Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lockers: Model and Description

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lockers: Model and Description

Another locker question. I've been curious about this for a while. What lockers are manual and full time or 4wd electronic engage. Could one describe all the differences.

ARB is a compresser that turns it on with a switch.

Toyota Electronic is engaged when 4wd is engaged.

Lock Right is full time and replaces some gears, and clicks a lot.

What other good tipes are there, especially a Detroit Locker. Are they full time or what?

If someone could explain this to me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Alex
Old 08-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Banned

it comes down to this: open differential, limited slip differential, selectively locked differential, and automatically locked differential

open: one wheels spins although supposedly both do but it never happens that way (best on a daily driver with no plans of wheeling outside of graded gravel roads)

limited slip: both spin to a point, then one will brake free (best for mainly a street driver with mild offroading in mind)

locker [automatic or selective]: locks both wheels together for ultimate traction
Old 08-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AKennedy87
Toyota Electronic is engaged when 4wd is engaged.
Actually, the TRD e-locker is also operated by switch and only when you're in 4lo. There's a few write-ups out there that show you how to allow the e-locker to engage in 4hi.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little bit of rehash, a little bit of clarification (hopefully):

Open - contains spider and side gears that allow full differentiation. They allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds around corners or when one tire has no traction. Average speed of both tires remains constant ie one will speed up around a corner, one will slow down. Power is typically transmitted to the tire moving fastest. Unfortunately, when one tire has no traction, it is getting all the speed and thus power.
  • Almost all stock differentials are open
Limited slip - contains either clutch packs are special gears that direct full power to both wheels unless one has dramatically lower traction. Clutch pack types require special gear oil and/or additives to maintain function and prolong clutch life. Good for marginal traction situations but not so good on a total loss of traction by one wheel. Wheelspin can be reduced by practiced use of the brake. When installed in front, has minimal effect on steering. Minimal added tire wear on the street.
  • Detroit Tru-Track (gear driven)
  • TRD (clutch packs)
  • Auburn Gear (clutch packs)
Automatic locker - Come in two varieties; drop-in and full carrier. Lock the axles together except under turning situations under limited throttle. Allow one tire to spin faster than the driven wheel but not slower. In this situation, the tire with the most traction will get all the power and one with no traction will get none. Drop-in types are easier to install since you replace the spider and side gears on your existing carrier but full-carrier models are generally stronger. When mounted in front axle, can affect steering especially under throttle. Increased tire wear on the street.
  • Detroit EZ-Locker (drop-in)
  • Lock-Rite (drop-in)
  • Aussie Locker (drop-in)
  • Detroit (full carrier)
Spool - the simplest, strongest and providing the most traction. With a spool, the two axles are locked together with a sleeve, there is no differentiation at all. A so-called "Lincoln Locker" fits into this catagory but isn't really a spool. It is the locking together of a differentials internals (usually an open model) by welding them up solid. Can affect steering significantly when installed in front. Will cause rapid tire wear on the street since one tire will always drag around corners.
  • There is a Toyota 8" spool available but I'm unsure of the manufacturer.
  • Welded or "Lincoln-Locker"
Selectable locker - These are hybrid differentials that act like an open differential or limited slip until locked then they act like a spool. These can be operated either by air, electricity, or cables. Usually considered the best option for trucks that see street use. Little to no effect to steering when unlocked. Little or no additional tire wear on the street unless it is locked.
  • ARB (air operated, open)
  • Factory Toyota electric (electric but can be cable operated as well, open)
  • Factory Toyota cable (cable operated, found on some Landcruisers before the electric model came out)
  • OX (cable operated, no longer available, no Toyota applications)
  • Detroit Elec-Trak (electric, limited-slip, no Toyota applications yet)

I welcome any corrections/additions.

Last edited by toy283; 08-04-2004 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:33 AM

Thanks for all the advise, some of this wasnt clear to me.

I dont think I have cash for a all out locker yet but wanted a lil better traction. I have heard the Automatics were pretty danderous especially since we get a good amount of snow up here in MA so I want to stay clear of those.

I was thinking about a limited slip and saw the Detroit Tru-Trac but saw this
"DETROIT TRUETRAC TOYOTA 8 IN 4 CYL REAR ONLY 30 SPL ALL"
What does the ONLY 30 SPL ALL" mean, 30 spline?

It may be good to get something like this but I have a feeling I'll just save up my cash and get an ARB someday...

Again thanks for all the advise,
Alex
Old 08-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AKennedy87
I was thinking about a limited slip and saw the Detroit Tru-Trac but saw this
"DETROIT TRUETRAC TOYOTA 8 IN 4 CYL REAR ONLY 30 SPL ALL"
What does the ONLY 30 SPL ALL" mean, 30 spline?

Alex
Yeah, those numbers get really confusing. Your best bet (I learned this the hard way) is to call the seller, give him the EXACT specs of your truck, and let him tell you which you need.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:54 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Go prowl around the Reider Racing site. Lots of great descriptions of various products. It isn't complete, they only describe what they sell, but there's plenty there to learn about. www.reiderracing.com