Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

And the List of Mods continues

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
And the List of Mods continues

Starting a couple of more mods to my Gen 3 Flight 1 (96-98) I completed the center console "Cup" Mod" and will do a write up on it shortly as soon as work slows down! Bottom line on this project, it was not that difficult if you can find the parts at a wrecking yard. Most all of it is simple "plug and play" with stock parts, no drilling, no tapping holes but still needed some re-engineering. I replaced the center console, moved and remounted the switches into the shifter console. I didn't want to re-route the wires and switches into the drivers switch panel as I have plans for the factory switch openings (driving lights, electric fan mod operating switch, Offroad lights) so I cut out the mounts from the OEM console, cut new openings in the shifter console, trimmed and glued the old mounts in place so the switches just snap right in. Had to do some wire adjusting to get the switches to install properly but they are installed and operational.

Word of warning: Check where the switches go BEFORE you decide where you want to mount the old switches, there may not be space under the switch for it to fit. The ECT was a bugger! Nuff said!

Installing hood lifts. Was recommended by one of the other Yotatechies to use a pre-made set which would run around $70 plus shipping but I said what the heck, try to mod it myself. So far total cost has been under $10. Got a pair of lifts from a 1994 Toyota Land Crusier. It had flanges at both ends with holes. One is slightly angled and almost perfectly lines up with the hood angle of the outside support of the hood. There are two mounting nuts in the engine bay on the inside fenders in the same location on either side of the engine bay near the hinges so this is a nice solid place to start the mounting. I will most likely have to pop rivet the upper flanges to the hood. It is going to be interesting but most mods are!

Next up is a mod to the front side lights or are the called corners, yeah thats it, corners! I saw a mod that was done to Tacoma corners on another Toyota site (hey ideas can be found anywhere right?) but I'm going to do one that is a bit easier. The purpose of this mod is to utilize the corners to be turn signals as well as corner side lights. The original mod required you to change the socket. This involved the drilling out of the old socket and replacing it with an after market socket for an 1157 bulb. You need to get the orientation correct so the bulb is lined up for the filaments in the bulb to display correctly as well as the wiring involved. Once in the correct alignment you then secured the socket using silicone adhesive/sealant. As even the author mentioned, bulb replacement is going to be a pain and time consuming. I came up with a better solution. I obtained a pair of sockets from an 82-83 Honda Accord. These sockets use a 194 bulb and the sockets are rubber grommet inserts. I can use my OEM corners, simply drill out a well placed hole and just snap the sockets in place. wire them up to the signal lights in the bumper and I will have turn signals and side markers. Bulb changes will be simple and require nothing more then a phillips head screw driver! More to follow when I install them.

Driving lights. I have the driving lights out of a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am and they mounted really well to the radiator lower support and places them in almost perfect alignment in the lower valance where I cut two holes and are on either side of the license plate. Now I just need the wiring harness which I received but has gotten buried in my shop!

Speaking of lights I found a set of Hella 500's at Walmart for $65. Is this a good price on these? Need to figure the best mounting for these bad boys as they would make for a great addition.

Anyway, tell me your opinions and suggestions. I love seeing other mods, gives me more to add to my list

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 02-26-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing the cupholder mod over Christmas so I am excited about that. Though I will have to use the existing brake lever so I will have to drill. No biggie though. That is an interesting thought about the switches. I would love to see where you mounted them because I might go that route and save the holes existing holes for other things like you did. I had thought about switching to the 99-02 Dash Bezel because I mainly want the cigarette lighters. But I know I can do some other creative stuff for that.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:40 AM

I'll try to post some pics in the next day or two. If you have access to a wrecking yard, the brake lever is a really CHEAP part. also you need to get the center console mount bracket. Otherwise you have to drill new holes in the 99 console which really is not a good thing. Replacing the bracket allows you to use the OEM holes in the 99 console so it is sturdy. Cost, I got mine for like a $1. E-brake handle was $5. I did find the e-brake tub from the 2000 I got the stuff from but could not figure out how to get the cable sheath out so had to cut it but decided to just use my OEM tub. The cable hold down on the base of the e-brake drum rubs just a tiny bit, but not enough to worry about. The three switches were moved (ECT, rear window and Security indicator) and I had to determine where as the depth of each switch was different. I have seen the upper console mod (radio bezel) using the 99+ but you need to be sure to get the duct piece that goes behind the radio console and mod the switches as well. Maybe later but the cup holder is gr8. stay subscribed and I might be able to post to this thread tonight after I get home from basketball I referee High School ball. Be glad to help with any questions too

