Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Looking for A/T tire advice

Old 06-02-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for A/T tire advice

Newbie looking for tire advice. I have been reading for a while, and loving it, just joined last month.

I am looking to replace some tires on 16" rims for my 4-RunRun. The truck is mainly used on road. Any suggestions on my best options?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-02-2005, 06:03 PM

Well, welcome to Yotatech.

I would suggest a search because this topic has been covered a lot.

I'm going to be getting either the BFG AT's or the Bridgestone Deuler AT's either one is a great tire.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

BFG ATs are a great off road tire but as a DD there's better and much cheaper options like the Revos,Yokohama Geolandars and even Nitto TerraGrapplers which all cost about $40-$70 a tire cheaper.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:37 AM
lee
Contributing Member

^^^ yup.

if i was going for onroad tires, id get bridgestone dueler revos in a second.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by lee
^^^ yup.

if i was going for onroad tires, id get bridgestone dueler revos in a second.
Got 'em....love 'em - but they ain't cheap!
Old 06-03-2005, 10:04 AM

Bridgestone Dueler Revo's!!!!!

They rock! I had them on my Sierra and loved them - check out the reviews on tirerack.com - they ranked even higher than the BFG TA KO's - which was my all-time favorite tire until I got the Revo's.

(plus they're cheaper than BFG's)

Kurt
Old 06-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

i like the BFG A/T KOs
Old 06-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Another vote for Bridgestone REVO!! Excellent on and offroad tires!
Old 06-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

I've had both and I will go with BFG KO's when I need new tires. KO's suit my needs better, and the sidewall is a bit more aggressive, which I think is better looking.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

BGF T/A KOs all the way. im a tire guy at sams club so i see it all. bridgestone just doesnt have the quality that bfg does
Old 06-03-2005, 01:29 PM

another happy BFG AT owner here. It is pricey tho.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

I had GREAT experiences with the BFG A/T KO's but according to tire rack the Revo's out perform them. I really prefer the look of the BFG and since I was so happy with its performance I dont think I'm going to switch when I need new tires....

Do a search on BFG Revo you'll get a ton of information...
Old 06-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

I've driven a 3rd gen Runner and '94 Toy PU with BFGs and those things had so-so grip on dry roads and anything much over 60mph in the rain and they would get loose and if you spend 90% of your time on road the BFGs are a tad harsh on the wallet unless you feel like paying the price for the "look" (which they do look nice) while having minimal on-road performance qualities.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

BFG KO's and Toyo M/T's

I've had BFG KO's on my runner for over 100k now. They are definitely worn out and need replacement, but I could get another 5-10k if I wanted. I had these tires siped and they had great wet traction for about 60% of their life. It rains alot in the northwest and my ass is peelin out all the time on wet roads, especially going uphill. But, as far as peace of mind, I never sweat a thing. These tires have been abused, but I don't think you could make them fail. But, there is a new tire out, the Toyo M/T, that is supposed to have great mud capability and be fairly quiet on road. Not to mention it is a great looking tire! The only draw back I see is that they are so popular it seems everyone has them already...and they are usually on back order for smaller sizes. Having said all that, I will be purchasing the Toyos as my next tire. Yeah, yeah, they are expensive, but I hate cheapo brand anything so I'm ponying up and getting what I want.

Last edited by Yobroe; 06-04-2005 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with the Phantom AT tires by Fisk. They are actually made by BFG under the Fisk name. I'm running 32's and I got them off Ebay for $376 plus shipping. They have decent enough aggressive tread for bad weather but are actually smooth and quiet on the highway. They are only 2 ply sidewalls like most inexpensive tires so if you plan on rock crawling I wouldn't get them. The BFG AT's are 3 ply sidewalls and you can really tell the difference just by touching the tires. I think the Sport King AT's are the same tire and tread as these Phantoms.

Old 06-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by simonpsu1
The truck is mainly used on road. Any suggestions on my best options?
Hands down, for mostly onroad use, I'd say the Michelin LTX A/T. Lasts 70k+ miles in my experience, does incredibly well in the rain and snow. Handles very well.

Why over-tread a truck if you don't need to?
Old 06-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

I still prefer the BFG A/T OK's for mainly road use. They dont clean very well in the mud and IMO arnt the best when air down. So I wouldnt recommend them for mainly offroad, but then again they arent an offroad only tire so you would get the offroad capability of an M/T.

They are good for occasional offroading so if you use the tire for MAINLY on-road but occasional offroad I think its a pretty good choice. If you NEVER go off-road then I wouldnt recommend them, even though I had really really good snow performance with them I believe you can get something with just as good snow performance with more on-road traction.

As far as dry conditions go I never had a problem with them. Of course I drive my truck like its a truck, not a maniac so that might be the reason I havent had a problem. Also with the taco/4runner pushing less then 200HP its not like you'll have a problem peeling out anywhere, on loose gravel sure but you can spin anything in loose gravel.

The Revo's get alot of good reviews on this forum so I would compare the BFG A/T KO's to them if you are interesting in the BFG's. I personally dont like the look as much and I cant really justify a performance increase since I found the BFG's to be perfect for what I use them for.

When comparing take peoples advice with a grain of salt. Everyone likes and prefers something different. Its good to listen to people advice and read reviews but dont strictly base your decision on it.

If you decide on the Revo's I would look into the C load rating and not the E. The E in my opinion is a little better on a heavier truck, full size, large SUV ex Subarban. With the C load rating you'll experience a much more nice ride. I like BFG's D load rating but I dont think you can get a D load rating on a Revo.

Now that I look on tirerack I see they offer the Revo in three load ratings. They offer C, E, and SL. I would still stick with C, I think E's 10ply construction is overkill for a runner and of course SL (standard load) is P-metric and CAN be used on a truck/suv although meant for a passenger car, it will suffer from a lose in load carrying compacity on a truck and I dont believe you can air them up like you can an LT tire rated in C,D, and E.

You could just go with the BFG A/T KO which comes in one load rating in different size all meant for trucks. hehe
Old 06-04-2005, 07:32 PM

i would have to say the Bridgestone Duelers AT i have no troublem them offroad and they have climbed anything i have gone on so yea and there cheaper then the BFG's so thats another plus
Old 04-03-2006, 10:34 AM

I would love to know where you people find the Bridgestone tires cheaper then the BFGs - because I'm not seeing it. Could someone help me out please? When I checked at a local dealer on some 33x10.50 BFG ATs - they priced me $105 and now maybe cheaper from a friend at another dealership. I just never got a cheap price on the Bridgestones ... maybe I'm not looking at the right places.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:25 PM

those are 15" wheels... bump your searches up to 16" and the prices change a bit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for A/T tire advice