Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Master key and my stolen Tacoma

Old 09-13-2003, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Master key and my stolen Tacoma

My 2003 Double Cab Prerunner Tacoma was stolen almost 8 weeks ago. It was recovered last week in excellent condition. I went to the auction lot to retrieve my personal posessions (a bungee cord and cell phone belt clip is all the thieves left in the truck, that and the owners manual) When i opened the door i heard the ignition chiming, i'm like wtf? I look at the key and it's an old beat up key, i pulled it out looked at it and put it back in. So this is Toyota's idea of security, anyone with this key can just run around and open your doors and drive off with your truck. This has been such a hassle all because someone took my truck for a 6 week joy ride, stole everything out of and off of it and left it in a parking lot abandoned, and yes the truck belongs to my insurance company now.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:08 PM

Icepick,
What part of S.Fla are you in?Maybe I should be a little more worried about my 03!!
Old 09-13-2003, 04:10 PM

Lauderdale, it was found in a parking lot in Homestead (of course).

Everything was taken, a cd in the stereo, bumper ball, gate key for apartment complex, sunpass, cell phone charger, palm pilot, sunglasses, change, super leatherman, mag lite, tools, tie downs, insurance card, vehicle registration, towel off the back seat that my kids sat on, over the seat snack $5 walmart snack trays, map, License plate, you name it they stole it.

Last edited by Icepick; 09-13-2003 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:17 PM

So it's either a master key or someone at the dealership made a copy of the key before i bought it, or when i brought it in a week or two later after buying it to have the steering wheel straightened out. At any rate the police don't care. There was no fingerprint dust on or in the truck so they obviously don't care to catch who did it. I think my complex also has a video system and they didnt bother looking at that either as far as i know.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:37 PM

Dam,I live in WPB.I guess it's time to get some kind of kill switch or something like that.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since it was a 03 was their a chip in the key
Old 09-13-2003, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

If the Tacoma is like the 4Runner, I thought you had to have one of the keys that came with the vehicle in order to make another that would start it. Maybe there is a way to defeat the entire system that the thieves know about. There must be a sensor that sends some sort of signal back to one of the on-board computers telling it a legitimate key has been inserted.

My old 89 Camry was stolen and I guess I was the only one who didn't know that when the locks wear, just about any old key will start them.

As far as the police looking for things like fingerprints - hate to say this, but you're dreaming! There are so many cars stolen anymore that as far as I can tell all the police do when you file a report is enter it into their computer system so when someone reports an abandoned car, or it is impounded, or they stop someone for other reasons, they can tell if it was stolen. If they kidnapped someone or if there was something like nuclear weapons in the car at the time or if they used a gun to force you out then they'd probably do more. They might as well have a do-it-yourself web page where you could enter the data yourself and save themselves the time filling out the forms. Pretty sad when there is so much crime that law enforcement mostly amounts to keeping statistics on how bad it is.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealers can make a new key for your truck just by having the VIN number. I had them make me one, just called them up, told them I was locked out of my truck, and they told me to just come in. I diddnt even show them my ID. They just handed me the key and I paid like $10.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by alanh
If the Tacoma is like the 4Runner, I thought you had to have one of the keys that came with the vehicle in order to make another that would start it. Maybe there is a way to defeat the entire system that the thieves know about. There must be a sensor that sends some sort of signal back to one of the on-board computers telling it a legitimate key has been inserted.

My old 89 Camry was stolen and I guess I was the only one who didn't know that when the locks wear, just about any old key will start them.

As far as the police looking for things like fingerprints - hate to say this, but you're dreaming! There are so many cars stolen anymore that as far as I can tell all the police do when you file a report is enter it into their computer system so when someone reports an abandoned car, or it is impounded, or they stop someone for other reasons, they can tell if it was stolen. If they kidnapped someone or if there was something like nuclear weapons in the car at the time or if they used a gun to force you out then they'd probably do more. They might as well have a do-it-yourself web page where you could enter the data yourself and save themselves the time filling out the forms. Pretty sad when there is so much crime that law enforcement mostly amounts to keeping statistics on how bad it is.
You are right, it is currently a sad state of affairs.

Too bad you remote video and biometrics (like fingerprint recognition) aren't more developed! That way not only would it be a serious pain in the A$$ to steal the car but you would have the crooks on camera too. Even cell phones are getting good at transmitting pictures so a well placed one of those could call you, send a pic of the thief AND give location all at the same time (triangulation between radio towers).
The thief's demise will soon be here!

We got em in the sights now!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-14-2003 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:57 AM

its benn posted before, people need to get Lo-Jack.......

it works, i've seen it in action.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The local mall here, Palisades Pyramid Plaza or just the Palisades Mall has 90 cars stolen out of it a month
Old 09-14-2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by EDGE
The local mall here, Palisades Pyramid Plaza or just the Palisades Mall has 90 cars stolen out of it a month
Is that the one just west of the Tappan Zee Bridge? I'm frequently on business in White Plains, and our new contract with Hertz makes a stolen vehicle my problem, not theirs, so maybe I need to stay away from there!!
Old 09-14-2003, 06:07 PM

For the 2003 4Runner and Land Cruiser, TSB SS003-02 says that to register a new key, one of the master keys must be used with some special computer to allow new keys to work.