Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lug nuts

As far as lug nuts go; how tight is too tight and how loose is too loose.

I was taking the wheels off my truck tonight, and found out that Discount tires (who rotated my tires two weeks ago) had put the lug nuts on so tight that I had to use the handle off my high lift, for leverage, just to get them off.

I never put them on that tight myself. should I?

I don't have a torque wrench so I have to guess on how tight I actually tighten them.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:32 PM

81ft/lbs. of torque(3rd gen). It feels pretty tight when trying to remove them. You should find a torque wrench as it is possible to warp your rotors. try searching the Maint. forum for a post about a month ago.

-Stu.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:34 PM

no ... you shouldnt have them on there really really tight. you can warp your rotors faster that way. and when it comes to tightening them... just dont put the wrench on the lug nut and start jumping on it.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Banned

i used t owork at america'sdiscount tire and they were METICULOUS about using pretorque sticks and then using a torque wrench.... sometimes lugneuts seem to be tighter than they really are......

i currently work at wheel works and we use the same process.....

toyota trucks range from 76-101 foot pounds of torque depending on the year and model.....
Old 02-12-2004, 05:35 AM

thanks alot. I guess I'll have to try and hunt down a torque wrench.

ejr
Old 02-12-2004, 05:47 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Lug nuts

A while back I rotated my tires and then hand tightened the lug nuts with just a plain ole lug wrench and then used an impact wrench for that final "umph". Man what a difference! I had no more shimmy in my front end and the ride was now smooth as glass. Torqueing them on there with an impact gun one at the time all the way down (like the place that I had put the tires on the rims had done) is just stupid, lazy and a good way to ruin your smooth ride. Invest in a torque wrench and you won't be disappointed in the improvement of your ride, and your lug nuts will thank you!

Old 02-12-2004, 06:32 AM

Proper way is to hand tighten the lug nuts, then take a torque wrench.

Set the wrench to 1 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 2 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 3 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 4 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 5 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 6 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 7 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 8 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 9 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 10 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 11 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 12 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 13 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 14 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 15 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 16 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 17 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 18 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 19 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 20 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 21 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 22 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 23 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 24 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 25 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 26 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 27 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 28 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 29 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 30 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 31 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 32 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 33 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 34 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 35 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 36 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 37 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 38 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 39 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 40 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 41 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 42 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 43 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 44 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 45 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 46 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 47 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 48 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 49 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 50 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 51 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 52 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 53 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 54 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 55 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 56 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 57 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 58 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 59 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 60 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 61 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 62 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 63 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 64 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 65 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 66 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 67 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 68 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 69 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 70 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 71 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 72 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 73 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 74 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 75 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 76 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 77 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 78 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 79 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 80 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 81 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.

And if you don't do that your wheels will fall off!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:10 AM

FALL OFF!!! I don't want my wheels to fall off.

Sence I weigh almost 200 lbs, I have HUGE 31x10.5 tires and have been known to drive drive around town at almost 5 mph above the speed limit, I should torque them down at every half pound just to be safe side. I sure wouldn't want to lose more than one tire.

ejr
Old 07-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hungryStu
81ft/lbs. of torque(3rd gen). It feels pretty tight when trying to remove them. You should find a torque wrench as it is possible to warp your rotors. try searching the Maint. forum for a post about a month ago.

-Stu.
My 3rd gen book says 83
Old 07-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4RUNR
Proper way is to hand tighten the lug nuts, then take a torque wrench.

Set the wrench to 1 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 2 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 3 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 4 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 5 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 6 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 7 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 8 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 9 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 10 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 11 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 12 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 13 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 14 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 15 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 16 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 17 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 18 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 19 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 20 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 21 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 22 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 23 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 24 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 25 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 26 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 27 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 28 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 29 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 30 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 31 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 32 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 33 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 34 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 35 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 36 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 37 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 38 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 39 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 40 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 41 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 42 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 43 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 44 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 45 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 46 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 47 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 48 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 49 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 50 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 51 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 52 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 53 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 54 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 55 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 56 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 57 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 58 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 59 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 60 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 61 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 62 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 63 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 64 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 65 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 66 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 67 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 68 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 69 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 70 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 71 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 72 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 73 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 74 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 75 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 76 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 77 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 78 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 79 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 80 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.
Set the wrench to 81 ft/lb then tighten one nut, then the opposing of that one,... go all the way around.

And if you don't do that your wheels will fall off!
:pat:
Old 07-25-2004, 03:15 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
As you've no doubt gotten the message from the above posts, tight but not overdone is good. Properly torqued is of course best. But in the meanwhile - for years I've carried a 12" piece of 2" pipe with me, it slips over a 14mm box wrench if I need to break driveshaft flange bolts loose for instance, and it slips over the ratchet I use with with a 3/4" deep socket for my wheels. (No lug wrench fits it those recesses.) I've found that if I run the lugs down by hand with the ratchet, then slip the 12" over the handle and give them one decent pull (I'm of average size and strength,) not as hard as I can but just a good firm pull, it comes very close to proper torque. I have a torque wrench and have double-checked a few times - it comes close enough very reliably that I don't bother to go find the torque wrench anymore. If you use a 4 way lug wrench, as tight as you can get them with your hands (not Standing on the thing) will do fine. That should give you some peace of mind between now and whenever you end up with a torque wrench. Cheers!
Old 07-25-2004, 03:43 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
My 3rd Gen says 83 ft-lbs. If you want to be anal, tighten them to 42 ft-lbs, then go around again at 83 ft-lbs.

I'd be concerned about my lug studs if they had been tightened the way you described.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

All I do is use the stock lug nut wrench that is supplied with the 4Runner and just tighten them down firm to the point where I can't turn it I've never had one come loose and it makes it easier to remove later.

The reason I use the stock wrench, is simply because that's all I carry on the road and if I get a flat, I know I'll be able to remove them with it. Each time a shop has done it, the lug nuts got distorted and I even snapped off a stud trying to take one off. I probably get them torqued down to about 60 ft lb. You just need them tight enough that they don't come off....