Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Low Profile Roof rack mounts

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Profile Roof rack mounts

I just picked up a Surco rack from Demello, (Thanks Jason) and i am thinking about how to mount it. It came with the ends of some aftermarket rails U bolted to it, but i am thinking of some way to mount it to the stock roof rails. I am also planning on mounting 4 hella 500's to the front and 2 tractor lights to the back (aux reverse lights). With just setting the rack on the stock rails, it sits up pretty high, and i don't think i want it that high. I was thinking of removing the two tall rails on the stock rack, and welding some angle iron to the Surco rack. Then just bolt the rack to the spot where the two tall rails bolt to the roof.

Has anyone done anything like that before? I am going to try to make this as lo-profile as possible, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if possible.

Also How are you guys running the power to the lights? where do you route the wires?

Steve
Old 11-06-2004, 07:54 AM

just an idea

I have a surco rack on my 4runner along with 4 hella's, and mine is probably as low profile as i can get it. what i did was measured out the distance from my stock roof rails, drilled holes into the two cross rails of the rack and screwed it into the existing roof rail mounts. The end result came out so that the rack is practically laying on my roof. thought maby this would help. i might be able to get pictures if you would want them.

roach
Originally Posted by NorCalVP
I just picked up a Surco rack from Demello, (Thanks Jason) and i am thinking about how to mount it. It came with the ends of some aftermarket rails U bolted to it, but i am thinking of some way to mount it to the stock roof rails. I am also planning on mounting 4 hella 500's to the front and 2 tractor lights to the back (aux reverse lights). With just setting the rack on the stock rails, it sits up pretty high, and i don't think i want it that high. I was thinking of removing the two tall rails on the stock rack, and welding some angle iron to the Surco rack. Then just bolt the rack to the spot where the two tall rails bolt to the roof.

Has anyone done anything like that before? I am going to try to make this as lo-profile as possible, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if possible.

Also How are you guys running the power to the lights? where do you route the wires?

Steve
Old 11-06-2004, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by roach
I have a surco rack on my 4runner along with 4 hella's, and mine is probably as low profile as i can get it. what i did was measured out the distance from my stock roof rails, drilled holes into the two cross rails of the rack and screwed it into the existing roof rail mounts. The end result came out so that the rack is practically laying on my roof. thought maby this would help. i might be able to get pictures if you would want them.

roach

Pics would be great, it sounds like you have done just what i'm planning on doing. BTW how did you run the electric for the lights?

Steve
Old 11-06-2004, 08:25 AM

i will try to get as soon as possible, the camera has been acting up a little lately. I haven't wired the lights up yet, b/c i just recently bought them and only have them mounted so i could get a feel for what they would look like. try a search for the wiring and im sure you will come up with something.

roach
Originally Posted by NorCalVP
Pics would be great, it sounds like you have done just what i'm planning on doing. BTW how did you run the electric for the lights?

Steve
Old 11-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/rack_mounts/