Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Low Profile Bump Stops - Toyota IFS - Disadvantages?

Old 06-09-2005, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Low Profile Bump Stops - Toyota IFS - Disadvantages?

I was thinking of looking into some low profile bump stops for the IFS on my 93 pickup. The advantages of these are the obvious a very mild increase in travel (Maybe like an 1" overall?). Yeah, again, very mild in the grand scheme of things, but that's still something.

My main question is, are they any disadvantages to low profile bump stops? For instance why didn't Toyota install them stock? Is there a reason for the longer, or maybe more correctly thicker, stock bump stop?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:36 PM

YES!!!

the stock bumpstops are much softer and have more room to "Catch" the arms. the low pros are much harder and don't absorb impact. This doesn't really matter if you are doing slow stuff, but I had lo pros on my bracket kit and when I went long travel I got the stock stops. Yes the ride is softer from the LT arms, but I can tell when bottoming out it is softer from the bumps...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you plan on hitting the bumpstops at fast speeds or slow speeds?

Slow wont matter as much as the faster speeds do
Old 06-09-2005, 11:25 PM

My truck is mostly on gravel roads on the way to the fishing spot (i.e. lake, river,). The odd harder spot where 4wd might come in, but I'm overall just looking for something a little more hospitable on the ungraded pothole filled gravel or dirt road, especially the one with larger dips, etc. I wouldn't say "fast," but in the grand scheme of off pavement driving it'd probably be considered on the fast side (e.g. say 25 MPH-40 km/h - ish give or take). I will have Bilstein HD shocks on my truck in a few weeks and I'm looking for more control overall, on and off pavement. I figured that if I had something that took on those dips better (i.e. keeping the tire on the ground), especially on things like washboard type gravel roads, I'd have more control and that is what I am looking for. I figured (maybe I'm wrong?) a tiny bit more articulation might help that way combined with the Bilstein's? Perhaps I should stick with the stock stops then? I guess in this case it would end up being all about trade offs anyways.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't waste you money, sounds like the driving you do, you have never hit the bump stops. I you want a smoother ride look into shocks. More travel look into lift kit or SAS
Old 06-10-2005, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
My truck is mostly on gravel roads on the way to the fishing spot (i.e. lake, river,). The odd harder spot where 4wd might come in, but I'm overall just looking for something a little more hospitable on the ungraded pothole filled gravel or dirt road, especially the one with larger dips, etc. I wouldn't say "fast," but in the grand scheme of off pavement driving it'd probably be considered on the fast side (e.g. say 25 MPH-40 km/h - ish give or take). I will have Bilstein HD shocks on my truck in a few weeks and I'm looking for more control overall, on and off pavement. I figured that if I had something that took on those dips better (i.e. keeping the tire on the ground), especially on things like washboard type gravel roads, I'd have more control and that is what I am looking for. I figured (maybe I'm wrong?) a tiny bit more articulation might help that way combined with the Bilstein's? Perhaps I should stick with the stock stops then? I guess in this case it would end up being all about trade offs anyways.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that isn't the fast side of things by any means. I bomb washboard at 40-50 usually....and the prerunner guys are scorchin me at 65 or so...... If you are bottoming out every, I would use the stock bumps...they are softer for fast stuff. But if you don't bottom out, the lo pros will give you more flex.

To see fi you are bottoming out, see if you have a circular imprint on your lower arm under the bump. They tend to leave a mark after they have "kissed" the surface. if you don't see anything, try putting a dab of vasolined on each bump next time you go out, if you come back and no vasoline on the lower arm, then lo pros well be bplenty fine.

Lo pro's aren't that bad at higher speeds, I am just saying stockers are softer and absorb more.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:47 PM

All I can think of is you have a possibility to bottom out your shocks. Most shocks that fit our trucks/4runners are almost completely compressed when sitting normally, so you'll only have about 4" of travel before they are completely closed.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, don't take a sawzall to your stock bumpstops. You'll start blowing out shocks from too much compression, and then wish you had your stockers back. Ax me how I know
Old 05-05-2020, 05:09 AM

What shocks are you guys using with stock suspension on dirt/gravel roads? I have an 87 stock pickup with kyb shocks and it’s very harsh especially in the front end.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:16 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
try this section, this thread was started in 2005 regarding bump stops, . https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/
Old 05-05-2020, 05:30 AM

When I click that link it doesn’t bring up the link just a page with all the forums. What is the name of the thread and I can search it like that.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:42 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
It takes you to 86-95 Trucks and 4Runner section, search that section. This section is for Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 1995.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners, its written at the top of the page in bold.