Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Looking to buy a welder!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy a welder!

I'm looking to get a welder (or two but preferrably just one). I won't be welding every day or anything, but every once and a while I may want to fab up bumper, even a winch bumper, so I'll want to weld up to 1/4" metal or so. Perhaps weld together a roll cage, who knows. For instance, I have two winch bumpers, a TJM 17 and a Prozap, and both have to be relocated up 2-3" for a body lift. I used a 225v basic Lincoln welder on one of them, that I borrowed from someone and it seemed to work well. But I will also want to weld sheet metal for doing occasional body work. I've had recommendations from everything from getting a stick welder and a wire feed, to just getting a good wirefeed that will do both with different gauge wire.

Does stick welding with a lincoln basic AC-225 model work, or do I need to consider the DC version such as the AC/DC 225/125? Price is definately a factor here. I don't even know what to expect for pricing other than the lincoln AC-225 was only $229 at Home Depot. I'd definately like to keep it under $1000, but if I go that high I'll have to wait a while. If I don't get one single welder that will suffice for all my needs, $1000 will have to be split over two welders.

What are you using and what types of things do you use it for? Feedback will be much appreciated!
Old 01-16-2003, 10:53 PM

I am probably 6 months or more away from buying, but I am going with either the Millermatic 175 http://www.millerwelds.com/main/products/mig/M10561/ or the Thunderbolt XL AC/DC http://www.millerwelds.com/main/products/stick/M16100/

I am only now learning to weld, but the AC/DC gives you more options. I am leaning toward the 175. Check www.weldersmall.com www.cyberweld.com or www.praxair.com for prices.

BTW, I plan on using it for all sorts of fabrication, including sliders.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:23 AM

When welding 1/4 inch thick metal. To get a better, stronger hold a stick welder is better to use. Sure you could use a mig with thicker gauge wire but you still would get the hold you would out of the stick and besides the way you're talking you're going to be mounting some winches and you want the strongest hold for them. A mig is fine for sheet metal, it's even good for 1/4 inch metal as long as it's not for a winch or something that needs a lot of strength.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:12 AM

Originally posted by Toby1
A mig is fine for sheet metal, it's even good for 1/4 inch metal as long as it's not for a winch or something that needs a lot of strength.
I'm assuming you're limiting your opinion to the wimpy 110v Mig units because that's absolutely not true at all.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the responses! I will definately be staying towards 220v models since I already have other tools running off it. What i will likely end up doing is buying an AC/DC 225 stick and a small wire feed. That way I don't have to buy something that "can do all" but perhaps not do it all as well as two different ones. Kinda like there's no automobile that's designed to do all types of driving really well.

I have no current needs for wirefeed right now, though I do the occassional bit of body work in the summer time. So, I can just get a stick welder for now and get a wire feed later when I will actually need it. It's too cold to even consider body work in the winter and my garage heater doesn't warm up that much!

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 09-10-2003, 07:19 PM

So is there a consensus as to who makes the best quality welders?

Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by ravencr
So is there a consensus as to who makes the best quality welders?

Chris
For GMAW (MIG) Miller would be my vote, but there's lots of good ones available. What are you looking for?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:35 PM

I'm looking for an easy to use welder that will make the cleanest, strongest welds possible for welding things like bumpers and other high strength stuff. I'm thinking a MIG, bu I have no clue about these things are how to do it yet. I've got a friend that has a stock welder, but surely there's an easier and cleaner way to do it.

Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to PBB and read like the devil.

There is enough reading over there on this sort of thing to keep you busy for a couple of years.

The highlights are:
-Miller, Lincoln or Hobart, more likely to find replacement stuff off the shelf
-Models in the 175 range and up get you gas and 220 volts
-for $600 you can get a nice Mig that will do 95% of what the average wheeler fab guy will need.

Last edited by Flygtenstein; 09-10-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein

There is enough reading over there on this sort of thing to keep you busy for a couple of years.

The highlights are:
Miller or Hobart, more likely to find replacement stuff off the shelf
Models in the 175 range and up get you gas and 220 volts
for $600 you can get a nice Mig that will do 95% of what the average wheeler fab guy will need.
That's exactly what I'm looking for. But, what's PBB, and what's their web site? When you say 175 range, what are you referring to? So I need gas, but I've already got enough of that! and 220 volts preferably, right? Yeah, I'd love to stay around $500 or so.

Thanks again for the help,

Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

PBB = http://www.pirate4x4.com/welcome1.html
Old 09-10-2003, 07:59 PM

Ah, thanks!

Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein

The highlights are:
-Miller, Lincoln or Hobart, more likely to find replacement stuff off the shelf
-Models in the 175 range and up get you gas and 220 volts
-for $600 you can get a nice Mig that will do 95% of what the average wheeler fab guy will need.
^ exactly what he said! Don't forget safety gear like a hood and gloves. And keep your skin covered, unless you like sunburns...

"Welding is like superglue for big kids"

Last edited by Shane; 09-10-2003 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by ShawnF
Thanks for the responses! I will definately be staying towards 220v models since I already have other tools running off it. What i will likely end up doing is buying an AC/DC 225 stick and a small wire feed. That way I don't have to buy something that "can do all" but perhaps not do it all as well as two different ones. Kinda like there's no automobile that's designed to do all types of driving really well.

I have no current needs for wirefeed right now, though I do the occassional bit of body work in the summer time. So, I can just get a stick welder for now and get a wire feed later when I will actually need it. It's too cold to even consider body work in the winter and my garage heater doesn't warm up that much!

Thanks,

Shawn
Hold your horses man. I feel like you are getting some bad info in this thread. I would highly recommend that you not get a stick welder. That seems to me a waste of money. I read your post and it screams MIG to me. They are not as expensive as many think. Shop around and you can get a good one for WELL under 1000 bucks. Stick welders DO NOT hold metal together any better than a MIG. Stick welders, in my humble opinion are more difficult to master. A stick welder is DEFINATELY NOT what you want for doing any kind of sheet metal. Save your pennies for a bit and get a decent MIG and find an experienced welder to give you some tips or read a book or buy a video on it and definately practice before you start building anything and definately before you weld anything to your truck. I promise you that you will be much happier in the end. Oh yeah, and as someone else said, there are 101 threads about this on pirate, you could read for days so I would definately head over there and give some of those thread a look through. There are some very good and experienced welders over there...

Dave
Old 09-10-2003, 08:33 PM

Calm down Dave, check the date on Shawn's post. 01-18-2003
Old 09-10-2003, 08:35 PM

So, the miller 175, hobart 175 or lincoln 175 would all be good choices, right? Any preferences on which of these three would be the best all-around welder and top quality?

Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 08:37 PM

Split between Miller and Lincoln, Hobart is a sub-brand of Miller with cheaper parts. They're still good as well though, just more affordable.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:39 PM

BTW, http://cyberweld.com/ is where I got my 251. It arrived two days after I placed the order and was the cheapest price I could find. I thought it was gonna take like 2 weeks since they're on the east coast, but they had it drop shipped direct from a Miller warehouse somewhere in Oregon.

Last edited by Shane; 09-10-2003 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:39 PM

Ah, okay, so Miller or Lincoln, heh? Is one easier to use over the other? Where would be the best place to get the best price on either of these?

Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 08:41 PM

That's a tad too rich for my blood. I wish I could, but after buying whatever else I need for welding, I'll have probably close to a $1000, or more, right?

By the way, what do you guys recommend for the supplies I'll need to complement the welder?

Chris

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a welder!