Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

MacNeil rock/bug deflector on a sport hood?

Old 04-21-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MacNeil rock/bug deflector on a sport hood?

Sorry for the “post your pics of…” thread

Does anyone have pictures on the MacNeil rock/bug deflector installed on their 3G with a sport hood?

I couldn’t find any by searching. I’m trying to get an idea of what it will look like with the scoop.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I answered the PM that you sent me, but just for info here, there is a stock Toyota bug deflector that you can get for the 3rd gen 4Runners. Part number PT427-89010, available at TRDParts4U.com for $60. That's the one I have and I find it looks good with the scoop. I know this does not answer the question you asked, but it does show another option.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 04-22-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Funny timing, I just ordered the bug deflector and the side window vents for my truck yesterday. Obviously I don't have them in yet, but I'll post some pics once they arrive and I get them installed.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:57 PM

GS - I think you did a good job answering my question. The OE Toyota deflector looks similar to the Weathertech model and gives me an idea of what it looks like with the scoop.

Does the OE Toyota deflector install without drilling too? Weather tech uses holes on the bottom of the hood to attach theirs. Both are the same price.

The picture on Weathertech’s website is small and shows a black truck that is in the sun. It makes it difficult to see. I’m going to find out if they have a better picture of it.

Fireball - I have had the WT window deflectors for 1.5 years and have been pleased with them. That is what made me consider their hood deflector. After you get the window deflectors installed be prepared for them to bounce the windows back down if you use the “automatic roll up” feature on your window switches for the first day or two. Mine would send the windows back down at highway speeds for another few days after that. They haven’t done it since that first week.

I bought them during colder weather and they might have taken a little longer to seat. If we get a warm up in the weather soon, yours may seat more quickly.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am just curious how it deflects bugs. Serious question.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:26 PM

It creates a channel of fast moving wind that is supposed to blow the bugs over your windshield. Kind of like the blowers that turn on to keep bugs out when the doors open at some grocery stores.

In my case, I’m trying to stop rock chips on the front edge of the hood.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 PM

Element - did you compare the OEM version vs. the weathertech one? I didnt look into the OEM one, just ordered the WT. Wondering if you had an opinion on which one looked better. Sounds like they might look pretty similar though...
Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't do so great at deflecting bugs from the windshield, but it does a good job of keeping rock chips off the hood.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by element
GS - I think you did a good job answering my question. The OE Toyota deflector looks similar to the Weathertech model and gives me an idea of what it looks like with the scoop.

Does the OE Toyota deflector install without drilling too? Weather tech uses holes on the bottom of the hood to attach theirs. Both are the same price.
The OE Toyota deflector installs with small inserts and screws that go into existing holes in the hood. No drilling required. You also need to stick small clear bumper pads (4 of them, I think) onto the top side of the hood (between the deflector and the hood). These help keep the deflector from rubbing on the hood and wearing off the paint due to the wind at highway speeds.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the info. @ Fireball – I’m comparing the two now.

Based on what GSG said, it sounds like both deflectors install the exact same way. Price is about $60 for either. I sent an email to WeatherTech last night to see if they have any better pictures of their product, but from what I can tell, they look very similar. I’ll check my email when I get home.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:00 AM

I heard back from WeatherTech (MacNeil Automotive)

I asked the following to them:

Originally Posted by From my email to MacNeil
Message/Comment: I am interested in the Stone & Bug Deflector (#50006) for my 2002 Toyota 4Runner. I have three questions.

Does the color of the Stone & Bug Deflector match the color of the Side Window Deflectors (#82087)?

It is difficult for me to see detail picture on your web site. Do you have a higher resolution picture of the Stone & Bug Deflector installed?

Do you have a larger picture of the deflector uninstalled?
Their Reply:

Originally Posted by MacNeil Automotive's reply
The hood deflector is a dark smoke color that is very similar to the dark tinted side window deflectors. The main difference in the materials is that the side window deflector material is optically transparent so you can see through the part, while the hood deflector material is not transparent.

Unfortunately, we do not have any other images of the deflector other than the one posted online.

Please call us if you have further questions and we will be happy to assist you.
Is the OE Toyota deflector transparent?
Old 05-06-2009, 07:22 PM

Unfortunately my WT deflector arrived broken. A quick call to them and they sent out a replacement ASAP that should arrive tomorrow or Friday.

The WT one is a dark smoke color, matches their window deflectors almost perfectly. I think it'll look great. I got the front windshield and front windows tinted yesterday, and have the window deflectors in now and it looks real sharp!
Old 05-07-2009, 03:33 AM

You got the front windshield tinted? Wow. They don't allow that here. With good reason. How do you see clearly at night? I guess it's not too dark. I got the front 2 tinted to match the back @ 20% and once in a while, on dark roads, I end up lowering the window at night when I make turns.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by element
Is the OE Toyota deflector transparent?
Yes it is transparent.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

I really like my AVS one and it's my 2nd since the first one did it's job and deflected a big rock and broke.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by jimig
You got the front windshield tinted? Wow. They don't allow that here. With good reason. How do you see clearly at night? I guess it's not too dark. I got the front 2 tinted to match the back @ 20% and once in a while, on dark roads, I end up lowering the window at night when I make turns.

I got the front windows at 20% and the windshield at 35%. The front windshield is great. There's a pretty big difference b/w 35 and 20, so I haven't had any problems. Would not go any darker on the windshield.

You are correct - not legally allowed to tint the windshield at all, and the front windows are limited to 32% or something like that. When I had the front windows of my Tundra tinted, I went with 35% to stay legal, but I think it looks much better to have the front windows match the back ones.

Last edited by fireball; 05-07-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:44 AM

Thumbs up

Install was easy and straightforward - 4 clips that go into existing holes on the underside of the hood, screw the deflector into those 4 clips, then put 4 little rubber bumper pads on the top of the hood.

Not too familiar with posting pictures so I hope this works. Just took these last night, so the truck is dirty and the lighting wasn't that great, but you'll get the idea. I'm pretty happy with it and think it looks good.
Attached Thumbnails MacNeil rock/bug deflector on a sport hood?-img_1251.jpg   MacNeil rock/bug deflector on a sport hood?-img_1252.jpg   MacNeil rock/bug deflector on a sport hood?-img_1256.jpg  
Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i like my lund avenger series alot since its not giant but enough to make the front end look better