Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

looking for a 200amp alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for a 200amp alternator?

go to excessiveamperage.com. The guys name is nathan. He builds alternators and he works for him self. Believe it or not, he charged me only 310 bucks and it included everything + extra
I got the 200 amp harness and 4ft of 4g wire. On top of that he even painted it for me. Where can you beat that? NWOR wanted 700+ for a 160 amp alternator.
ill post a review after i install it tomorrow. Before i do that can anyopne suggest to me if i need to change the wire to the starter as well? hopefully my interstate battery wont be harmed or can hold out till i get a deepcycle battery. OH yea, this is a direct bolton, no brackets needed for my 22-re
here are some pics

Old 12-11-2003, 07:54 PM

I don't know to much about alternators, but does this harm you voltage regulator at all? overheat it? Or any other electrical systems

Jeff
Old 12-13-2003, 10:18 AM
JBM

Yeah Nate's alts are great.... So good that I made his website for him...!! Just submit a price quote request form and he'll get back to you real quick.

Deception...have you put yours in yet...?
Old 12-13-2003, 01:45 PM

hell yea this thing rocks i can run all 4 top lights, rear light, fogs and hgave everything going and there is no dimming at all. I think instead of putting in a isolator kit, i might just put another battery in series with the one i have. It was reccomended by nate and im going to see how that works
Old 12-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

He quoted me $310 for my runner, I'll be placing an order with him very soon. I'm still trying to figure out the best spot for a second battery. So far doing a side by side configuration looks the most promising. There may be enough space to put 2 optimum batteries sideways, but I'll have to relocate the radiator over flow tank.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Mounting dual batts.?

hey guys got an idea for you... change the air filter to a K&N cone type and then do the "silencer removal mod" in the tech section but shorten the pipe to pull the filter back from the front of the truck. in addition remove that other filter box and hose(these are for the PCV system) from the front and and replace it with a Mini K&N right on the front of the engine this looks and works great by the way... the small shelf you have just 'free'd up is the spot where they put the second battery on the diesel yota's. it even has the bolt holes for the tie-downs already... Cheers Aviator... Ps I know this was not too clear I hope to post a pic soon to clarify.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by BruceTS
He quoted me $310 for my runner, I'll be placing an order with him very soon. I'm still trying to figure out the best spot for a second battery. So far doing a side by side configuration looks the most promising. There may be enough space to put 2 optimum batteries sideways, but I'll have to relocate the radiator over flow tank.
I think Downey has a kit to relocate the overflow tank.
also, let me know about the dual battery setup. my winch is just gonna draw a lot from my battery, as well as lights (when I get those)

Bruce, PM'd you
Old 12-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Hey cebby...
How much was yours from mr. alternator? I'm curious because thats not far from me and I need a new alt. and want to upgrade at the same time. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2003, 10:28 PM
Contributing Member

If i get a chance tomorrow I'll takes some measurments, I may have to move the fusebox assy over a bit too

I was thinking about doing something like this:

a bit of photoshop...........
Old 12-13-2003, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of alternator is it exactly? Sure doesn't look like a NipponDenso unit. Very cool if it bolts right up though.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:28 PM

most are factory housings that are re wounded and rebuilt.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:28 AM

very nice find...

just a question for those who installed them.

on my 3vz-e 4runner, the factory wiring diagrams shows an 80 amp fusible link between the alt and the battery.

do you guys just wire the alt's output straight to the batt? bypassing the fusible link and skinny oem wire?
Old 12-14-2003, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

I took some measurments, it looks like I'll be able to fit 2 batteries side by side. The mount that holds the overflow tank is just spot welded in place, so that can easily be drilled out, then I'll relocate the tank in front of the radiator, between the grill. That seems to be the best spot for it. It started to rain, so I couldn't remove my battery and do a physical fit yet. That will have to wait for a for now, holiday season and a ride comming up next weekend. The fusebox lower mount might still need to be cut off and a new bracket made, or I can stagger the batteries a bit.

As for putting the battery where the stock airbox is, I thought of that when I had the K&N FIPK system in. I removed that system because it allowed more dirt through, than my stock airfilter. Also got tired of the excessive intake noise, so that route is out of the question.

As for the alternator, I'm not sure just how I will wire that in yet, maybe after chatting with Nate, I'll have a better idea. Also looking into wiring in a MOBI-ARC Control Unit: http://www.mobi-arc.com/application.htm
Old 12-19-2003, 01:35 PM

That 200 amp alt looks just like the CS130 105 amp alternator I just picked up from a junkyard for $30.
It was a reman it was tested in 2000 so overall it's pretty new. I got the harness with it so all I have to do is figure out what pins are what and splice the exsiting connector and upgrade the wire to the battery and boom I should be set right?

Last edited by 934rnr; 12-19-2003 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by turboale
Hey cebby...
How much was yours from mr. alternator? I'm curious because thats not far from me and I need a new alt. and want to upgrade at the same time. Thanks!
If memory serves, it was $245 shipped for a 140amp in a stock Nippondenso case. Makes mounting easy - all plug and play. Mine included a powdercoating charge of like $10 I think. I had to have mine in YELLOW

Tom is top notch and a pleasure to deal with.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:46 PM

I just curious that how much is 96' 4runner 3.4 V6 amp's output? I went to the Mr. alt. he has 150. If I have higher amp than stock, what will happen to my car? fry the electric system?
Old 12-20-2003, 11:58 AM

put it this way mkool... you can't push a rope can you?

Unless I'm mistaken it only puts out what your system needs... you draw more.. it puts more out...

of course if Im wrong I just made a big a$$ of myself... ill go back to my nyquil....
Old 12-31-2003, 12:58 PM

Hey Alternator guy!....that hand looks familiar. Tell me, is that hand powerful than the alternator itself?
Old 12-31-2003, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by decepticon
i might just put another battery in series with the one i have.
I'm sure this is just nit picking on my part but two batteries in series gives you 24V.
Very nice setup though. With more windings do you have to worry about shortened life?
Old 12-31-2003, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by maherj
I'm sure this is just nit picking on my part but two batteries in series gives you 24V.
Very nice setup though. With more windings do you have to worry about shortened life?
More windings don't equal a shortened life. I would be concerned about voltage regulator, slip ring, brushes or bearings wearing out before the windings opened or shorted.

300 AMPs alternator sounds like a great trail welder. Though I am confused about the need for an additional battery.

If someone has a chance, could they explain the need for the extra battery wired in serial? Thanks.

EDIT: Slip rings are for generator not alternator. Commutator is used in alernators. My mistake .

Last edited by amusement; 01-01-2004 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: looking for a 200amp alternator?