Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Looking to buy a Toyota 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy a Toyota 4Runner

Found a 1997 Toyota 4 Runner V6 2wd auto trans ( person installed new leather interior with new carpet with 200k miles $2500 really sounds good - but at the same time I am shopping for a suv to drive daily, I really like the Toyota 4Runners. But for some reason, I feel like the older models would last longer. also the new one are so high in price. Would really like a 4wd but really don't need it. I have been looking at this one and a 2001 Toyota 4 Runner V6 2wd with auto trans w/ 212000 $3600 about the same...

Last edited by kaustin6; 11-18-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Is there a question in there somewhere?

Those both have the 3.4 engine, which seems to be a really good engine. I don't know anything about the auto tranny.

Someone more familiar with 4Runners will have to speak up about the differences between the two, and if one is somehow nicer than another.

But the thing to do is just do the research yourself. When I was looking to buy a truck, I googled all sorts of different things, comparing models, seeing if there were specific problems with different year ranges, etc. It's all pretty much out there on the internet already, and a little searching with the right search terms will bring it up.

Between 97 and 01 I'm not sure one will last longer than the other. Those are both pretty modern (in my opinion) vehicles. What will make the difference is how well each has been maintained. Pick the one that seems like it's been treated better and maintained better.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The a340f autos are among the most reliable ever made. I pushed 350whp through one for a year and did awesome even with 220k miles on it. You can use cheap dex3 fluid in it too. If you don't need 4wd, you can save a lot of money on a 4runner. 4wd vs 2wd same options here is $2000 vs $4500.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaustin6
Found a 1997 Toyota 4 Runner V6 2wd auto trans ( person installed new leather interior with new carpet with 200k miles $2500 really sounds good - but at the same time I am shopping for a suv to drive daily, I really like the Toyota 4Runners. But for some reason, I feel like the older models would last longer. also the new one are so high in price. Would really like a 4wd but really don't need it. I have been looking at this one and a 2001 Toyota 4 Runner V6 2wd with auto trans w/ 212000 $3600 about the same...
Originally Posted by 83
Is there a question in there somewhere?

Those both have the 3.4 engine, which seems to be a really good engine. I don't know anything about the auto tranny.

Someone more familiar with 4Runners will have to speak up about the differences between the two, and if one is somehow nicer than another.

But the thing to do is just do the research yourself. When I was looking to buy a truck, I googled all sorts of different things, comparing models, seeing if there were specific problems with different year ranges, etc. It's all pretty much out there on the internet already, and a little searching with the right search terms will bring it up.

Between 97 and 01 I'm not sure one will last longer than the other. Those are both pretty modern (in my opinion) vehicles. What will make the difference is how well each has been maintained. Pick the one that seems like it's been treated better and maintained better.
That is not a bad price for a 97 2WD 4runner. However, keep in mind that any high mileage car especially one with 200K+ miles, you will have to fix things and you will have issues of some kind in the future.

As you mentioned "I feel like the older models would last longer", that is not always the case as a 1990 4runner is way different from a 1997 4runner. Both have there pros and cons.

If you are set on buying the 97, make sure that it is running within spec and check the condition.