Oh forgot to add this about the 12vdc outlets, you can mount several in the lower side covers. I did one in my 95 also the rear 12vdc outlet could be used, insert and all. Been thinking of doing that as well. One other item I considered was just finding some sheet plastic and modding it and mounting a couple more outlets there as well. Good luck!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 12-18-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
I'll try to post some pics in the next day or two. If you have access to a wrecking yard, the brake lever is a really CHEAP part. also you need to get the center console mount bracket. Otherwise you have to drill new holes in the 99 console which really is not a good thing. Replacing the bracket allows you to use the OEM holes in the 99 console so it is sturdy. Cost, I got mine for like a $1. E-brake handle was $5. I did find the e-brake tub from the 2000 I got the stuff from but could not figure out how to get the cable sheath out so had to cut it but decided to just use my OEM tub. The cable hold down on the base of the e-brake drum rubs just a tiny bit, but not enough to worry about. The three switches were moved (ECT, rear window and Security indicator) and I had to determine where as the depth of each switch was different. I have seen the upper console mod (radio bezel) using the 99+ but you need to be sure to get the duct piece that goes behind the radio console and mod the switches as well. Maybe later but the cup holder is gr8. stay subscribed and I might be able to post to this thread tonight after I get home from basketball I referee High School ball. Be glad to help with any questions too

Oh forgot to add this about the 12vdc outlets, you can mount several in the lower side covers. I did one in my 95 also the rear 12vdc outlet could be used, insert and all. Been thinking of doing that as well. One other item I considered was just finding some sheet plastic and modding it and mounting a couple more outlets there as well. Good luck!
I had a bead on the e-brake lever and tub from the same supplier as the console but he wanted way too much money for it and I have Bob's write up memorized so I don't mind drilling and shifting things.

Also, that bracket you described that you got that allows you to use the 99 locations? Is that what Bob calls "silver mounting piece?" If so, its a matter of shifting the older piece back about an inch and a half by drilling it in the floor board, not the console. Not too bad.

I would definately like pics of the completed install. I don't have the alarm thing so that is less of a concern. The 99+ dash bezel has issues of it's own. The switches are not compatible with the newer bezel and it takes actually rewiring the 96-98 switches in conjunction with the new switches to get it all to work. Its a PITA. Yeah, it looks nice but whatever...Like you said, you can add them to the sides just north of the shifter area. Perfect for me.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:39 AM

So does the 99+ center console not have the places for switches? I only have to worry about my rear window and the alarm thingy. If not I might just keep my 98 console since I can add 2 more switches into it.

If you could take some pics or your console before you put it in that'd be awesome.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ritzy -you show a knack for adapting other vehicle parts to your needs-that is me that is recommending the hood lift for example. I had a feeling that someone could adapt another vehicles strut for that purpose-but I am not the guy who could do it. Kudos to you and your inventive and inquisitive nature.

I am following along on your "corner indicator lights to be used as turn signals" also and find that quite interesting and hope to see some photos on that as well.

and that inexpensive foglight idea-brilliant-pun intended
Old 12-20-2007, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
Ritzy -you show a knack for adapting other vehicle parts to your needs-that is me that is recommending the hood lift for example. I had a feeling that someone could adapt another vehicles strut for that purpose-but I am not the guy who could do it. Kudos to you and your inventive and inquisitive nature.
Thanks Ron! Yeah I couldn't remember who had recommended that one but I really did LIKE the idea and the kit did seem very simple to install. I try to find ways to shave some costs and it keeps my mind busy! I will be sure to update you and others on my progress. If the weather holds this weekend I may try to see what I can get done on all those little projects!

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
I am following along on your "corner indicator lights to be used as turn signals" also and find that quite interesting and hope to see some photos on that as well.
This is a fun idea but I just didn't like the idea of drilling out the OEM socket and then trying to re-engineer it so believe it or not, one of the wrecking yard guys recommended going to an indicator using 194 bulbs so I started looking at GM vehicles and noticed a couple of Mazda sedans, had pulled a set of bumper mounted turns and thought about cutting the socket out of them, then weld glueing then into the corners ... started thinking there has to be an EASIER way! Thats when I noticed the 83 Accord and remembered they had rubber mounted lights in the corners! ( had 3 of them in the mid 90's for my daughters to drive). Seemed way easier to do a mod to the corners using them. Anyway, more to follow. Thanks!