Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Locker for Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locker for Daily Driver

Hi, I couldnt find any threads pertaining to this locker question, I was wondering if anybody had an EZ locker or Lockright. I wanted to throw 2 lockers into my truck, but it is mainly a daily driver. Does anyone have this setup, and if so, how does it work for you, noticeably different handling, or just plain bad handling. I offroad, maybe once a month, and the ATRAC system on my '01 doesnt cut it. I do a lot of parrallel parking, and, it is Jersey, so a lot of jughandles, and U-Turns, etc. So if anyone is running dual full time lockers, could you let me know your like/dislikes about this setup for a daily driver use. I do not want an ARB, too pricey, and dont want air hoses. The e-locker would only lock the back, and I am not mechanically inclined enough to install it myself. So I am left only with the lockrights, aussie lockers, or ez locker. This site claims the EZ locker is for the occasional off roader, which is me, but I dont want my truck to handle badly on the roads. I have read similar threads on other boards, and have come up with mixed reviews. But I want my truck locked, and I dont want it too handle poorly. Is that too much to ask for a lunchbox locker, or is it reasonable? Sorry if this is a re-post, I read many threads here, but none asked this specific questions. I I have missed it, I apologize in advance, if someone could point me to a thread that I have missed, that would be great too. Thanks,
Jason
Old 01-27-2006, 05:59 PM

by the way it is an auto
Old 01-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Try posting this in the off-road tech section. You may get more replies.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

I'm locked in the rear with a lockrite and literally I can hardly notice it when driving normally. The only times it makes itself known is when backing out of a parking space and accelerating while turning sharply i.e turning right from a stop sign and accelerating hard. I'd say do it, its by far the best thing I've added to my truck.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:35 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/locker-faq-43572/

i run lockrights front and rear and my 4runner is my only vehicle, so daily driven. you can run a lockright up front no prob if you have manual hubs or if you have defeated the ADD. put one in the rear first and then worry about the front later.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't even consider automatic lockers for my truck. Some people say they cant notice it, but I know they eat tires. Save up and get ARB's or E-locker. When I get to where its time to put lockers in, I'm going to do an E-locker rear, and detroit tru-trac front. I would go ARB up front, but I doubt I'll ever need it, and I don't want to put up with the Air compresor, and all the hoses and fittings and stuff that can go wrong.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:09 PM

nah...not that bad....I have a lockright in the back too, with an auto, and like geoff said, you can hardly notice it. I, however, would not personally put one up front. Not an auto anyway, because yeah, if you have manual hubs, you can undo it, but when the hubs are engaged, if youre on slick terrain, you will have NO steering ability. And from what I see, you have a 3rd gen, so no manual hubs, so pain in the butt, even if you dont have it in 4wd. I know its expensive, but Im planning on just saving the dough up and get a selectable for the front. My 2cents.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

I just put an Aussie in my fj40 and LOVE it. You barely even notice its there on the road and in parking lots its easy to get the hang of so you never get tire chirps. I had a lock rite for about 1 month before that and I hated it. That's why I tore it our and got the Aussie.

Which ever brand you go, I would definitely skip locking the front. I unlocked the front of my fj and could still do the same trails and rocks as with it locked.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JHupp
...a lot of jughandles, and U-Turns, etc.
Jug handles? Do you mean an Oklahoma bootlegger?
Old 01-29-2006, 05:54 AM

wow, thanks everyone, I checked the thread above. The vote seems to be 4 to 1 in favor of an automatic locker in just the rear. I think thats what I'm going to end up going with. Thanks guys, really appreciate the info.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Ebay has Aussie Lockers for $238 w/ free shipping. I'm thinking about picking one up myself. I have heard lots of good reviews on this one compaired to the lock rites.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
Ebay has Aussie Lockers for $238 w/ free shipping. I'm thinking about picking one up myself. I have heard lots of good reviews on this one compaired to the lock rites.
Eric, did some research on these and the website doesn't show an Aussie fitting our 3rd gens. It says rear 8", years 84-89. Is this the same? Here's a link to my research: http://www.aussielocker.com/make.php.../6b4a/99/.html
Old 01-29-2006, 09:49 AM

