Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lowering the Center of Gravity

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering the Center of Gravity

Is it possible to just lower the stock springs in order to achieve this?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Lower" the stock springs? As in CUTTING them? Don't EVER cut a set of springs.

If you want to lower your truck, thus lowering the center of gravity, then move to a shorter set of springs. The ride will stiffen up, you'll reduce your ground clearance, and the whole "off road" concept will become more of a pipedream - if that was a concern to begin with.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andrewmitch
I know that keeping the center of gravity down is good as far as crawling goes but there is no reason to lower it below stock that I can see...at least as far as off road use goes. Why do you want to lower it?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

intial response:
wrong forum.

clever reponse:
it's not possible. stop trying.

newbie bashing reponse:
search you damn newbie, this has been covered, even on this board.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:01 AM

So I do require actually switching the springs. I thought maybe they could be moved.

I never do the type of off-roading like most folks here do (just use it down dirt roads with some small rocks). It is really an on road vehicle and for winter driving.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never do the type of off-roading like most folks here do (just use it down dirt roads with some small rocks). It is really an on road vehicle and for winter driving.
Okay, so are you looking to lower it in order to make it more stable?

Your vehicle is pretty stable to begin with... When you start lowering it, you're gonna trash it's performance in the snow. (I assume that your reference to "winter driving" is in the scope of being in Connecticut).

In fact, I would look into lifting it in order to fit larger tires (better bite in the snow) and better ground clearance (to deal with the ruts).
Old 11-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

So I do require actually switching the springs. I thought maybe they could be moved.

They do make lowering springs (I think they're one inch lower). Performance Products sells them. You can look them up in google. You would get a better handling truck, just not have the off-roading capabilities that clearance requires.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:14 AM

I don't think lowering it one inch would run its winter weather capabilities but I will certainly take that into account before doing anything. Maybe Bilsteins and Addco's is all I need for better on road cornering????
Old 11-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you don't have sway bars on both front and rear, having both will increase you're cornering abilities more than shocks per se.....A stiffer shock will make the ride rougher, but I suppose it would help cornering a little. I question the importance of cornering in a truck or SUV tho....sounds like an oxymoron.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:26 AM

if you want an SUV with cornering ability, go with a Cayenne. I about passed out when I went out to Barber Motorsports Park and the local instructors were drifting them around corners, burning off rubber the whole way. Really was amazing. Due to the construction of an SUV, they will (as built by toyota and most manufacturers) NOT handle as well as a car or even a station wagon. A Volvo with awd might suit your needs better, if you want performance, a small ammount of offroad capability, and cargo area.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think lowering it one inch would run its winter weather capabilities but I will certainly take that into account before doing anything. Maybe Bilsteins and Addco's is all I need for better on road cornering????
I can help on this one. I have Bilsteins and Addco's. The truck handles very well for one that is lifted 3" via spacer lift and an additional inch based on tire size. With just Bilsteins and the spacers (stock springs), there was too much float and instability in windy-road type of streets. With the Addco's, man, the truck is fun to drive again. It also adds a ton more stability at freeway speeds over 70 mph. It was just scary driving this fast with the stock bars. Now, I don't have any issues.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:58 AM

Addco's and Bilsteins should do exactly what you're looking for. Forget lowering it, Addco's alone with have more of an impact on your handling.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:17 AM

Want a lower CG?

What is wrong with cutting springs? Zeech. big deal. Don't use a torch, keep things cool while you cut 'em and there ya go. What you need to know that as you cut off a coil spring the spring rate goes UP because the spring is shorter. Nothing fancier than that. The next big problem is that you won't have that nice flat bottom on the spring anymore so it tends to fall off or not seat right on an upper mount.

get a set of extra springs and chop a loop off those so you can later go back an put the factory coild back on because the shorties ride too hard, bottom out too often and the rocks keep stopping you on the trail.

I'm not sure why you would want your truck lower, but hey it is your truck I say go for it.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calrockx
intial response:
wrong forum.

clever reponse:
it's not possible. stop trying.

newbie bashing reponse:
search you damn newbie, this has been covered, even on this board.
andrew,

you'll have to 'cuse chuck. he didn't have his ritalin and wheaties this morning no harm intended

anyways, yeah, as i'm sure you've read by now, this forum is geared towards off-roading mods. however, if you do want to lower your 4runner and you have a 3rd gen, performanceproducts.com sells 1" lowering springs.

but given that you said you'd want to take it on dirt roads, don't lower it. a good set of shocks and new springs will do you a lot better than lowering it. go into our 'off road tech' section and read the "Lift FAQ' to get some ideas and come back with your questions and we'll help you out. but definitely read up b/c there is a ton of info out on lifts.

if you want better cornering, addco anti-sway bars are the ticket. but if you replace your shocks and springs, most if not all of them, will give a much better and slightly firmer ride than stock, thereby negating any need for the addcos...that is, unless you are some crazy guy that likes to take freeway offramps at 80mph. and in that case, sell the 4runner and buy a STi!

bob
Old 11-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, i was just being a little stinker.
bob wrote the elegent response that i neglected from my first post.
only thing i can think of is that if you have a, say, 99,00 3rd gen, get the springs from an 01 or 02 4runner, cause they give a lower stance.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

A heavy duty pair of rock sliders will help lower your center of gravity.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:25 PM

You could also just get lower profile higher performance (traction) street tires on larger diameter wheels, maybe at a resulting -1 sizing, to lower the 4R during the summer, and keep your stock tires for driving in the winter.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by leiniesred
What is wrong with cutting springs? Zeech. big deal. Don't use a torch, keep things cool while you cut 'em and there ya go. What you need to know that as you cut off a coil spring the spring rate goes UP because the spring is shorter. Nothing fancier than that. The next big problem is that you won't have that nice flat bottom on the spring anymore so it tends to fall off or not seat right on an upper mount.

get a set of extra springs and chop a loop off those so you can later go back an put the factory coild back on because the shorties ride too hard, bottom out too often and the rocks keep stopping you on the trail.

I'm not sure why you would want your truck lower, but hey it is your truck I say go for it.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:09 PM

So it sounds like if I take your recommendations I won't have to trade in my SR5 for a Sport w/ X-Reas, right??!!
Old 11-12-2005, 04:39 PM

Putting Addco's on couldn't hurt, and it'd be cheaper than switching cars. You won't regret putting them on.

Quick Reply: Lowering the Center of Gravity