Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

millionth tire question on this site

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
millionth tire question on this site

Hi everyone,

I'm sure all the regulars are sick of tire questions but here comes another one.

I need new tires. I currently have 225/75R15's on the truck. 95 3.0 2WD as stock as can be. I would like to upgrade to a larger tire but I am unsure of the advantages/disadvantages of doing so.

After utilizing the search feature here it looks like getting larger tires will throw off the speedometer readings and possibly affect mileage and performance.

The question is for a guy who does 98% of his driving on-road(2wd truck) is it worth it to change to a larger tire? If so what size do you suggest?

Is the only advantage for vanities sake? Don't get me wrong I may do it for that reason alone. Are there any other advantages?

If I get the larger tire I don't mind the speedometer being off. However I wouldn't be happy with a loss of power. I am planning on buying a small tent trailer to tow to the Sierras for camping and I need all the power I can get. Do you think tire size would affect this or am I over analyzing this.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No, for the following reasons:

- you have a 3.slOw

- i had to shift into THIRD gear going up a long, steep, incline coming back from our Pismo trip

- mileage loss. not huge but gas prices are not what they used to be

if you're towing something, you dont want anything to get in the way of keeipng the meager power that you have.

i will probably go to a "chunky" 31 once these 32 revos wear out. a chunky 31 = bfg a/ts or mtrs...for vanity's sake

bob
Old 08-28-2003, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: millionth tire question on this site

Originally posted by SoCal4runner
Hi everyone,

I'm sure all the regulars are sick of tire questions but here comes another one.

I need new tires. I currently have 225/75R15's on the truck. 95 3.0 2WD as stock as can be. I would like to upgrade to a larger tire but I am unsure of the advantages/disadvantages of doing so.

After utilizing the search feature here it looks like getting larger tires will throw off the speedometer readings and possibly affect mileage and performance.

The question is for a guy who does 98% of his driving on-road(2wd truck) is it worth it to change to a larger tire? If so what size do you suggest?

Is the only advantage for vanities sake? Don't get me wrong I may do it for that reason alone. Are there any other advantages?

If I get the larger tire I don't mind the speedometer being off. However I wouldn't be happy with a loss of power. I am planning on buying a small tent trailer to tow to the Sierras for camping and I need all the power I can get. Do you think tire size would affect this or am I over analyzing this.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I just went from 225/75/R15s to 285/75/R16s. Given, I am no speed demon, I drive for fun and enjoy riding around, but there is not really that much of a loss of power, just takes me a bit longer to get there. You won't be able to go this big because I lifted my rig and added the tires, but I would say that some 265s would look SMOKIN and you won't notice a thing except maybe a few mpg here or there.

Brian
Old 08-28-2003, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: millionth tire question on this site

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
I just went from 225/75/R15s to 285/75/R16s.
I didn't know you went from 225's. That's a big difference in tire size!! How much did your MPG drop?
Old 08-28-2003, 12:10 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Re: Re: millionth tire question on this site

Originally posted by SLC Punk
I didn't know you went from 225's. That's a big difference in tire size!! How much did your MPG drop?
The tires made a HUGE difference in the appearance of my rig. When even your secretary makes a comment about it you know you got some HUGE tires...

I'm scared to even calculate the difference in mpg... :cry:

But dang I look cool now, so who cares!

I don't drive but about 25 miles/day so really no big deal.

Brian