Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lost keyless entry, how easy is it to reprogram a new remote?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost keyless entry, how easy is it to reprogram a new remote?

can I even reprogram a new remote bymyself? I called Toyota, and they wanted 38.25 just to program it. not even for the key fob thing.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:53 PM

Check ebay for the remote, make sure it has the back window button. If/when you get one, PM me I have the programming directions. Or do a search, it's on here somewhere.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
INsr5,

http://www.4runners.org/articles/rs3000

also in the Tech section.

dude, you've been here long enough to not to know how to search this one!

(if you're drinking beer and just got lazy, just forget that i said that---i understand)

bob
Old 10-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

INsr5,

I had a remote left over from a 2000 Avalon I had.

I got the instructions here on the forum and reprogramed it to work on a 1999 limited. On the Avalon remote the third button was for the trunk, but now it opens the rear window of the 4Runner.

Make sure you know which system you have RS3000 or RS3200.

It wasn't very difficult to do.

Ray
Old 10-10-2003, 03:09 PM

heh,heh,heh yeah I guess I did get lazy!
Old 05-30-2004, 08:07 AM

I also needed to program a key fob. But, I don't have an alarm. I don't get it. Without an alarm, I don't think that's what we need. All my searches keep leading to Bob's write up http://www.4runners.org/articles/rs3000
But, I actually needed this, which works (I dug this out of an old e-mail of mine, not sure where I got it, probably 4x4Wire):

1. Make sure the vehicle is in the following conditions--
_ a. The key is NOT inserted in the ignition switch.
_ b. Drivers door is open (all other doors are closed)
c. The Drivers door is UNLOCKED.

2. Insert the key into the ignition switch, then pull it out.

3. Press the Door lock switch on the Drivers door from Lock to Unlock 5
times.
Like this: Lock, Unlock = 1

4. Close the Drivers door and open it.

5. Repeat step 3

6. Insert the key into ignition switch and turn 2 times to the "run"
position and then back, repeat.

7. Pull the key out of the ignition switch, the ECU should verify the above
completed steps by locking and unlocking the door locks twice. (if not
repeat the above 1-6 sequence)

8. Press the "Lock" and "Unlock" buttons on the remote together for at least
1/2 second. Then press either button and hold for more than 1 second and
release.

9. If steps are done correctly the ECU will "Lock" and "Unlock" the doors
once to confirm. **NOTE**: If you want to program more than one remote you
must do it at this point by repeating step 8 with another remote. (if
nothing happens then repeat ALL 8 steps)

10. Close the Drivers door and test all remotes.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

If you have 2 remotes make sure you have both remotes ready.
open drivers side door
stick the key in the ignition then pull it out
lock and unlock the door 5 times (thats 10 times that you have to press the button) It should be completed with door unlocked.
shut and then open the door
lock and unlock the door 5 times(thats 10 times that you have to press the button) It should be completed with door unlocked.

stick the key in the ignition and turn to on then off then on then off
pull the key out of the ignition
you should hear the door locks go clunk clunk
press the two top buttons on the remote for 1 second
then press the unlock button by itself for 1 second. Now for the second remote,
press the two top buttons on the remote for 1 second,
then press the unlock button by itself for 1 second. After you have completed the program of both remotes, put the key in the ignition and pull it out. Your remotes are now programmed.

I was told that there was a limit to the amount of remotes that can be programmed to a single alarm system. I did a test with 5 and they all worked just fine. When you do the reprogramming, makes sure you do all of the remotes, I didn't and had to do it all over again, since my other remote wouldn't work afterwards.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Key fob

Originally Posted by INsr5runner
can I even reprogram a new remote bymyself? I called Toyota, and they wanted 38.25 just to program it. not even for the key fob thing.
Forget the dealership. Buy a key fob off Ebay for $10 or less. The important thing is to match up the FCC ID with the one that you had with the one that you need. HYQ1512Y is the FCC ID for mine and that is what I bought off Ebay.

As far as instructions for reprogramming, they vary a bit by year model, but mine were just like Bruce described with all the button flipping, door opening and putting the key in the ignition.

My advice would be to buy TWO and program both of them at the same time.

Why don't you have two already and just get your spare one and then buy another spare?

