Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

more 03 damage

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more 03 damage

Always in threes. Last week…rock to the windshield, and nail in the tire.

Today an a$$hole drifted through the turning lane and left this damage. Plastic cladding performed brilliant, saving a great deal of paint scratches. One spot did however take a good hit from his side mirror. What can they do with a scratch like this? Appears to be mostly on the surface, with nothing too deep.

Old 04-22-2003, 04:23 PM

oooh ˟˟˟˟, sorry to hear that man
Old 04-22-2003, 04:27 PM

OUch....that's rough. Didn't even get to damage it in a fun way, either!+
Old 04-22-2003, 04:28 PM

That sucks. I always hate any damage to my vehicles. I hope everything turns out OK.

Martin
Old 04-22-2003, 04:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
absolut,

about the surface paint on the door, take some diluted nail polish remover (about 1:6 ratio of npr:water) and put it on an old cotton shirt or rag. it will come off. then re-polish and wax the area. trust me, the commander-in-chief comes home w/ paint scrapes on her bumpers all the time and this is the way i get them off.

bob
Old 04-22-2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
absolut,

about the surface paint on the door, take some diluted nail polish remover (about 1:6 ratio of npr:water) and put it on an old cotton shirt or rag. it will come off. then re-polish and wax the area. trust me, the commander-in-chief comes home w/ paint scrapes on her bumpers all the time and this is the way i get them off.

bob
Might be giving that a try, thanks.

I’ll be stopping by the dealer tomorrow to see what they have to say about the damage. Other guy's insurance will be picking up the $$.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for your pain but before you try to remove any marks take it to a body shop and get an estimate and have the other guy pay you and then pocket the money plus the added money for the rental then do it yourself.

The red marks are his paint so with some cleaner wax or WD40 they might come off with no effort, if that does not work try polishing compound but watch the clear coat, I never tried the nail polish but I have removed paint like that with a spray bottle of water and a soft cloth, it is easier than you realize, the red is his paint rubbed off on you.

Is the Rims scratched to the point where it needs to be replaced cause you can get an estimate for a new rim and then just swap it with the spare and bingo their you go 400 buck for a new Rim of course from the dealer cause they have the highest price, I know my spare stays where it is forever except the once or twice a year I clean it.

The running board is it just scuffed of bent slightly, you might be able to find a 2003 owner who took them off and wants to get rid of them cheap or this gives you a reason to take them off, can't really tell the extent of the Running Board damage.

It is not as bad as being hit by a boat and remember getting an estimate for all the things needed to be fixed or replace is not wrong or ripping the guy off, it is your vehicle that deserves to be fixed right even if you never take it to the body shop, plus you don't need this ˟˟˟˟ to begin with.

Make a Grand or 2 and pocket it, I would and have.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by EDGE
The running board is it just scuffed of bent slightly, you might be
Higher res pics here

Thanks for the suggestions. It will be interesting to see what the shop has for an estimate.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:25 PM

im sorry that sucks good luck with the estimate

Chris
Old 04-22-2003, 06:19 PM

oh no

no another 03 getting hit, sorry to hear that, hopes it will be fixed well and you get something more out of it.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:28 PM

Sorry to hear about your damage, hope you get it repaired at a good place and don't accept anything less than PERFECT!!!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by absolutvt2
Higher res pics here

Thanks for the suggestions. It will be interesting to see what the shop has for an estimate.
I took my Pathfinder into a shop and the guy wanted to repaint the whole rear door cause of some slight scratches that you could wash off see dirt pays off, "thats why don't touch or do anything to it" he wanted to replace all the emblems, amazing what the bill/estimate had on it a 1000 dollars was just labor to take all the stuff off to be replaced, in the end my Pathfinder was fixed with just a new rear bumper that was painted and I walked away with 1300 in my pocket plus a pair of Edmund Allen Shoes, paid 275 but hey the guy with the Ram paid me cash, I also got a 5 day Ford Expedition rental which he paid me for but I went with the Oldsmobile Alero 4 Door that I had for 2 days The Ford was 80 a day verse 30 for the Olds, That GM product had 10 miles on it and felt like it had 200k what a POS.

Looks like the plastic is slightly messed up, like I said get an estimate before you attempt to do anything, it might just need to be cleaned and then some of that plastic stuff like Mothers Back to Black or similar would restore it.

If you use it off road and your gonna hit the Boards and mess them up sort of like sleeper sliders then just pocket the money.

What was the guy driving cause most good drivers just don't cut across into other people.

Good Luck man
Old 04-23-2003, 03:00 AM

What was the guy driving cause most good drivers just don't cut across into other people.
’94 Celica (not the owner). Double right turning lanes. I was in the leftmost of the two, and as we turned through the corner he traveled into the left lane. The problem with this intersection is the right lane eventually merges into the left. So people travel the intersection merging through the turn instead of keeping their lane and merging further down the road.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:46 AM

That has to be the worse, around here their are many 2 lane turns into 2 lanes and so many times someone is going from the left into my lane but I just learned to fall back or speed ahead cause I don't think they know your on their side, and remember they have their own lane they are turning into:pat:

I never said anything about it but are you gonna get an estimate on the scratched side cladding, just thought I would bring it up cause the body shop guy I went to replace anything and everything that had a slight mark in it, his reason being was the truck was less than 8 months old and looked showroom new so why not keep it that way

Did you get an estimate yet.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:44 PM

I never said anything about it but are you gonna get an estimate on the scratched side cladding, just thought I would bring it up cause the body shop guy I went to replace anything and everything that had a slight mark in it, his reason being was the truck was less than 8 months old and looked showroom new so why not keep it that way

Did you get an estimate yet.
Scheduled estimate Thursday at Toyota/Lexus dealer. I will definitely ask for showroom new appearance. I'll let you know what they say about the cladding and $$...

-Kevin
Old 04-23-2003, 06:03 PM

Cool man, don't forget the replacement rim even though I would just swap it with the spare.

Hope all goes well and come out in your favor
Old 04-23-2003, 08:43 PM

reminds me of high school when someone showed up with new sneakers and we would all try to step on his new kicks.

my buddy got a new taco and he took me for a ride and I blasted one into his seat cushion he looked at me in shock and I replied " you should have gotten leather seats"
Old 04-23-2003, 08:58 PM

sorry to hear about that....

man dont take anything less than show room quality
Old 04-24-2003, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by teddy

....... I blasted one into his seat cushion"

Old 04-24-2003, 04:36 PM

Got the estimate. Replacing the cladding, wheel, and running board. The red mark should come out after a cleaning application. Amazing…the cladding was the least of my concern, but will be the highest cost ($500 for two pieces). Should be no more than 4 hours of work. I’ll post before and after pics on my site when its done.

-Kevin

Quick Reply: more 03 damage