Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Loved the LOCKRIGHT, but...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loved the LOCKRIGHT, but...

I used to have a LOCKRIGHT on my Hilux. By far the best off road upgrade one can get. But on the road, when turning slowly in parking lots, etc it felt like everything underneath the truck was loose, i could feel like as if everything was moving, from the axle to the transfer case and the typical "jumpy" feel of being locked that almost feels like the engine was failing if you dont press the clutch. My passengers used to think the truck was falling apart. I am sure you guys have experienced it. At first I thought it was only my truck, but drove a few other lockright equipped Toyotas and TJs and they all felt the same.

I want to lock the rear axle on my Prado, but with something that does not affect its soft, car like ride. ARB is out of the question for budget reasons, plus I like the simplicity of something that just gets installed into the 3rd member with no cabling, compressors, etc. Am I asking for too much?

What about the EZlocker or Detroit?

thanks in advance for your comments

Last edited by TEPUI; 02-02-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Sadly I think you will find most lockers share that same thing... Toyota E locker, ARB, are more expensive, but dont have this same charictoristic... you can also look into a limited slip... they also dont fit into a stock 3rd.

If thinking about a lunchbox style locker, hands down I would say Aussie locker is the only way to go!!!

Cheers
Bob
Old 02-02-2006, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

A lot of people here like the Truetrac for on-road mannerisms.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Bob
Sadly I think you will find most lockers share that same thing... Toyota E locker, ARB, are more expensive, but dont have this same charictoristic... you can also look into a limited slip... they also dont fit into a stock 3rd.

If thinking about a lunchbox style locker, hands down I would say Aussie locker is the only way to go!!!

Cheers
Bob
Is the Aussie almost the same as the Lockright when driven on road?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:14 AM

The aussie looks identical to the lockrite. I had the same issue in my ranger when I had the lockrite with the bed bouncing up and down in tight turns. Worst part was is that the ABS in my ranger would freak out if I was braking and turning tight (like into a parking space). But that is why they invented curbs I guess.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:20 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA

Cheers
Bob

Mr Bob is right - all lockers are like that - that's why they call them lockers.

But, Mr Bob is wrong - limited slips are available for Yotas, there are many to choose from, including Toyotas own TRD LSD (I've owned 2 of those.)

In my opinion, the best compromise unit is the Truetrac. It is utterly smooth, it works very well, and it doesn't wear out in 50k miles like clutch type posi's (LSDs) do.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Flamedx4... I worded my last post VERY poorly as I can tell now...

What I was trying to say was.... I dont think anybody makes a limited slip that would install into a stock toyota carrier like a lunchbox locker does...

I am running an Eaton posi in the rear of my bronco currently... It was highly recomended by the shop that did my gears. I had the HD steel clutches and all that good stuff installed to make it as strong as possible... and to be honest, if I had to do it all over again i would suck it up and run the locker... I find when you most need the traction the limited slip lets you down...

I have an aussie locker in the front, and the difference was amazing!!!! Aussie lockers look the same as lock rights, but I have heard from people running them in the rear that they are not as harsh as a lockright... mind you that is hear say, not personal experience!

At the same time I am also not at all familiar with the RZJ90s...
Old 02-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would also say go for a turetrac. But saving up for an E-locker or ARB would be even better.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:15 PM

Recently bought a lock-right, but I'm having second thoughts about installing it. Seems to be a hard installation, and my truvk is mostly a daily driver. From all the reviews I've heard, I would install an Aussie(iff they make one for your truck), or a True Trac.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:25 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
[QUOTE=Mr. Bob]Flamedx4... I worded my last post VERY poorly as I can tell now...

What I was trying to say was.... I dont think anybody makes a limited slip that would install into a stock toyota carrier like a lunchbox locker does...

I am running an Eaton posi in the rear of my bronco currently... It was highly recomended by the shop that did my gears. I had the HD steel clutches and all that good stuff installed to make it as strong as possible... and to be honest, if I had to do it all over again i would suck it up and run the locker... I find when you most need the traction the limited slip lets you down...