Old 05-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

When I got mine off eBay, I just placed the lowest bid possible, at the time there was a flood of them for sale and I ended up getting 8 of them for an average of $6.00 each. Still much cheaper than getting a single new one from the stealership.......
Old 06-01-2004, 10:50 AM

I see that in order to reprogram, you need a master key. I but my 4runner used and I don't think the key I am using is a master. It doesn't have the rubber covered grip. Am I screwed as far as reprogramming goes?
Old 06-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Banned

Talking Master Key

Got to get a master key at the dealership to reprogram remotes, I'm pretty sure but don't buy the keyless remote there. EBAY! and reprogram it yourself, buy (2) so you'll have a spare!

Old 06-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_M
I see that in order to reprogram, you need a master key. I but my 4runner used and I don't think the key I am using is a master. It doesn't have the rubber covered grip. Am I screwed as far as reprogramming goes?
The 1998 don't have a chip in the key. It will most likely work with the non rubber head key.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:59 PM

I have a problem with the remote I just bought off ebay. I can't get it to accept the entire programming sequence and thus work. I have programmed these before without a problem. The numbers on the back exactly match the other one I have that works, so I know I have the proper remote. I have tried this sequence about 30-40 times. I get the 2 lock confirmation after I turn the key twice, but the problem seems to be when I complete the final steps by holding the top 2 buttons then the unlock button. At this point I get the 2 lock confirmation again, which also occurs when I press and hold the lock or unlock buttons. I even, swapped battery's and re-programmed my other remote without a problem. I'm using a copied key. Maybe I should have him get me another.

Last edited by JadeRunner; 06-01-2004 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Scott, if you look at the directions I posted they are similar to yours but with one difference, look at the ending sequence;

10. Close the Drivers door and test all remotes.
After you have completed the program of both remotes, put the key in the ignition and pull it out. Your remotes are now programmed.

As for the key it shouldn't matter at all.......

Last edited by BruceTS; 06-01-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:52 PM

Thanks Bruce, I finally got mine both programmed. And yes your final step was needed.

But, after doing this many times the key seemed to be how I pressed the buttons on the remote. In terms of the timing of how long I held them pressed in and then how quick I pressed the unlock button etc. I did it pretty quick, then I finaly got a confimation of one lock\unlock instead of the two I had been getting. Two lock\unlocks after pressing the remote buttons means you have to start over.

So I would edit you instuctions a little:

If you have 2 remotes make sure you have both remotes ready.
open drivers side door
stick the key in the ignition then pull it out
lock and unlock the door 5 times (that's 10 times that you have to press the button) It should be completed with door unlocked.
shut and then open the door
lock and unlock the door 5 times(that's 10 times that you have to press the button) It should be completed with door unlocked.

stick the key in the ignition and turn to on then off then on then off
pull the key out of the ignition
you should hear the door locks go lock\unlock twice
press the two top buttons on the remote for 1 second
then press the unlock button by itself for 1 second, timing may vary
Now for the second remote,
press the two top buttons on the remote for 1 second, then press the unlock button by itself for 1 second. You should then hear one unlock\lock indicating success. If you hear two unlock\locks then you have to start over. After you have completed the program of both remotes, put the key in the ignition and pull it out. Your remotes are now programmed.

Last edited by JadeRunner; 06-01-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:25 AM

You can make keys for the 99 and up youself also. I got spare keys with the chip in them for my wifes car off e-bay for $10 each. You can have it cut anywhere that cuts keys for like $1. Then program it yourself from a key you already have. Its much easier than doing the remote, and involves only inserting the key in the ignition and pushing the brake or gas in a certain sequence. Takes 30 seconds.

Last edited by Highland Runner; 06-02-2004 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Banned

Talking Kewl

Originally Posted by Highland Runner
You can make keys for the 99 and up youself also. I got spare keys with the chip in them for my wifes car off e-bay for $10 each. You can have it cut anywhere that cuts keys for like $1. Then program it yourself from a key you already have. Its much easier than doing the remote, and involves only inserting the key in the ignition and pushing the brake or gas in a certain sequence. Takes 30 seconds.
The things I learn on Yotatech never cease to amaze me!

Old 06-02-2004, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Highland Runner
Sorry, but I havn't seen this kind of key before. Is it a key with the key fob built in? That would be nice. It doesn't have anything to do with an alarm system does it? I don't have one.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:48 PM

Question Key Programming in a Highlander

Does anyone know if the instructions, above, will program a FOB for a 2004 Highlander, with the factory alarm installed? Also, Does anyone have the programming instructions for programming an extra chipped key?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:29 PM

How do I tell if a fob from e-bay will work on 95runner?

Quick Reply: Lost keyless entry, how easy is it to reprogram a new remote?