Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

mod or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mod or not

I'm trying to fiqure out some future mods for my 4runner (96). It currently, has 161,xxx miles on it and I trying to plan out if I should mod it or not.

I've been thinking of getting some sliders and then some better skid plates etc. (lift/tires, front bumper, off-road lights, locker)
I've also been tooling around with the idea of either getting a 4runner w/ lower miles and with the e-locker or buying a 01-04 double cab tacoma trd (not a big fan of the new ones). I'm not sure at this time what I'm going to do, but if I keep my current 4runner I'll end up getting a car in case I f'up my runner.
So what do you guys think I should do and thanks for any replies.

I was going to post a poll but I can't fiqure it out.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:07 PM

As soon as $$ permits I'm looking to get some sliders and then maybe a new bumper tjm 17.

Thinking to mod in this order:
1. sliders
1A. new skid plates
2. front bumper
3. lift ss#7?
4. tires
5. aux. lights/battery for lights?
6. rear bumper (screwed mine up a bit )
7. way down the line locker

Misc. mods
99 headlight conversion and cup holder mod
roof basket??

I hate to say it but I'm kind of being a pansie about this since my 4runner has like 163,xxx miles on it.

Last edited by wormhole; 06-07-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
When I was in Moab this past Memorial weekend I think the group of 4Runners I was with started to realize that there are limitations of these vehicles that may not be found on other options such as the pickup you mention.

The best descriptive quote of the weekend in regards to driving the 2nd and 2rd Gen 4Runners on the trail:

"It's like trying to drive a 5,000 pound aquarium"

That's a perfect way to look at the 4Runner. All that glass and weight... probably not the best for more extreme trails, although all of them made it through Pritchett unscathed... so still plenty capable.

The moral of this rambling is that if you really want to go exploring and have fun without worrying to much about body damage, glass, etc... then you'd probably be wise to keep the shiny 4Runner shiny.

Seems like more than a few of the guys on this Moab trip came away planning a trail dedicated rig or happy they had already started one in their garage.

Your list of mods is a good one... it just all depends on what your ultimate goal is for the 4Runner and the type of trails you want to run.

Oh... I'd give the lockers a higher priority... they'll really change your vehicle for the better and add a lot of capability.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
do it..
Old 06-07-2007, 09:35 PM

Ya, I understand. A member from TTORA made the same comment.

My utlimate goal is to make it a little more trail worthy. I've kinda of taken it as far as I can go stock (wheeling wise) and I want to try some harder stuff (I get bored easily).
Old 06-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I think the sliders and armor (including rear bumper) would be a first great mod. Those things are a major bummer to put on after you needed them.

I'd stay as low as possible on any lift's you consider. Bare minimum for whatever tire size you choose to run. Lowest COG as possible on these 4Runners is a huge advantage.

Unless you add a ton of big lights, your current battery, assuming it's in reasonable condition, will probably work fine. Upgrading the alternator might be a good option though. Also, keep in mind that at idle the alternator does very little to help the battery... so use only the lights you really need when crawling.

Roof basket is going to eat your MPG, but might be a nice place to stow some gear for longer expeditions. Keep your COG in mind if you plan to load it up and still wheel though.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by wormhole
Ya, I understand. A member from TTORA made the same comment.

My utlimate goal is to make it a little more trail worthy. I've kinda of taken it as far as I can go stock (wheeling wise) and I want to try some harder stuff (I get bored easily).
There's plenty of members with very trail worthy 4runners.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 AM

I like those 4th gen double cabs, too. I would've bought one, if I could've gotten a good deal on one. If you're in the Salt Lake area, there are two at the Larry H Miller Toyota on 5500 S State. One is black and the other is red. They've both got lockers and the TRD package. One has 60k miles and the other one has 30k miles (don't remember which color). Both seem to be in great shape.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FUZION
Yeah, I'd like to think so.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:17 AM

Probably mod it. If you buy a newer you might not be ready to damage it.