For the occasional off-roader, I would go with the Trutrac. They operate like an open diff until you get some wheel spin. Then it switches power to the tire that needs it the most, instead of giving power to the one that needs it the least. They are much better for going off-road than an open diff, and they work great in automatics. I love mine. Check it out if you have not already.
http://www.detroitlocker.com/DT.htm
Old 01-29-2006, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, I was looking for a true locker, The LSDs are nice, but I want something packs a bit more of a punch, just not on-road(my dillemma). I have heard many good things about the aussie locker for it's on-road capabilities as well as offroad. The one on e-bay I dont think will fit my Runner, but it is a great price. I'm going to do a bit more research, but I need one for Sunday the 12th for my paragon run, so I'll let you guys know what I get, and how I like it. I think a lot of people have the same question as I do about the whole daily driver issue, so this thread should be very helpful to someone in the future. Thanks for all of the info,
Jason
Old 01-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Eric, did some research on these and the website doesn't show an Aussie fitting our 3rd gens. It says rear 8", years 84-89. Is this the same? Here's a link to my research: http://www.aussielocker.com/make.php.../6b4a/99/.html
They don't make an aussie for 4 pinion 8" diffs yet...I really don't know much about 3rd gens but being that they're heavier, more powerful etc. I'd assume that they have 4 pinion "V6" 8" 3rds so no an aussie wouldn't work, however lockrite makes one. This is where I would get it from: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lockr...spagenameZWD1V
Old 01-29-2006, 10:24 AM

Yeah, I was just about to correct myself on the aussie locker, the lock rite or e z locker was going to be my second choice, and I have ehard they are almost identical. If I get it and don't like it, Ill put it up for sale on here. Also, what is the best fluid to use for the rear diff so I don't have to hear this thing ratcheting when I make tight turns?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by JHupp
Thanks for the suggestion, I was looking for a true locker, The LSDs are nice, but I want something packs a bit more of a punch, just not on-road(my dillemma). I have heard many good things about the aussie locker for it's on-road capabilities as well as offroad. The one on e-bay I dont think will fit my Runner, but it is a great price. I'm going to do a bit more research, but I need one for Sunday the 12th for my paragon run, so I'll let you guys know what I get, and how I like it. I think a lot of people have the same question as I do about the whole daily driver issue, so this thread should be very helpful to someone in the future. Thanks for all of the info,
Jason
I prefer lockers also. I just meant if you were considering leaving the front end open because of handling issues, the Truetrac is an awesome middle ground. The power transfers to the tire that is slipping (unlike an open diff), but it will handle like an open diff.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
jhupp,

custom cruiser is selling his elocker + everything else. 4.30 gearing. check the classifieds

bob
Old 01-29-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
jhupp,

custom cruiser is selling his elocker + everything else. 4.30 gearing. check the classifieds

bob
yeah I saw that, I know $500 plus shipping is a good deal for it, but the lockrights are only around the $200 range. I was pretty much looking for an auto locker,, and I do not think I could perform the e-locker installation. When it comes to bolts and nuts, I'm ok, any cutting or grinding, ehhh not so much, you should see how my valence came out, and my tires still rub. I was trying to keep this product cheap, automatic, and easy. Howver, if the auto lockers arent any good for what I want, I will fork over the extra cash, just trying not to if I dont have to.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bobakazi
I prefer lockers also. I just meant if you were considering leaving the front end open because of handling issues, the Truetrac is an awesome middle ground. The power transfers to the tire that is slipping (unlike an open diff), but it will handle like an open diff.
Ohhh yes, my bad, an LSD would probably be the best choice for up front, didnt even think about that. I'll look into that, for now, I'm just gonna do the back. But I like that idea a lot.

Quick Reply: Locker for Daily Driver