Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Looks like I won't be selling my trucks after all...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like I won't be selling my trucks after all...

Well, things totally didn't turn out as planned.

First of all, I expected them to sell like hot cakes. They didn't.

I first got a few emails requesting pics. I sent some pics, including to one buyer who was «very interested». Retard never emailed me back.

Same deal with the Samurai.

Also, I learned something that devastated me : after gas prices went up to 1.47$ a liter here, people all started selling their SUVs and pick ups. Their value dropped. And boy, did they drop...

I priced my 4runner according to others I had seen for sale. It was, after all, meticulously maintained, in pristine condition for 180 000 kms (111 000 miles), so I asked 17 000$ CAN for it.

I figured I could sell it for 16, buy a CR-V for 11 or 12, and have 4 grand to pay some bills.

Well... after seeing the total lack of interest, I called a local used car lot who was selling a CR-V for 11 grand, so I said «we could trade and you could give me like 4 grand or so» (it meant I was letting my truck go for 2k$ less than my initial asking price). His answer? «We could trade, sure, but I don't think I could actually give you money.»

He said he'd call back.

1 hour later, he said he had sold a similar one a week before : 9 900$. A more recent one with half the mileage? 10 500$

I called the Toyota dealership. I figured they would give me more.

Talked to the guy for a few minutes, etc... «well, this is a 10, 11 grand tops, vehicle».

Holy crap!!!

My truck was worth more than 10 grand more than a CR-V 6 years ago, yet the same model year CR-V now sells for more than my truck. What the ÅÅÅÅ?!?!?!

The ONLY reason I was selling this truck was to have some money on the side on top of saving gas. Now, I'm going under if I sell it.

So instead, I found a set of used snow tires for it, and I'm keeping it.

Best of all, I also bought some exhaust fixing tape and a license plate light for the Samurai, and I will actually make it street legal and drive it this winter, when weather allows. 1.0 liters of fury (or is it 1.3?) will NOT be too hard on the gas.

I'm sad that my truck is not worth what it should be, but hey, I'm keeping it.

AND, I found a way to save gas : the *excellent* Sammy.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Banned

the engine is a 1.3
Old 10-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Hugo, don't get to worked up about those prices. The dealers want about 4k in between. So if that CRV is on the lot for 11k, they probably only payed about 7 or 8.
That doesn't change the fact that people are freaking out right now. The worst thing is to sell a vehicle for a big loss to save a couple of bucks on fuel. When you trade a vehicle at a dealer, you always loose a couple of thousand, else they won't make the deal. It takes a lot of fuel to break even taking such a big loss.
Unless you're financially stuck, there is no sense in going to a "cheaper" vehicle. Typically the vehicle you have right now is the cheapest to you.
Let people get used to the current energy prices, after things settle SUVs and trucks will sell again as people like them. They'll find a way to drive one.
It is a good time to go shopping for new 4Runners right now. SUV sales are way down at the moment. Of course a dealer will never admit that.

I think you made the right move by hanging on to your vehicles.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:46 AM

Thanks for the comments.

I was VERY sad to part with the 4Runner.

It is a wonderful vehicle.

So between being broke and getting owned by oil companies AND sad, or broke and getting owned and happy, the latter prevailed.