My small foray into the off road world has changed my view on what my priorities should have been. A locker would be on top, then sliders, lift and tires.

Roofbaskets look great, but the concerns listed above detracts a bit from it.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FUZION
I'd never say the 4Runner isn't trail worthy...

... just that if you want one to stay nice, the trail might not be the best choice... no matter how many mods.

It all depends on what trails you want to try, and what obstacles you want to leave alone.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
do it..
Damn peer pressurers!!
I am at the same point so reading this thread I am sooooooooooooooo conflicted!
Old 06-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

I'm trying to fiqure out some future mods for my 4runner (96). It currently, has 161,xxx miles on it and I trying to plan out if I should mod it or not.

I've been thinking of getting some sliders and then some better skid plates etc. (lift/tires, front bumper, off-road lights, locker)
I've also been tooling around with the idea of either getting a 4runner w/ lower miles and with the e-locker or buying a 01-04 double cab tacoma trd (not a big fan of the new ones). I'm not sure at this time what I'm going to do, but if I keep my current 4runner I'll end up getting a car in case I f'up my runner.
So what do you guys think I should do and thanks for any replies.

I was going to post a poll but I can't fiqure it out.
I used to have a tacoma and I liked it, but and this is a Rosie Odonell size one for me is that you can't sleep in a tacoma. (I'm talking dubley cab here guys)
Its annoying and that is my favorite feature about my top heavy, and just plain heavy, and consequently slower 4runner.
To me, there is nothing better than pulling into camp about 5 minutes before being in a dead sleep. (I had to do this a couple of times on my utah trip)
In the morning I woke up next to an FJ cruiser that I was drooling over and I hopped back into the drivers seat and drove off. All the while drooling and forgot to realize I was gone and he was looking at 30-60 minutes of camp breakdown.
Mod it! You know you want to. Everybodies doing it!
Be sensible, by a trail rig and a civic

DO IT

Who knows
Old 06-08-2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
Well, I think the sliders and armor (including rear bumper) would be a first great mod. Those things are a major bummer to put on after you needed them .

I'd stay as low as possible on any lift's you consider. Bare minimum for whatever tire size you choose to run. Lowest COG as possible on these 4Runners is a huge advantage.

Unless you add a ton of big lights, your current battery, assuming it's in reasonable condition, will probably work fine. Upgrading the alternator might be a good option though. Also, keep in mind that at idle the alternator does very little to help the battery... so use only the lights you really need when crawling.

Roof basket is going to eat your MPG, but might be a nice place to stow some gear for longer expeditions. Keep your COG in mind if you plan to load it up and still wheel though.

I'm still doing my homework on all of this and searching though numberous pages on Yotatech and TTORA before I do this. I agree sliders and bumpers are a must and I'm currently looking at different sliders and comparing price/specs. I've found them as low as $135 to a high of $429. Is that just due to the material that they are built out of?
I was hoping to see if BruceTS would build me a new rear bumper but he seems to be gone (I really like those bumpers, heck I would be willing to travel up there to get it) and I haven't really found any on the internet that interest me.
The same goes for skid plates. I've seen a few 4runners with budbuilt skid plates but is that the only opinion and how compatiable are different skid plates with lets say an arb or tjm? Really, haven't found anything in regaurds to this.
Would I have to get different springs and shocks to deal with the add weight of a bumper (need to search some more)?

Ya, this is alot of questions but I want ot get things in order ($ and what I want)first before I do anything. I'm also open for your guys comments.
The search function has become my friend but its a lot of reading.

Thanks.

Last edited by wormhole; 06-08-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by SOAZtim
Mod it! You know you want to. Everybodies doing it!
Be sensible, by a trail rig and a civic

DO IT

Who knows
The mods will come but $$$$ comes first !

