its amazing.
just my $.02

-Casey
Old 11-01-2004, 09:41 PM

This truck seems great. Has anyone seen a review with the 6 speed? I agree that is sucks that they won't sell the long bed DC with the 6 speed. Maybe they'll offer it later.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

The manual would be really nice to have, but the dumb thing is that you cannot get the tow package (6,000 lb capacity), with the manual. Why cant they put a heavy duty clutch in it to match the auto's tow capacity?
Old 11-02-2004, 06:37 AM
Away

I've looked at a few new Tacos, just because I've been at the dealership lately for the repairs on my truck. I'm not interested in buying one. Anyway, I think they're ugly. I noticed also they changed the UCA's in the front and the ball joint is now pressed in... Kinda weird. They are also thinner and seems like they would clear larger tires a bit easier than the older design.

My .02
G