Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Misc. New 4runner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misc. New 4runner Questions

Hello In the middle of resurrecting a 97 4runner (check out my build thread for more info). Anywho, there are a couple lights illuminated on the dash. Obviously the brake light, I believe it has a brake line leak somewhere around the back axle, and the parking brake is seized up in the “off” position, I can’t budge the lever. The green little drivetrain is lit up. Is that to show you its in 4X4? I have the lever next to the gear selector in high, and I see the little 4X4 button, but when I click it nothing happens. The button physically is in the out position which I am guessing is 4WD off. I put in a spare battery but today I went to start it and all it did was click the starter. The battery is good. So I am guessing it has a parasitic drain somewhere. Is there a common place? When I got it started I also had the ABS light on, but after leaving it on the trickle and restarting that light has gone out. Also the radio doesn’t work, when I turn the headlights and dash lights on they all come on except for the radio lights too. The interior map and dome lights don’t work also. I am pretty sure I checked the fuses good but I will replace anyway. It also likes to idle high as in the one pic with the brake light. Please let me know on what you think. Thank you for your help!!
Attached Thumbnails Misc. New 4runner Questions-img_1083.jpg   Misc. New 4runner Questions-img_1082.jpg   Misc. New 4runner Questions-img_1081.jpg  

Last edited by UKMyers; 07-21-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The brake light is the e-brake light, it just means that either the e-bake is pulled or something is grounding the switch inside the console, the drivetrain light is the 4x4 light and it won't turn off until you drive the runner so that it cycle the hubs and disengage.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:19 AM

Ok, im going to try and get it to move tonight. Take it out of the garage and drive it around the yard a bit. When we towed it home it did not want to move easily, does feel like the brakes or e brake is engaged a little. So we had to push it with our tractor since it wouldnt roll freely by manpower. The brake resevoir says its at the add line. Also i have problems getting the key out of the ignition. Sometimes it will come right out other times it stays in there. Could a culprit be something in the gear selector lever? I can move the selector right through P/R/N/D/2/1 with the key off. Shouldnt there be a safety feature that doesnt allow me to shift it. When i first dragged it home i needed to jump it to get power to the battery so i could shift it out of park, but now it dosnt seem that it matters, i can do it now with the battery unhooked. Thats not right is it? Thanks!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:48 AM

I'm pretty sure you can shift with the car off and the key out b/c if i remember right I had to shift into 2nd to get the autoshifter out of the way when I installed my nav screen, I am certain that the tranny must be in P(ark) to remove the key so if it says its in park and the key won't come out I would think that something isn't engaging or disengaging properly.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 AM

It shouldnt shift tho without my foot on the brake correct? I thought that is a safety feature of newer cars. I guess i need to get it to move before i condemn anything more. Tonight i will try to take it for a roll around the yard and see what stays lit and what goes out. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 AM

It shouldn't shift without key in & turned and foot on the brake, and with no battery it won't work either. When I had my battery out a week ago I wanted to roll my rig into the shade but couldn't. It blew.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 AM

Thinking,…. wondering if I am just “tricking” the system? Since I have had the rig powered and un-powered, started and shut off but hasn’t moved in 6 years. So maybe it just needs to move a little? We will see tonight. I get out at 5pm here and will go home and get her to move.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:03 AM

You can shift with the power off if you remove the little plastic "button" next to the shifter with a flat head screwdriver. Then you push a button inside that is now exposed and the shifter will move. The brake light will come on if you are low on fluid and it is very sensative. The fluid needs to be at the full line. My 4runner had the parking brake seize from it sitting. It was a simple fix because my dad took it to a shop and they only charged 40 bucks according to the receipt.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:19 AM

Ok i will also top off the brake fluid before taking it out tonight. Brakes feel spongey so its either got air in it or leaks, there was some fluid dripping down by the gas tank when i dragged it into my garage, didnt smell like gas so i figured its brake fluid.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:50 AM

Ok, got a ton of things sorted out last night. First the dome light fuse was blown, so now interior lights and radio work however the power antenna doesn’t. Going to do whip mod eventually. The clock also doesn’t work. The green light came off and it does go into and out of 4wd with a little clunk. Has a brake line leak for sure in the rear. The key stuck in ignition had something to do with the shift lock solenoids by the shifter took all them out, cleaned terminals and reinstalled and now it locks the shifter correctly. So now the key come out of the ignition with ease! And since the key was stuck in the ignition the car was stuck in accsy. So that’s why the battery was being drained. So new question, I took a pic of these to nipple under the hood. On other 4runners I see they are attached to the hose that seems to be looped on mine. Why is this? Should I un loop them and reconnect to the nipples? They seem to circulate throught the heater hose? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Misc. New 4runner Questions-img_1088.jpg   Misc. New 4runner Questions-img_1089.jpg   Misc. New 4runner Questions-img_1090.jpg  
Old 07-22-2010, 04:13 AM

Those are for the rear heater, the heater core for the rear is located under the front passenger's seat.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 AM

So that means someone undid these.... Maybe because they were leaking? I really dont need the rear heat, how well will it heat without it? But if it works might as well hook it up.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:31 AM

I rarely use my rear heater...but i live in TX so i rarely use the front heater lol