Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Met soembody today with the exact same car as me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Met soembody today with the exact same car as me.

I work in the parking lot at sams club, so i see virtually every car that comes in. Today i saw a 1995 4runner come in (i could tell the year by the pinstripe) and it didnt have a 4wd badge or mudflaps on it. sure enough i peaked in and it had a 2wd style auto tranny.

Finally the guy came out later with his wife and two kids. he bought a big trampolen set. i knew he was the owner so i said "this going in the 4runner?" he said how'd you know and i replied because i have the exact same car.

finally when we got to his car he handed me his keys and i rolled down the back window and opened the tail gate. a bunch of stuff fell out of his trunk (he has kids, go figure) and his jack and stuff were out for some reason. i went and put his jack away for him under the front seat and he shoved everything else to the side. finally put down the right rear seat and shoved the tramploeen in. we had to leave the tailgate down.

after that we got talking. he has 30x9.5R15 tires and he said he takes it offroading all the time and has never gotten stuck, even though it's only a 4x2. he obviously doesnt do any real offroading.

then i told him about how i had to spend $2600 on getting my head gasget fixed. he only has 75k miles on his, and i have 95k on mine. I told him about the head gasget recall and told him to go to or call a dealer and get taht checked on immediatly. i also warned him of the white smoke. if you see lots of white smoke, you're in big trouble.

he thanked me so much.

all in all, i enjoyed chatting with another 4runner lover.

the only differences in our cars are:

he has running boards, i dont
I have bigger tires (31x10.5R15)
i have more miles
i have a crazy stereo

other than that... it's pretty much the same. I'm sure they were exactly the same when they rolled off the assembly line. I should gotten his vin number. they coulda been made right after one another

feel free to share similar experiences
Old 03-22-2003, 10:42 PM

I work in the parking lot at sams club, so i see virtually every car that comes in.
Hi L33T35T 4Runner

I see you work at SAM'S CLUB. They sell this for ~$30.00. Would you be willing to get it with me since, I'm not a member and can't spend an extra $45.00 for a $30.00 item.

Thanks
Andy
Old 03-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ringo234
Hi L33T35T 4Runner

I see you work at SAM'S CLUB. They sell this for ~$30.00. Would you be willing to get it with me since, I'm not a member and can't spend an extra $45.00 for a $30.00 item.

Thanks
Andy
i would love to. it's $28 and some change. by the way, a membership is only 35

Name a day this week and I'm there, just not tomorrow (sunday). i work from 10:30 - 6:30. we close at 6 so i cant buy anything after work.

i'm off monday, i work 2 - 6 tuesday and wednesday, off thursday, and 5:30 - 9:30 (i think?) on friday

by teh way. i have one of those power inverters in my car. great unit i powered my comptuer off it

computer and inverter (not pugged in though)

comptuer powered off inverter

Last edited by L33T35T 4Runner; 03-22-2003 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:53 PM

I had a similar experience, more eerie though. I was flipping through a Truck Trader looking for somebody junking a toy, or selling off a bed. As I was flipping through the toyotas I came across an 87 22R Xtra cab, black with the same "check" design on the side with a 5 speed and manual. The difference was it had many more miles, no rust on the bed, and I have aftermarket wheels.

Speaking of 4runner/ P/u owners, I have yet to find a cool guy at a traffic light, most drivers I see have a stern look on their face even when I show that I like their truck. Maybe its that they don't appreciate them? The only acception was at my school parking lot, a 4runner owner complimented me on my truck and my odometer, which stood at 88k at the time.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

here in so cali all second gen owners are mexican and all third gen owners asian.

I tried to talk to some of the second gen owners but they dont speak a word of english

white people around here are definatly the minority

disclaimer: i intend no racism what so ever in this post
Old 03-24-2003, 07:28 PM

L33T35T 4Runner you are a wack job. WHat the hell are you doing with a full blown computer in you truck. Where do you put a passanger in the cargo area. LoL thats the first time ive ever seen that before. I see you have the sony xm radio in there to. cool. Why dont you just get a pm3 headunit save some space. Chris
Old 03-25-2003, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by impulsebrklyn
Why dont you just get a pm3 headunit save some space. Chris
I was looking into the idea of getting a new head unit that was XM radio ready, but you still got to buy the receiver for 100 bucks. The main factor of mine was cost and mobility.

The whole system cost me 175 after rebate, that includes the antenna!! also i can take the unit out of my car and hook it up to my stereo since i have a second antenna (long story why i have a second antenna). if i were to get the head unit, it would have had to stay there and i couldnt take it from car to car. when my car was in teh shop i took the XM radio in my dads car

Plus my head unit kicks ass. it has DFS alarm... meaning it has its own alarm. if you take of the face plate and close the doors, it arms itself. if you open the doors, you have 15 seconds to UNHOOK the stere or put the face plate on before the alarm goes off and it cranks the AMPs FULL with an alarm sound. it's somewhere around 90 decibles and you WILL go deaf after about a minute or two (if somebody were actually trying to steal my stereo). It's a pioneer DEH-P4000, it's about 2 or 3 years old, and i havent seen any other stereos with this. plus i didnt feel like rewiring a new head unit.