Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

longer term head gasket solution 3.4L

Old 06-01-2007, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
longer term head gasket solution 3.4L

Hi all. I'm Jason. I'm new to the forum here. Nice place! There are a lot of threads on here about head gaskets. I don't claim to have read them all either, so let me know if this take on the issue has been discussed, plz. After having my entire engine rebuilt and coming up with head gasket problems twice (free under warranty) after in 40k miles or so, I'm beginning to wonder if there is a better way to get some more miles from these things. The builder/machine shop says they won't even do Toyota V6's anymore because they just have too many reliability issues after so many miles. They say that to really do it right, you may need to replace the heads with new, fresh aluminum - aluminum that hasn't been softened by the repetitive heat cycles, older heads have gone through. They also suggested stronger head bolts that flex less - maybe Ti material? They also suggested headers to reduce heat. They said that the 3.0 is a little worse off than the 3.4, but generally if i want a reliable V6, get a different truck... like a Nissan which has like 20% or something more bolts fastening down the heads. These guys have done a lot of Toyota motors over the years and many apparently from the local dealership themselves and are believers at this point that Toyota is just stubbornly avoiding a needed redesign of the heads.

Anyway, the question or thought again is, has anyone come up with a reliable means of getting say another 100k+ of solid head gaskets from a rebuilt 3.4 motor?

I really like the truck and want to put a supercharger and exhaust on the truck to give it some needed extra juice, but man, how often will it have to come off for gaskets, ya know...
Old 06-01-2007, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Take a good look around here - there are plenty of people running high milage V6s in their trucks and Runners. There was a very recent thread about someone just turning 300,000 on theirs.

The 3.0s have a bad rap because of the change in head gaskets after asbestos was outlawed. Those problems can be resolved, and there is still a recall in effect for them. That the engine is no screamer is just a function of the fact that it was never designed to be. I had great luck with mine, until a remote oil filter hose blew, and it siezed. I had 134,000 worry free miles from it.

My understanding is that the early 3.4s had some head gasket issues, as well, but I believe that Toyota did a recall on those, too. I swapped one into my truck, and have been very happy with it. Better power and drivability than the 3.0, and many folks around here have high 100,000 miles on them (mine is at about 72,000, now!)

Proper care will work wonders on any engine, and it will lead to a long, happy life on Toyotas, especially. It sounds a bit like your machine shop just doesn't particularly care for them - find one that does, next time.

Welcome to Yotatech! Take some time to find out for yourself about what to expect from our chosen beasties!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:13 AM

Keep in mind that a machine shop, by definition, will only see engines that have been a problem. Problems can arise from poor maintenance far easier than poor design or materials. Aluminum going soft due to "heat cycles" suggests a problem with a customer not maintaining their cooling system appropriately, or possibly other maintenance issues.

The broad history of Toyota and reliability speaks for itself. The 3.4 is not exception. I've got 96k miles on mine, with no problems to speak of. I'm expecting at least 200k miles on mine, but won't be surprised to see it go further. I sold my truck with a 3.slow in it with 186,000 miles and it ran better than the day I bought it at 66,000 miles. And the 3.4L engine is far better than the 3.0.

That's my opinion.

MadCityRich
2002 4Runner Ltd
poly steering rack bushings
more mods to come
Old 06-01-2007, 09:23 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A friend of mine who is a mechanic knows the secret.

Do headgasket and use new bolts, about 5k later tighten them, check at 10k and tighten again if you need to.

