Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Locked Water Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locked Water Pump?

I have a '95 runner v6 runner and was wodnering if anyone else has had problems with the wtaer pump pulley lokcing up on them. Mine aparently did this today so I have a water pump change to make this weekend. Had to drive it onto a trailer with belts squeeking and all to get it home. Anyway, happened after some serious mudding but I thought since the water pump was water sealed, I didn't need to mod it to be able to be submerged... I guess I was wrong. Any tips on how t make this faster or easier would be appreciated, I ahven't looked ta it yet since it happned at ngiht and it was kinda cold for a texan to be working in plus it was dark and I was disgusted with new 4runner's collapse with a gril in the car to witness it's failure. I'm heading to bed now, will chack back several times ebfore the weekend with any comments on this. If its possible to just unlock it without rpelacing it, I'm not loaded so saving money would help me out alot(I'm a poor college kid that lives off of university grants and nothing else.) I'm gonna have to sell my tv to my firend for the money for this stupid water pump so any advice... please. And why is the frekaing altenator belt behind the other three? that is freskin stupid! They put the weakest belt behind the other 2 stupid belts. That should be a 5 minute job but instead, it would take an hour(i originally thought that was the problem because it stopped the center pully thus stopping my altenato belt form spinning.) Anyway, picks of my 4beast are on my site if anyone's curious. Adios and thansk in advance for any help.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:19 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/yota
Old 10-15-2004, 05:28 AM

I dont thinnk its your water pump. Your not gonna like this. It sounds like the fan pulley/bracket bearing is locked up. The water pump is turned by the timeing belt and is inside the front cover. The pulley you speak of is on a dummy shaft with a bearing. Engine still runs but the belts slide across this locked pulley/bearing. The new part costs around 600.00 bucks. You may can find a good one in a yard somewhere. Its a bracket that has the bearing and shaft affixed to it. I had this happen last year. I was on a trip. Had to have a dealer take care of it to the tune of 1100.00
Old 10-15-2004, 08:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unargueable facts needs a 10th statement!!! lol nice ride man.

The above poster is correct. The water pump is only controlled by the timing belt and is underneath everything (It's actually one of the timing belt idlers.) Sounds to me that either the alt or that fan bracket pulley is locked.

Assuming the pulleys that locked only has spaces for 2 belts, then that is the false waterpump/fan idler bracket, and ebay is your friend!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

89 bux!

Now if your water pump were really seized, then you'd drop 150 bux at least on a timing belt kit...

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 10-15-2004 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:35 AM

Thats terrible. looks like I'm gonna be without my ride for a while. Anyone need a 27" tv... Ha. gonna be about a week before I can come up with even the $90 its gonna cost for the part off ebay. You'r right, it is the pullew with 2 belts on it, which, if its not the water pump, what reason would it have to lock up? it seems like a loose pulley with no internals to lock up from the descriptions of it...
Thanks for the help and the ride compliment, it doesn't compare to most the stuff i see on this site though. Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:45 AM

to be clear, there will be no visit to the dealer. I will jerry rig this with a broken pully before I go the dealer... just gotta figure out the purpose said pulley, then I can think of ways to get around using it, if in fact, I cannot get the money for the part.

Last edited by Cebby; 10-16-2004 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Offensive language
Old 10-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by x-elite
to be clear, there will be no visit to the dealer. I will jerry rig this with a broken pully before I go the dealer... just gotta figure out the purpose said pulley, then I can think of ways to get around using it, if in fact, I cannot get the money for the part.
That pulley is there to power the fan, so I don't think you can get around using it, at least not without an electric fan swap. I guess the only good thing about it is it's a lot easier to change than a water pump.

Last edited by Cebby; 10-16-2004 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Offensive language in quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
That pulley is there to power the fan, so I don't think you can get around using it, at least not without an electric fan swap. I guess the only good thing about it is it's a lot easier to change than a water pump.
I've been looking at this part and it seems like it has a water intake valve as and a spit it back out. If you guys werne't elling em diffrent, I'd asusme it was the primary water pump. Is it secondary or juts a flow point the pump pushes water though? Also, if I can figure a different way to power the fan and just free up that pulley would it work? this si out of curioisty now, I alreayd foudnt he part $80 at a junk yard but its functions are sitll alittle bit hazy. On here I was otld the water pump is run by the timing belt but this pulley seems to have what resembles a water pump on the back.
Any clarification would help.
Thx.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok i just got done looking at my truck, that part on ebay, and my toyota factory service manual....

the only thing that im seeing is a portion that is attached to the PS pump.... I dont see anything else anywhere....

I think that it seized becase the bearings for the fan shaft siezed. Theoritically you could drive the truck w/o the fan as long as you didnt idle for too long and kept moving...however overheating could become a problem quickly.....