Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Manual Hub dials/rings - Anyone ever powdercoat them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Manual Hub dials/rings - Anyone ever powdercoat them?

Just as the title suggests. Can these parts be powdercoated? I know there are some clearance dimensions that must be maintained, but this can be done through masking/or paint removal.

My paint job with automotive paint (Metallic Blue and Clear Duplicolor for dials, SEM for rings) lasted for two winters. The rings are beat up from the wheels being off and on alot, the dials - well, the paint just came off.

Before:

After:

Has anyone powdercoated any of the dial parts before? Will this even work?
Old 03-30-2004, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was wondering the same thing. i think i want to paint mine, but im not sure what color, and i dont know how long it will last. since we dont really have winter here in so.cal the paint might last longer for me than it did for you.
sorry i cant help you with the powder coating, but it sounds like a good idea...

-Casey
Old 03-30-2004, 07:49 AM
Banned

Exclamation

It is funny you guys bring this up... I just did mine. My dad has all the powder coating equipment and it was a breeze. I never liked having the hubs either black or red or some color that sticks out. So I left the hub it's stainless look as it cleans up well. Then the ring I coated an "aluminum" color which matches the stainless rather well. Then I did the dial a darker color that my dad thought was called stainless, but it is much darker. Needless to say, they don;t stick out like a sore thumb and look very clean. I was planning on getting the pictures up this week, so just bare with me. I'll go ahead and throw them in this thread tonight if I get a chance.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TRunner
It is funny you guys bring this up... I just did mine. My dad has all the powder coating equipment and it was a breeze. I never liked having the hubs either black or red or some color that sticks out. So I left the hub it's stainless look as it cleans up well. Then the ring I coated an "aluminum" color which matches the stainless rather well. Then I did the dial a darker color that my dad thought was called stainless, but it is much darker. Needless to say, they don;t stick out like a sore thumb and look very clean. I was planning on getting the pictures up this week, so just bare with me. I'll go ahead and throw them in this thread tonight if I get a chance.
Sweet! I'm looking forward to the pics now
Old 03-30-2004, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by casey
Sweet! I'm looking forward to the pics now
Yea, me too!! Any problems with clearances between the parts? Thanks a bunch!
Old 03-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cebby
Any problems with clearances between the parts?
Powder coating is actually very thin, but to minimalize the friction between parts I did try and mask off the areas that make moving contact with other parts. The only thing I should have done is a beadblast the parts for a real clean finish. It was also a bit tough getting the powder in the corners of the dials. I should have put on another coat, but this was my trial run with powder coating. I will probably hit them again when I have a few other things lined up to coat.