Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Little question about hard starting...

Old 03-22-2005, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Little question about hard starting...

Sorry if this sort of thing has been gone over before. I couldn't find quite what I was looking for through searching, so I hope I don't bother anyone.

Anyhow, in addition to my earlier electrical/ignition switch problems (I still have to hotwire the truck) I now have trouble getting it started when cold. What happens is I activate the starter (via wires) as it where, and crank and crank for some time without result. The engine turns over fine. Eventually I come to a point where it seems like the engine starts running for a second but promptly dies. This goes on for some time, with the engine coming to life only to stop again. Eventually it starts and runs roughly for a minute, but again dies. Finally it starts and stays running, but I usually have to keep the clutch down for the first minute or two or else it will die (I imagine the ECU adjusts the idle or something??). If I press on the accelerator too soon after start up the engine will cough, sputter, and try to die (sometimes suceeding). Sometimes, pressing on the gas will cause a sputter initially, but proceed to work normally. Once it's all warmed up everything works absolutely fine. There's a lot of white smoke on start up but it's always been that way and as far as I know it's normal (though my slightly older dodge doesn't do that...)

Anyhow, what should I be looking at here? I was thinking fuel filter, perhaps? Injectors? Nothing to do with my electrical problem, I'd imagine, seeing as this is only a recent (last 2 weeks) development. I'm not sure quite where to begin, but I'd like to have a good idea because I can't afford too much trial and error here. Only so much money to play with
Old 03-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds liek a fuel delivery problem, hows the timing? how clean is the fuel system? plugs, wires, cap, rotor, those need to be good too
Old 03-23-2005, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Try the fuel pump test jumper, sounds like the classic problem with the secondary winding in the circuit opening relay:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#FuelPump