Well, when the time comes and if I still the have 4runner. I would like to get an old 90-91 corolla gt-s or all-trac celica or maybe a subaru legacy (sedan or wagon with a 5spd manual, I like those). Heck, maybe I'll go for broke an buy an older 300zx or supra or maybe late 90's version of a celica and do a 3sgte swap

Last edited by wormhole; 06-08-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Remember, If you DD starts being a modded car you will just want to get another car to be the DD.
I bought an old friends 96 accord for 2k bucks. It had limo tint and some gay rims with two blown twelves in the truck. I loved it. Reliable, cheap, and what feels like a million miles per gallon.
Good times!

(Oh and I agree. Get the money first and then mod the truck. I never got to enjoy my old taco as much as I WOULD have if I had not gotten myself in debt while building it. Its amazing what 3.0 triple bypass 16 inch foxes cost even at a 50% discount, YIKES!)
Old 06-08-2007, 03:38 PM

Go drive the mess out of it, and you'll figure out what's most important to you.

Lockers, sliders, bumpers, etc., all these are important, and helpful, but the order you put them on is up to you.

It does kinda depend on what area you're in. Here in AZ, sliders are almost a must, but in other areas I can see a locker coming in handy before sliders. It really just depends.

Your truck, your priorities. But, just remember, have fun!
Old 06-08-2007, 06:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I was making the same decisions just a few months ago, so maybe my experiences can help with your decisions.

First thing I did was a SS #1 lift. That (very) quickly escalated into new tires/wheels, as the 265's looked small (and were ready to be replaced anyway). I also flipped the factory hitch receiver over at this time... that gains about 1.5 inches of clearance at the bottom, and has saved my stock rear bumper from getting ripped off a few times.

Next were the Budbuilts. Everything I've read is true: they seem virtually indestructable. Good peace of mind knowing they're there. New CB and USB head unit found their way in around the same time.

Since then I've got a bunch of other goodies that are accumulating in the garage waiting for install time to become available: ARB compressor, Tundra brakes & braided brake lines, new rear brakes, SS shackle hangars, Warn shackles... and a few other things that have slipped my mind at the moment.

So after the lift/tires were installed my first time out I was amazed at the increased capability due to clearance, traction and articulation. Steve has a great package to offer in and of itself. A couple of the guys in locked cruisers on the trip were commenting on my 'runner... saying it looked great and they were surprised how well it was handling the trails (Sedona). One was asking why I didn't put a locker in before the lift/tires. In my case, I was ready to replace shocks/springs (140k) and new tires were in order anyway. Of course its all about traction and the increased articulation helps immensely.

The next time out (Charleau Gap) I had no issues even with open diffs. I would have attempted the step, but I was watching the 80's and 100's grind their sliders on it. I am for certain I would have mashed up my rocker panels whether I made it up or not.

Stubbs Sliders were on order prior to that trip, and they were recently installed. Again, virtually indestructable (i hope!). Haven't had a chance to scratch the paint on those yet.

So... the increased tire diameter definitely requires regearing. My next big purchase will be gears and ARB lockers. I'll install it all at the same time to minimize cost. I'm not 1000% that I need two lockers, but I do need gears. I'll spend the extra scratch and do it all at once.

Now, I just hope a semi doesn't slam into my truck next week.

Last edited by toy_tek; 06-09-2007 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:50 PM

Can't decide

I've been looking at slider and can't make up my mind. Here is what I'm thinking

1. Wabfab
2. Stubbs welding (standard)
3. 4crawler

They are in no particular order. What would you guys chose for your first choice? I'm a little torn between the first two.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been looking at slider and can't make up my mind. Here is what I'm thinking

1. Wabfab
2. Stubbs welding (standard)
3. 4crawler

They are in no particular order. What would you guys chose for your first choice? I'm a little torn between the first two.
They're each excellent products, all of the guys have been here on YT for a while, all of them are excellent people to talk to, you wouldn't go wrong with any of them.

So, given that was so much help!

Look at the styling to see what you like better; weigh in the shipping costs to get from them to you; look at if you want bolt-on or weld on...