Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Max power out of a 3.4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max power out of a 3.4?

Hi alll,
I have a 2nd gen '94 4runner and am doing the 3.0 to 3.4 swap. Out of curiosity, what is the most hp that people have gotten out of this motor? Is 300+ too high of a number even with the TRD supercharger? BTW, the motor that I am using is a '98 3.4 out of a taco with a 5sp tranny.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Do you mean at the wheels or at the crank? I am only aware of one 3.4 owner who has exceeded 300hp at the rear wheels who can prove it with dyno slips. He's got thousands and thousands of dollars into his setup, but it's the highest power 3.4 I have seen. Do a search of the TTORA forum for some threads where he talks about his set-up.

Otherwise, 300hp has always been a sort of holy grail for 3.4 tuners...
Old 05-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WATRD
Do you mean at the wheels or at the crank? I am only aware of one 3.4 owner who has exceeded 300hp at the rear wheels who can prove it with dyno slips. He's got thousands and thousands of dollars into his setup, but it's the highest power 3.4 I have seen. Do a search of the TTORA forum for some threads where he talks about his set-up.

I know Dave (TRDOLMAN) broke that number on RWHP as well (you can definately do it but it's gonna be $$$$$$!).
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/300-rwhp-trd-s-c-barrier-broken-63604/

There are a few turbos that are being tuned now which might also make a good run at the barrier but none have been dynoed yet to my knowledge. Take into consideration you'll also have to modify the tranny to handle all that HP as well so that adds a fair amount to the final costs.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 05-03-2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I know Dave (TRDOLMAN) broke that number on RWHP as well (you can definately do it but it's gonna be $$$$$$!).
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63604
Psstttt... it's the same guy... I didn't know he was on here.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:53 PM

Here is a dyno sheet from a turbo'ed 3.4L from over on custom tacos. Pretty good numbers!!!
Attached Thumbnails Max power out of a 3.4?-9psi_vs_11psi.jpg  
Old 05-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Greedy
Here is a dyno sheet from a turbo'ed 3.4L from over on custom tacos. Pretty good numbers!!!
Who is that?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Greedy
WOW!!!!! I would hate to be going that fast in a truck.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:17 PM

Who is that?

His handle on CustomTacos is bputacoma (i think). It's a 2wd little sport truck yota.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:17 PM

Otherwise, 300RWhp has always been a sort of holy grail for 3.4 tuners...
{knock knock knocking on my door...}

Dave's hit it (as has been said)... I'm getting close.

But like Gregg showed, that line's been easily broken with a turbo setup. Boost is cool as long as you can keep things together.

Who is that?
817 is Fort Worth if that helps.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Dave's hit it (as has been said)... I'm getting close.
Really? The last dyno slip I saw from yours was disappointing. Let's see a more recent one

Last edited by WATRD; 05-03-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:39 PM

Really? The last dyno slip I saw from yours was disappointing. Let's see a more recent one
Dude... I was N/A!

I can be on the dyno very soon - I have one more thing to add first (it's purchased & in the garage... Just waiting for me to find room to install it).

Any street racing will have to wait until after the VB work. I have my old tranny ready to be torn down as a donor, and the cash is more-or-less available.

I can give you a preview on Sunday... I think you'll find that it's a different truck than even what you saw last July.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmmm...817...that is here in my neck of the woods. Like to find him and see his setup.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:44 PM

There is always the twin turbo that URD and F2uning built Here

Something like 800hp!! From what I understand this was done with a stock short block assembly too... Really though without some major drive train enhancement 300hp at the wheels is a good goal. That should be right around what that damn Dodge hemi puts out and in a 1,500lb lighter truck hauls ass.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by AK95Taco
There is always the twin turbo that URD and F2uning built Here

Something like 800hp!!
Yeah... Brian Trager (Gadget's west coast guy) is driving that, but that's a bit past the "over-the-counter" bolt-on stuff. Though the new turbo work that's happening here in Seattle is gonna be pushing 350hp at the wheels or more, and will be sold as a bolt on.

YT member Greedy (Gregg) is the donor truck. He's running and will be on a dyno next week if not yet this week. His thread's here.

This engine LOVES boost - it responds very well to big boost numbers as long as you can keep fuel in it. Gregg's engine is stock outside of the turbo (i.e., no camshaft, crank, piston or valve work). The mods are larger injectors, an FTC1E tuning module and the Walbro. I don't even think he's running headers.

From what I understand this was done with a stock short block assembly too...
Hmmm... the number I always hear being tossed around is that the stock block of a 5VZ is good past 500hp, some have said 600hp. I dunno if they're pushing Brian's past that without mods.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:38 PM

Thanks!

Hi all,
Thanks for all the great replies! I think I may just stick to the TRD supercharger and some simple mods. More power would be good, but not at the expense of dropping a down payment of a house on the truck and daily driving reliability!
Old 05-03-2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by halcyon0
Hi all,
Thanks for all the great replies! I think I may just stick to the TRD supercharger and some simple mods.
DO NOT DO IT WITHOUT THE FUEL MODS
exclamation point. exclamation point. exclamation point.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:32 PM

Fuel Mods

That seems to be the general concensus from everything that I have found online. Sigh...That just brings up the price...$2k for the SC and another $1k for the fuel mods plus another $1k for the water system (might as well right?) Gonna be lotsa months of eating top Ramen to save up that much cash for it!
Old 05-03-2006, 07:13 PM

Yeah... I've been one of the local soapboxers about it for the last couple of years. Searching will get you a lot of soapboxing.

As for the misting system (btw, it's methanol part that you care about, not the water).. it's a stretch to put it into the "might as well" category. Moving to a mister brings up other issues. Yes, it will get you more power, but it's $1k that you can spend down the road. Off the bat, that $1k is better spent on a good exhaust system and headers. That's the first "next step" with a S/C, not a mister.

If you figure $3k for the S/C and one of the fuel mod options, you'll be fine. Then drop $1k on headers, $60 on a free-flow cat, $60 on a free-flow muffler, $150 to move to 2.5" piping (up from the 2.25" stock), and you'll be pretty set.

Given that you're gonna be running a 5spd, then I'll save you soapbox about the tranny mods.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:42 PM

Tranny mods?

Well, I am going to install headers and an exhuast system when I swap out the 3.0 to the 3.4. Now you have me worried....What transmission mods/fixes do I need to make to the R150 tranny? Will it handle the power?
Old 05-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by halcyon0
Well, I am going to install headers and an exhuast system when I swap out the 3.0 to the 3.4.
Smart man!

Now you have me worried....What transmission mods/fixes do I need to make to the R150 tranny? Will it handle the power?
Mark was saying that he WONT get on his soapbox because you have a 5-speed. Otherwise he would preach about the VB upgrade, and possibly the TQ Conv upgrade that he has been raving about.

As for the 5-speed, well, you may need a clutch depending on how you launch. I try to launch by letting the (OEM) clutch engage first, then flooring it (see slight buck) - as opposed to the traditional clutch-burn-stay-in-the-powerband launch that will eat a disc for breakfast.

Quick Reply: Max power out of a 3.4?