Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Looking for feedback on my foglight mounting

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 01:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for feedback on my foglight mounting

I mounted my Hella Optilux 1250's today and I am not too sure yet if I like the location. I just drilled into the Valance. The are mounted nice and solid and don't seem to vulnerable to damage but just not sure if I like how they look here. I have never dealt with Fog Lights before and they are not aimed AT ALL yet so I have no idea what they'll look like in the dark. The right one looks brighter in every pic because of the angle of it. Anyways for those who've messed with Fog's alot I am looking for some feedback/ideas about this location. I could always remove them and live with 4 5/32" holes in the Valance where no one would ever see them. I wish that aftermarket Valance that perf sells had the fog holes in the outsides instead of right where my pushbar mounts.
Here's the pics

Do them look centered to you guys?? I used a square to try and center them off the blinkers. They look pretty close to me but sometimes it helps to have someone else look at em. I don't think my neighbor really cares

And yes they have the Carbon Fiber look... bling bling.. Had to have something to go along with Carbon PIAA wiper blades..
Can't wait till it get's dark to crank on all these suckers! Would be even better if I had two more Hella's up on Load Warrior Rack!
Old 12-28-2002, 04:26 AM

For function, that is probably the best location, low and wide.
For fashon, they would look good inside the bottom bumper opening, just inside the guard uprights, but I do not know how feasable that location is.

Actually, after a second look, the existing location looks pretty good with all the light on.

Guess I am not being much help, am I? :rolleyes:

Michael
Old 12-28-2002, 11:51 AM

Looks good to me mate!
butnut
Old 12-28-2002, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

WOW

The Fogs make up that little bit area that the low beams miss. Now with my Fog's on, the headlights on Low and my Hella 500's on there is some light on the road!!! Did some preliminary aiming but still need to find a nice and level spot to aim them properly.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:21 PM

Dood, I think they look awesome there & are functionally-sound. But will they impede your approach angle & possibly get torn apart at some point with off-roading fun? That's the only drawback I can think of.

Al
Old 12-28-2002, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HBoss
Dood, I think they look awesome there & are functionally-sound. But will they impede your approach angle & possibly get torn apart at some point with off-roading fun? That's the only drawback I can think of.

Al
Al I thought of this and the front approach angle seems like it's always less then the rear. I WILL have to keep in mind they are there though. I made the power and ground with with female/male connectors so I can unscrew them and unplug em if I KNOW I am going to be doing some hardcore stuff. If I forget at least I'll know what that funny noise was when I hit the bottom of a hill:eek:
Old 12-28-2002, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by UKMyers
I made the power and ground with with female/male connectors so I can unscrew them and unplug em if I KNOW I am going to be doing some hardcore stuff.
Smart thinkin'! In that case, I think they are exactly perfect where you installed 'em.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:14 PM
Banned

Way to plan ahead with a semi-quick disconnect install!! Its a difficult compromise with fog lights on an offroader. To be effective the lights have to be low but putting them low means they likely will be sacrificed to the Gods of the trail.

Your solution is ideal.

The only other issue I can think of is theft. If they are easy to remove for trail rides they are easy to remove by thieves.

Oh well, you can't win them all. :mad: bastard thieves ruin everything.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

They look good to me. How are you liking your Hella 500's? I'm looking to mount some on my factory brush guard.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Looks Good

O like those lamps alot. They look reallly goood with the carbon fiber thing you've got going on (bling-bling - hehehe). I think you won't need to worry about bashing them - if you don't do any boulder bashing that is. If it is a straight on departure angle thing, your grille guard will dig in about the same time from the looks of your pics.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:27 AM

Re: Looks Good

Originally posted by Cebby
If it is a straight on departure angle thing, your grille guard will dig in about the same time from the looks of your pics.
I noticed that in the pic too, but you know as well as I, that we don't always approach mogul hills in a 4x4 straight on. You got left coming up one way and the right bouncing another and..well, you knows what I mean.

This fog-light installation has inspired me though. I can't wait to get my bumper and fogs in the spring.

Al
Old 12-30-2002, 07:33 AM

My only concern is the mounting surface. The valance is probably the same as type of material as my old '92 truck. I wouldn't expect that thin metal to keep the lights vibration free. Most fog light kits use a solid metal bracket mounted to the frame to minimize vibration. Have a buddy drive your truck (yeah, right) or have a buddy drive in front of you on the motorway to see if they vibrate. Sorry, but vibrating fog/driving lights on oncoming traffic is very distracting.

Otherwise, you have got the right idea with mounting them low and on the corners. Just trying to give some constructive criticism
Old 12-30-2002, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Hermes thanks I was afraid of this too. Driving at night with my headlights completely off they lights don't appear to vibrate unless I am hitting potholes or something but that shouldn't be the case out on the highway. I do need to have someone drive that I know oncoming to me and make sure they are not blinding. I adjusted them up just a smidge from what the instructions called for and I read that poorly adjusted foglights can blind other drivers. I hate bright lights in my eyes and certanly don't want to do it other people.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:45 PM

Yeah, just check it to make sure they are pretty solid. I know I said mount to the frame before but I meant a solid part of the truck. If you have access to tools or a buddy, have them fab some brackets. I bought the Hella kit from PP because it came with the brackets.

Usually, you see the bouncing fogs attached to a homegrown 'Type R' Honda with fake blue headlights
Old 12-30-2002, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

like the position of the fogs man. looks very stylish, and seem to compliment the wiper blades nicely. has anyone seen fogs like these mounted in the little area below the turn signal?
Old 12-30-2002, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

dude, bad news....the one on the right looks about .12 millimeters too far to the center.

nah, just joking of course. looks good man.