Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Maybe its time for pics of Duel-Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, 3 weeks ago I decided my 2000 4Runner was gonna be mine for years to come and I might as well enjoy it to the fullest. Having decided this, I overcame my fear of modifying the exhaust system (wasn't sure if I'd ever trade it for a different one or sell it.)
I went with the Borla Single entry, duel-exit muffler and stainless steel pipes all the way. The tips are polished chrome 12". Including labor, parts, shipping and everything, the total price came out to be $230. Does that sound about right to you guys? I'll try to take some pics from multiple angles to show you guys how we did it.
After 3 or so weeks of driving I've had numerous people mention it to me. Just today I had a lady (obviously a redneck) ask me "what type of pipe" I got because her husband wants to modify his exhaust. A classmate of mine asked me today where I got it from because he's looking to do the same thing with his Rodeo. The exhaust sounds great both inside and outside of the car. I have experienced no problems thusfar and soon I'll try to put up a sound file.

Dave
Old 05-06-2003, 05:57 PM

Sounds like a good set-up you went with. We need pics pics pics!
Old 05-06-2003, 05:58 PM

Post Yes yes! Pics!

Pics are good! I want to see how you worked it around the spare. Might have to do this one myself. Oh BTW, your spare hasn't melted has it?

Zach
Old 05-06-2003, 06:03 PM

Wow, I left that one out. I found few ways to work it around the spare, all of which would require wrapping the pipe around certain things. These extra twists and turns in the pipe would make exhaust harder to exit the vehicle (sacrificing HP) so I decided since I got a roofrack, might as well remove the spare and mount it ontop the truck.

David
Old 05-06-2003, 06:29 PM

Show us the pictures man!!! show us the picture of that roof rack with the spare tire. Pics man, pics.

Noel
Old 05-06-2003, 06:57 PM

Someone mentioned a while ago that if you have rear facing exhaust the fumes will come into the cabin if you have the window down...that kind of ruined any thought of dual rear exits for me Damn you, Zhivago! Damn youuuuuu!

Actually it may have been someone else that said this...but whatever ....
Old 05-06-2003, 08:43 PM

hey guys i have a single in dual out 50 series flowmaster. The guy al the shop ran the pipe about an inch to inch and a half away from the spare. No melting of the spare yet(knock on wood). I have pics but need to wait till fri for my bro to post it.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:35 AM
Away

Originally posted by Los Gatos?
Someone mentioned a while ago that if you have rear facing exhaust the fumes will come into the cabin if you have the window down...that kind of ruined any thought of dual rear exits for me Damn you, Zhivago! Damn youuuuuu!

Actually it may have been someone else that said this...but whatever ....
Uh, it wasn't me who said that. So, you are damning me for no reason. If you're gonna damn me for something, damn me for something worthwhile, like extreme 4Runnerism, geeez.

To be honest, I may have mentioned that if you're going to tow things with a rear exit exhaust, the soot from the exhaust would probably collect on the item being towed, turning it a lovely shade of charcoal. My own exhaust system exits farther toward the rear than the stock system did, but it doesn't leave soot on anything when towing.

My .02
Dr. Z
Old 05-07-2003, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

My exhaust, which exits at the stock location, will fumagate the cabin under the following conditions:

Back window down, windows cracked (or down all the way).

This creates a weird pressure difference or something, which in turn creates a wind tunnel from the back window coming in. Then, when I get on it, I can smell exhaust, which stinks and is probably really good for me.

Oh, I also have the back window spoiler, that may be contributing too. I can only imagine how bad this might be with dual exits under the bumper.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

That's such a teaste prolax! You entice us with implied dual exhaust pics, and then we find none... shame on you
Old 05-08-2003, 11:17 AM

They'll be up soon, gimme a day or so. Ran out of film so I have to borrow sister's digital camera today.
As for the fume problem, whenever I lower only the tail-window I can smell the fumes. However, if I lower all the windows completely, which I always do, theres so much air coming in my front windows that I can't smell anything.
As for towing, the only thing I'll be towing is a trailor with some ATVs and thats only during the summer so I'm not to worried about that,
Old 05-08-2003, 01:24 PM

I get exhaust fumes in the rear window from my stock system when I'm sitting still so duels don't scare me a bit
Old 05-08-2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by prolax13
"Hey, that's like false advertising, man..."

BTW, I when I heard that the california emissions exhaust is a dual cat system, I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that there would be a cat attached to each header. I was thinking that it would be cool to not have to take the exhaust down to one pipe to go through the cat. However, from some pictures I've seen online, it looks like maybe the two cats are hooked up in series on the same pipe. Which is the case?

Last edited by Sucellus; 05-08-2003 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure that both cats are in-line. One after the other on the same pipe.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by tomus1000
I'm pretty sure that both cats are in-line. One after the other on the same pipe.
Thanks, Tomus. No wonder everyone was acting like I was nuts when I asked them about conversion.....
Old 05-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Prolax and RockfordRunner,
Where are the pics of these dual exhausts?

Matt