Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

making blinker lights into fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
making blinker lights into fog lights?

i have a 3rd gen sr5 4runner, 1999 model, the blinkers are underneath the chrome bumper, i know there is a mod to bring those blinkers to next to the headlights. if i do that mod, it will leave the lights under the bumper useless, i was wondering if i could turn those lights into fog lights of some sort? is that possible? and if possible, i wanted to knock off the caps on the fog lights and install actual fog lights in there as well , would taht be too much light?
Old 10-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

No reason why you could'nt turn them into fogs... I've no idea how efficient the spread pattern would be but it would work since the turn signals use a wide pattern.
Here's how I'd do it... first change the orange lenses to clear lenses.
You'll need to look around for some yellow lamps... you may be able to find some 55W lamps (1156) that drop right in to the stock socket but you'll probably have to convert to an H3 set up.
If you need to convert the socket to an H3 type (these seem to be the easiest to get 55W yellow bulbs in) you may have to do some epoxy work at the back to mount the socket. (You'll service the lamps when needed from the front by removing the lens in this case).
If you need to modify the back with a "washer" to mount the socket I'd consider using a larger metal one so act as a heat sink the H3 will get a lot hotter being on more of the time and being twice the wattage (55W vrs. 27W) then a flashing turn lamp will and might damage the housing.
As for wiring just use a switch/relay set up like you'd do in any other case.

As for fitting "normal" fog lights in there there are several options you can look at such as Hella FF series (or the "no-name" ebay copies of same). If you choose this option you will probably have to fab a mounting bracket for them... you could try bending the turn signal mounts back and using them as a place to attach a small metal shelf to mount the fog lights to.

Cudos to you for an interesting idea that I don't think anyone has thought of before. If you decide to go for it post a thread about it and let us no how it works... you can call it the "bak3 fog mod" you'll be famous.
Aviator

here's a link to an 1156 yellow bulb I found http://www.eautoworks.com/product-Progate-113532.htm
it's only 27W though... if you want the full 55W type it appears you'll have to go to an H3 type base.

Last edited by aviator; 10-17-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:16 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
check out the write up on 4crawlers site. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...rnSignal.shtml

Now I know this is for a 1st gen, but I doubt it would be much different to do it for your 3rd gen. once you combine the blinkers into the corner lights, you have all sorts of options for putting fogs into the stock blinker spot.

And the bak3 fog mod is off and running!!!
Old 10-17-2009, 10:23 AM

Interesting idea.. You're best bet is to just fit a aftertmarket fog light into the housing of the bumper lights. Whenever you find a fog light you like just drill out the back of the housing of the bumper light and custom fit your new fogs. You might or might not want to pop the front cover off cus that adds a little bit of ware protection but it might distort the beam pattern.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Well, this got me thinking enough to search around a little. Now I know these aren't the only ones that would fit the stock bumper opening on a 1st gen bumper (6.5x2)but you get the idea of whatyou could do to have integrated fogs.

http://www.pmlights.com/products.cfm...Id=13&pId=1549

just need some better looking fogs to go in there......
Old 10-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Good find Kiyo
they may not look pretty but how do they perform is the question.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:37 PM

i dunno about the sr5's but ltd's have a little slant on one side of each light (the insides i believe). This could get in the way of producing a flush fit b/c it's not completely rectangular. It might or might not be a problem, just throwing that out the for reference
Old 10-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
id wouldn't recommended it as it probably melt the housing dont you have the little fog lights or cut outs ?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:22 AM

I've exhausted a lot of options when it comes to fog lights. I got the OEM ones replaced once (to the tune of $400), those failed, so I purchased a set of Micro DE's. These failed twice, with aluminum oxide buildup occurring twice inside the assemblies. It didn't break them, but it got annoying having to clean them out and replace the bulbs constantly, so I decided to just ditch the fogs in the stock location for good, and ordered a set of amber Hella 500's that I'm going to put on top of the bumper in between the head lights. These will produce a hell of a lot more light (speaking from previous experience with Hella 500's on my old vehicles [first time using amber colored ones though]), and I picked them up for about $70 on Amazon.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
hmm the micro's must have problems with the rubber boot cover the ones i got have a hard plastic cover that locks into place and has a o ring these where oem off some sort of car i got for cheap
Old 10-18-2009, 09:51 AM

Yeah, they are notorious for having water problems, that's why someone spent enough time to actually design a metal shield to keep as much water out as possible. As much as I like the idea behind fog lights, I couldn't bring myself to investing anything more than money into getting functioning auxiliary (fog, etc) lights, so I just ditched 'em