Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Loud exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Loud exhaust

WITHOUT HURTING MY MOTOR:

Could I remove my muffler and tailpipe for a much louder exhaust. I do still have my cat and plan to leave in on (for I like to breathe) if that makes any difference.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:01 AM

You cold but you would be breaking the law and breathing exaust. Yor truck would be very loud and sound like crap. You would be above the legal noise ordinance and your tailpipe must exit behind the cab to side to be legal. I would not want all that exaust under my truck while at a light. You would be breathing alot of it. But you could do it, but you would lose low end power=no torque=slow truck off the line.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by TACOMANATOR
You cold but you would be breaking the law and breathing exaust. Yor truck would be very loud and sound like crap. You would be above the legal noise ordinance and your tailpipe must exit behind the cab to side to be legal. I would not want all that exaust under my truck while at a light. You would be breathing alot of it. But you could do it, but you would lose low end power=no torque=slow truck off the line.
There is not a noise ordinance where I live, and the exhaust only needs to be past the passenger compartment to be legal.

How noticeable will the power loss be?
Old 06-24-2005, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TinyTruck
WITHOUT HURTING MY MOTOR:

Could I remove my muffler and tailpipe for a much louder exhaust. I do still have my cat and plan to leave in on (for I like to breathe) if that makes any difference.
yes. It will be louder and wont hurt your engine...You might not like the sound, but definately louder...

Last edited by CynicX; 06-24-2005 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:00 AM

You will kill the low end torque and the people who live near might kill you.It will be fun for about a week and you will want the exhaust system back.I wouldnt worry about the people that live near you.The exhaust fumes in the cab will take care of that.If you want it louder do it the right way not the redkneck way.Put a flowmaster or at the very least a glass pack on it.The engine was designed to have a certain amount of back pressure take it away and it will run like crap. Just trying to save you from making a mistake.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Just cut your exhaust off at the end of the muffler. I did it, and it got louder, now im annyoyed and want it back.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Just unbolt it and see what you think. It will not hurt your motor. Put it back if you don't like it.

We don't run a muffler on our Accord, and it actually sounds good. No rice. I am still trying to figure that one out.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:42 AM

Just went out and cut it off and I like the sound, afetwords I went out and did some dirt burnouts
Old 06-24-2005, 09:04 AM

Muffler

Yea, I was young and stupid once to.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by rugerm44
what do you mean
Old 06-24-2005, 10:36 AM

if it is just the sound your looking for you can just cut a whole between your cat and headers and that will make it very noisy and will deliver a little bit more horse power cause your helping your engine breathe more and you wont be breaking the law cause youll still have exhaust coming out the tail pipe. but personally i would just get a new muffler cause it wont get annoying and if you didnt like it you could always get a different one.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:12 PM

hahaha, yeah me too!

i think i lost a little of my hearing abilty back when I ran for a year in my 79 z28 with straight headers and a bad little smallblock for a daily driver. Good times but it gets annoying quick.
The worst sounding exhaust by far was my 88 zuki samauri w/ a 1.3 and straight exhaust.

There have been alot of tests lately in those sport compact magazines that disprove running a very low restriction exhaust on and motor is not going to kill a motors low end tourqe if it is tuned correctly. But cutting your muffler will not help the performance at all. Your trucks ECU is programmed to run a motor with back pressure and when you remove that the cars muffler the a/f mixture (or something) will not be correct there fore its not going to be run to its optimum performance without changing the fuel and timing curves.

Last edited by justanother4x4; 06-24-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:14 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Old 06-27-2005, 12:54 PM

There have been alot of tests lately in those sport compact magazines that disprove running a very low restriction exhaust on and motor is not going to kill a motors low end tourqe if it is tuned correctly. But cutting your muffler will not help the performance at all. Your trucks ECU is programmed to run a motor with back pressure and when you remove that the cars muffler the a/f mixture (or something) will not be correct there fore its not going to be run to its optimum performance without changing the fuel and timing curves.
The stock computer will detect changes and make changes to the short term and long term fuel trims.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:35 PM

So you just want to be loud? Why? No flaming, but why the hell would you want a loud ass truck that is slow as balls? My 422 FWHP DSM is nice and quiet with a 3" exhaust and 2 mufflers and a resonator . Loud isn't cool .
Old 06-27-2005, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by naksukow
The stock computer will detect changes and make changes to the short term and long term fuel trims.
Maybe. Only if the difference is within the programming tolerances.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Poopy
So you just want to be loud? Why? No flaming, but why the hell would you want a loud ass truck that is slow as balls? My 422 FWHP DSM is nice and quiet with a 3" exhaust and 2 mufflers and a resonator . Loud isn't cool .
he probably just has different taste then you....
Old 06-27-2005, 01:56 PM

I once had a Cougar convertible with a 351 Cleveland and dual exhausts with glass packs. It was the sweetest sounding ride - those of you who know understand the sound of a Ford dual exhaust with Purple Hornies.... But inside the car with the top up on long trips it drove me batty, I finally got some quieter turbo style mufflers - mellow at cruise but still throaty when on the gas. "Loud" is not in itself cool. The sound quality is more important than the volume.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont have a muffler, power loss was unnoticable, and i like the sound from a 22RE, granted its not wonderful, but i wouldnt waste the money on a muffler since i dont have it and its unneccessary. Not to mention that flowmasters i know have an annoying drone. without the muffler its only loud on acceleration, not much more noise at idle, coasting, or decel.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a flowmaster 50 series and I cut off the tail pipe right behind it. I liked the sound a lot because it was super deep and throaty.

Then I just put a 6" turn down pipe on it last week and now its pretty mellow sounding....

Quick Reply: Loud exhaust