Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mixing Long Life and Super Long Life coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mixing Long Life and Super Long Life coolant

I've done some searching but have yet to find a definitive answer as to weather Toyota Long Life coolant (Toyota Red) is compatible with Toyota Super Long Life coolant (Toyota Pink). After reading the many threads regarding the strawberry milkshake issues with the radiator/tranny cooler, I replaced my with a Koyo (which appeared to be of very good quality and fit perfectly). I refilled the system with Long Life (toyota red), and after a day topped the reservoir with a 1/4 gal of TOYOTA PINK just assuming they were compatible. I have heard the warnings against mixing Red with Green etc. etc., but now am wondering if i need to do a flush of the system as just refill with Toyota Red or if I am good to go until my next change interval (30K miles/2 years).

Thanks all.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't think it's a big deal, but I have heard they are not supposed to be mixed.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM

Thanks Brian.

I have done a little more searching and found:

TSB - PG010-02 in 2002 says "The new pink coolant is 100% compatible with the current red coolant and red coolant can be used to replace, top off, or mix in with the pink coolant with no adverse effects."

here is a copy of the link. http://www.toyotapart.com/ENGINE_COO...T-PG010-02.pdf

hopefully this helps someone in the future.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:35 PM

Good to know, thanks for the info. I personally use regular 'ol Prestone green because I refuse to pay $25-30/gallon for any antifreeze. It better be liquid gold for that freakin price! A lot of people have told me (more like warned me) to use only Toyota fluid, but seeing as though my truck came from the factory with green (they didn't offer the Toyota coolant until about '99) and since my manual says use "any ethylene-glycol based antifreeze", I'll stick with the green. 13 years so far with out any problems!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:50 PM

Just remember, Toyota red is not mixed, Toyota Pink is premixed.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
Good to know, thanks for the info. I personally use regular 'ol Prestone green because I refuse to pay $25-30/gallon for any antifreeze. It better be liquid gold for that freakin price! A lot of people have told me (more like warned me) to use only Toyota fluid, but seeing as though my truck came from the factory with green (they didn't offer the Toyota coolant until about '99) and since my manual says use "any ethylene-glycol based antifreeze", I'll stick with the green. 13 years so far with out any problems!
Amen to that. I use Peak Global because it's cheap and has the same additives as the Toyota junk.

Couldn't believe the parts guy when he said $34/gal for coolant!
Old 02-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Midget96
Couldn't believe the parts guy when he said $34/gal for coolant!
Holy $%#&! $34! I'm in the wrong damn business.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
In the end youll have semi long life coolant. haha
Old 02-08-2010, 04:20 PM

I'll take semi long life so long as i don't have to flush and fill. The stuff is expensive. Prior owner had toyota red so I decided to stick with it. In the '99 Runner I had before this one, I ran the green with no problem. It sounds like the key is not to mix the red and green. I just wanted to make sure that the no-mix rule didnt apply to the red and pink. Thanks again folks for your comments and input.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by TimZ
Thanks Brian.

I have done a little more searching and found:

TSB - PG010-02 in 2002 says "The new pink coolant is 100% compatible with the current red coolant and red coolant can be used to replace, top off, or mix in with the pink coolant with no adverse effects."

here is a copy of the link. http://www.toyotapart.com/ENGINE_COO...T-PG010-02.pdf

hopefully this helps someone in the future.
My dealer told me not to mix them and I talked to a mechanic privetly who told me that they had to replace the rad and flash whole system on guy's Tacoma after he added Super Long Life to his truck which had Long Life. This cost a guy $700. The parts guy showed me maintenance circular or whatever its called which Toyota uses for maintenance reference for mechanics and it was stated that if the vehicle had Long Life, replace it with Long Life, do not use Super Long Life.

Very interesting find on your side. I might show it to my dealer to see their reaction.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:23 AM

Thanks Alex. Let me know what you find out. I may be doing a flush after all.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 AM

The color change does not affect the maintenance procedures or
intervals established for the red coolant.
So what is 'super' about the Super Long Life? When I changed mine out in May 2009, my dealer parts guy swore 1) he had never heard of the 'pink' stuff, and 2) the red was the only replacement coolant they stocked.

This was the same dealer that replaced my factory red with green at 30K and then replaced the green with red at 60K. (I let the dealer do the majors while in warranty; it hasn't been back since 60K). They said the green was the 'recommended' coolant when they did the 30k. I didn't bother asking why red at 60k. I'm now at 125K and sticking to red. After all, it's all I can get.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 AM

Well, I'll let you in on a little secret... I was a service manager at a dealership for 4 years. Dealer parts guys are usually idiots (although there are exceptions). A lot of them are just punk ass, zit faced kids barely out of high school. There isn't any schooling necessary for most dealership parts dept. jobs so if it's a not-so-common question, you're usually just going to get a wild ass guess rather than an honest employee admitting they have no idea. Next time find a guy that has some certs and patches on his shirt, you'll have a lot better chance getting correct info out of a tech than a parts guy or a service writer. Just my thoughts.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 PM

I look at the Toyota red coolant as cheap insurance compared to cooling system problems down the road. I changed my original Toyota red coolant in my 01 runner at 120K miles which was 4 years ago and changed it again about 6 months ago at 220K miles.

I replaced it both times when I did the timing belt and water pump. I was amazed to see the inside of the radiator, engine block and water pump where perfectly shiny with no pitting, corrosion or "gunk".

So you guys can take your chances with the cheap green stuff, but I'm sold on the Toyota red.

FOG
Old 02-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
Well, I'll let you in on a little secret... I was a service manager at a dealership for 4 years. Dealer parts guys are usually idiots (although there are exceptions). A lot of them are just punk ass, zit faced kids barely out of high school. There isn't any schooling necessary for most dealership parts dept. jobs so if it's a not-so-common question, you're usually just going to get a wild ass guess rather than an honest employee admitting they have no idea. Next time find a guy that has some certs and patches on his shirt, you'll have a lot better chance getting correct info out of a tech than a parts guy or a service writer. Just my thoughts.
I agree--but the retail parts dept. is in a different building and my truck has not been serviced at the dealer for five years so I can't get near the techs. Dan, the guy I talked to, ain't too bright but has white hair and has been there going back to my 1980 Corolla that I bought the year the dealership opened and his hair was brown. They definitely only have red--I saw the coolant stock. As to why--that will remain a mystery.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:15 PM

I still have the old radiator that was leak free and always filled with Toyota Red. I replaced it only to avoid the milkshake. Unless anyone really needs it, I can cut it open and take a look-see if the red made any difference.