QUOTE]

No worries.
Do you use the left foot brake technique to get the posi to engage? Helps a lot.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Anybody here actually running a truetrac? I was looking into one for the front of my bronco, and when I phoned and asked the off road shop I purchased all my other stuff from in the past, they said there are many better options... they told me that detroit only rates if for " light to medium duty " and that if I was asking questions about requiring a traction aid to get my self further then " I probably have out grown a true trac "

I have a friend who is running 2 of them in his 84 toy PU on 35s... forsure the 35s are far too heavy duty for them... it takes a lot for all 4 tires to get traction....

I guess it really depends on why you are looking for the traction aid...

Also too... I have read that with a lunchbox locker you need to almost " give it more gas " when parking and stuff like that.... it makes it easier for it to unlock... if you try and coast it will stay locked and give experience TEPUI described above
Old 02-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

I am also running A LOT of HP out of my 351W I built... I have to watch how hard I tap the brakes, because Im also worries about what will give first... especially front axles with a front locker... I blow apart hubs often while rock crawling.... hubs are good fuses atleast... my crawl ratio is about 80-1, which never helps either
Old 02-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Anybody here actually running a truetrac?
I know there are a few such as Bryanr and Napolean047 as I've PM'd them about the truetrac. There have been a bunch of threads lately about this. Have you tried searching?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Edwin... I would really be interested in what they thought about them.... When you PM'd them both what kind of feedback did you get from them if you dont mind me asking???
Old 02-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

There is lots of good info here:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml
Old 02-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Edwin... I would really be interested in what they thought about them.... When you PM'd them both what kind of feedback did you get from them if you dont mind me asking???
No prob. They both really liked them. Napoleon actually has the LSD in the rear and a full-time locker up front. Bryanr has it only in the rear and it really helps out in the snow/rain where he lives.

As far as on-road mannerisms, they almost don't notice it and the truetrac will not eat up tires (what they said) compared to a full-time locker.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Nice to see that enough discussion was generated on a topic that I thought would bore the hell outta everyone.

I'll have to do some more research, but I am pretty convinced that I'll end up with an electric or ARB sooner or later. Definitely dont want an LSD. (although it 'd be better than nothing at all)

By the way Mr Bob, the Prado RZJ90 shares the same drivetrain as the 4runner, and is powered by a 3RZ-FE. What i am not sure about is the rear axle, it's definitely an 8 incher, but dunno if it's the same as on the Mini pickups or if it's like the 4runner's. Always thought they were identical but somebody told me that the pinion bearings are different. Any way to know w/o opening it?

Prados are also very rare here. Even harder to find sombedy that takes them outside the asphalt. Out of 2000+ users in our local off-road forum, there's only two or three, plus mine.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

It is forsure a neat looking vehicle!!! I can honestly say I have ever seen one here in Canada... where abouts are you located??

From what I have read the ARB is a great unit forsure, mind you I have never ran one either... I helped a friend put factory Elocker into a 1st gen 4Runner, and that turned out really well, and the price was right too... I think he got his for about $450.... I also saw there is now a cable upgrade to eliminate the shift motor... there was a good forum about it in the off road section...

It would be interesting to know what the rear diff is in there....

Cheers
Bob
Old 02-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

It is forsure a neat looking vehicle!!! I can honestly say I have ever seen one here in Canada... where abouts are you located??
I live in Santiago, Chile. Just got the Prado on Monday, I am very happy with it so far. Tested the winch today which had never been used, and it worked like a charm! As soon as i get my camera back I wil post some detailed pics.

This was my LockRight-equipped Hilux, at the Atacama Desert:
Attached Thumbnails Loved the LOCKRIGHT, but...-sta_0140b.jpg  
Old 02-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Cool!!! thats a nice looking truck!!! I would love to see pics of the Prado when you get them!!!

Quick Reply: Loved the LOCKRIGHT, but...