Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lowering the 3rd Gen...???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering the 3rd Gen...???

I searched the forums and have figured out that I can get 3 inch drop with either the Shuei springs or Elford springs. Or 1 inch from PP springs but it won't work for me since I already have a 2WD runner. I also saw that someone mentioned that Eibach makes custom springs but I haven't a clue to how to get that to work. My question is that I know on other cars, when lowered, you have to worry about camber and the shocks / struts. I was wondering how you would go about solving that problem on the runner. I know that there are solutions for lifting but what would someone do for lowering???
Old 11-03-2003, 04:42 PM

they wouldnt
Old 11-03-2003, 04:57 PM

I have PP lowering springs on my 2WD. I cut one coil off the front springs to take it down alittle more. You can't cut the rear springs because of there shape. I would like it to be lower to fill in the gaps but, who knows I might be going back up if I can't find a solution for the rear.

Here's how it looks.
http://highboost.com/johncivic/4runner/DSC01999.JPG

The 350Z has the same shock-coil set up as the 4Runner. I've installed a Tein coil over kit on one and it made me start thinking. I'm sure it would be way to much $$$ to get made.

John
Old 11-03-2003, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Zubaltec

The 350Z has the same shock-coil set up as the 4Runner. I've installed a Tein coil over kit on one and it made me start thinking. I'm sure it would be way to much $$$ to get made.

John
Are you talking about the front or rear?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by statelax3
they wouldnt
Old 11-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

The downey adjustable coilovers allow you to lower or lift. I don't know how much down, but 3.5 up. Maybe you could give them a call? Don't know how to solve your rear problem though.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

you can use a come-along and stretch the springs out, using a blow torch heat them up and then let them cool and let the tension off. that will make them weaker and shrink them up a bit. don't really do that though, it's the wrong way to do it.
The car parts stores sell these clamp things that install on the spring and you tighten them and they compress the spring on the two turns you install them on. I had a mazda GLC sport in high school that had some of these on the rear, I removed them and it looked like an old muscle car since the butt was up in the air, hehe. I think the squeazy things I'm talking about are pretty cheap like under $10 for the set. but if you install them and you happen to flex the rear end you risk the spring dropping out.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Lowering the 3rd Gen...???

Originally posted by tv4184
My question is that I know on other cars, when lowered, you have to worry about camber and the shocks / struts. I was wondering how you would go about solving that problem on the runner.
you would get an alignment.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:00 PM

I am still wondering about the shocks or struts because the shorter springs would make the stock ones travel less resulting in a harsher ride. Any ideas...??
Old 11-03-2003, 11:00 PM

Hey Zub. Nice Runner...kool rims, what kind are they and what size? I was looking for some low springs but kinda gave up a while back. I did recall seeing shortened struts and shocks for the 'low down' Japan springs...they were real expensive. Someone else here tried all kinds of setups (Brian?) and was working on a real nice coil-over. I never followed up if he finished it...it too would be pricey but was supposed to improve ride and handleing.
I stuffed 31's on my 2WD, it fills the wells, people keep asking me if I dropped it...
Old 11-04-2003, 12:22 AM
Contributing Member

Glad to see your back brian, hadn't seen you in a while.
Anyway... Those rims are Volk Racing wheels and I believe are 18s. They too are pretty expensive, but are also one of the lightest wheels on the market. They are huge in the high end asian car world. IE supras, RX7s, 350Zs etc. I believe jon was thinking of selling his though. I'm sure he will chime in. I was trying to remember, did you ever do a writeup for your city light mod? Where when you put your parking lights on the bumper lights came on dimly? For some reason I could swear you did that mod, but its been almost a year now, so I don't really remember. I was just considering the mod and wanting to see how you did it and if you had any tips.
Thanks,
Old 11-04-2003, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

I am still wondering about the shocks or struts because the shorter springs would make the stock ones travel less resulting in a harsher ride. Any ideas...??
Length of spring doesn't determine ride comfort, spring rate (stiffness) does. so if they are stiffer than the ride will be stiffer on bumps. if you are lowering it than obviously you won't be wheeling in it so travel shouldn't be a concern.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:50 AM

The 350Z set up is in the rear.

The Volk's are sold and the new wheels are on the way.
Will have pics soon.

I had bigger tires but, the front tires were hitting the lower valance. In order to get the right look I would have to have different tire sizes front and rear.

John
Old 11-04-2003, 10:27 AM
A+

Energy suspension bumpstops would increase travel. Jaos lateral rod would help alignment.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by A+
Energy suspension bumpstops would increase travel. Jaos lateral rod would help alignment.
Alignment wise I think he was talking about the camber in front, panhard bar wouldn't do anything for that.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:07 AM

I've had no alignment issues or uneven tire wear.

John
Old 11-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

I've had no alignment issues or uneven tire wear.

John
you got an alignment after you pimped, oops I mean lowered, it right? that's why you don't, because it is properly aligned.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:24 PM

No mang. Thats why I made the post. Guess I'm just lucky.

John
Old 11-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

No mang. Thats why I made the post. Guess I'm just lucky.

John
you lowered and didn't adjust your camber at all and you have no negative camber? that is amazing. I had some pretty major positive camber after I lifted. Maybe as one stuffs a tire the a-arms stay more neutral cambered but as they droop they get away from the neutral and become more positive.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Zub. Nice Runner
no post robbing meant, but it does look good, and if i'm not mistaken that is a recked supra in the back ground

Quick Reply: Lowering the 3rd Gen...???