But his supra is the exact same way, 90 or so had the same exact problems, they gotta be retorqued after a few miles.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:21 AM

I got 100k on mine and it is running fine, however I might actually just have gotten a small leak recently. My old nissan leaked a lot more when I donated it (somewhere at 120-130K). I think you can get unlucky with every car make. The older Toyota Previas sounds like crap when they drive by.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:35 AM

I had 130k SUPERCHARGED miles on my last 98 4Runner. Ran great.....until it was totalled. Now, I've got an 02 w/73k miles. I hope to run this rig to the ground and get 300k+ miles.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:01 AM

Hmm, thanks guys. Yes, I'm going to keep the truck for sure, so problems or not this is the engine I'm going to be using. So next I need to see what I'm in for with doing the head gaskets and exhaust in my garage. I have a lot of questions there - but to start does Toyota sell a decent Tacoma manual on the procedure? I have the Chilton's I bought at Pep Boys and that thing is not much better than nothing. It's missing a lot of detail I think and the photos are weak. Is there a good alternative to stock head bolts, so the valve covers don't have to come off for re-torquing as much? Maybe that's the problem I'm having with this set... didn't do a re-torque.
Thanks again and glad to have found you guys. This seems like a great place for us Yota stompers.

Last edited by IamJDev; 06-01-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:09 AM

I figured I would chime in on the reliability of the 3.4, I have 179,000 on my 97 and have had 0 problems. Just the regular maintenance. But on my 93 Nissan hard body I have had to rebuild the head and the manual tranny. Both have been meticulously cared for, but the toyota has just had less problems. Take it for what it's worth. I think either are good choices, I just wouldn't depend on my Nissan to make it from Knoxville to Nashville and back without giving me headaches.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:39 AM

Interesting about the Nissan... I guess it depends on who you talk to. Nissan is not known for their popular trucks for sure. That particular shop reports seeing a lot more recalls with freshly rebuilt Toyotas than Nissans I think is their specific point - something about the heads losing their ability to hold shut after being taken off and there being so many miles on them. I guess that's really the point of this thread... reliability of an engine that has already been rebuilt.

By the way, it's a 1995.5 sr5 4x4 which I had to have the engine torn completely down at about 160k miles after learning the truck had already had it's head gasket recall performed. The reason for the tear down though was the radiator apparently was likely never flushed (I'm the 3rd owner) and it overheated from it being totally plugged up. One head actually cracked. The first set of gaskets from there lasted about 20k miles with coolant leaking down the block. The second/current set has started a check engine light from a misfire in cylinder 1. I made the mistake of thinking the leak was small enough to pour some expensive temp fix goop in it which has bought me the light coming on at least intermittently now. I've now got 200k on this truck! The front diff went bad and was replaced about 15k miles ago. All else seems to still be going strong.

Last edited by IamJDev; 06-01-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Factory Service Manuals, all the way!

There is an on-line source, through Toyota, to get it all, but I'm a neandethal that still likes having the paper books around for my projects. Pricey, but I've never regretted having them around!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:26 PM

im about to break 200K on my 96 last i know it was tuned up around 100K runs great!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:32 PM

This is the first time I've heard anyone of having 3.4L headgasket problems? The 3.slo's were a different story though. Toyota makes a very reliable V6; however, I'll stick to my 2.7L!
Old 06-03-2007, 08:25 PM

not sure on this one. this theory only apply to the MKIII supra. A lot of trial and error have been done and now there is a single torque number when torqueing the gasket for those MKIII. btw, i use to own one, and i know exactly what youre talking about.
Originally Posted by CJM
A friend of mine who is a mechanic knows the secret.

Do headgasket and use new bolts, about 5k later tighten them, check at 10k and tighten again if you need to.

But his supra is the exact same way, 90 or so had the same exact problems, they gotta be retorqued after a few miles.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:41 PM

I spoke to a guy I know who used to own and operate a Honda repair shop and ran the re-torque scenario by him. He said he had some experiences with Honda where problem new head gaskets were alleviated by going in and re-torquing the heads. Apparently at some time Honda had a recall of some of their vehicles for HG's and after testing the theory on a sample set of cars concluded the installation process just needed to be revised. He also said that the studs will harmlessly stretch but after a few removals and installs it would be good to replace the studs.

I found a link to the factory manual in another thread on manuals floating by recently here. I'm going to try it and see if that keeps the check engine light off.