YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

lights on top

I want a place to put some lights on the top of a 96 4runner. I was thinking about maybe mounting them to a basket, but those are expensive. If it looks good and is practical, i can spare it though. i also wanna put a couple lights in the front, perhaps on a grille guard. Please post pictures of all your off roading/driving lights.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
swatman1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Contributing Member

heres a picture of how I did mine. The top bar is a KC HIGH LIGHTER bar I got from ebay $125 the front bar is a pro comp also ebay and $125. The lights I got from a place called SNAPPYLIGHTS on ebay he has complete kits with covers , lights , and wiring kits with relays. I just got the lights because at the time he did not have the kits these are 130 watt bulbs a light up real nice at night.

Click the image to open in full size.
5.29's Front And Rear
35 x 12.5 x 15 MT's Micky Thompson Classic II Wheels
Super Charged 3.4 on the way

1993 SAS 4runner 22re 5 speed
4" front 5"rear
5.29's
35 x 12.5 BFG KM'S
Dick cepek DC 1's

88 stock 4runner
3.0 auto
for now

Last edited by olharleyman; 03-18-2007 at 10:57 AM.
olharleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by olharleyman View Post
heres a picture of how I did mine. The top bar is a KC HIGH LIGHTER bar I got from ebay $125 the front bar is a pro comp also ebay and $125. The lights I got from a place called SNAPPYLIGHTS on ebay he has complete kits with covers , lights , and wiring kits with relays. I just got the lights because at the time he did not have the kits these are 130 watt bulbs a light up real nice at night.

Click the image to open in full size.
I bought one awhile back for my 87. Will it work on my 89 p/u? I think mine is a Grizzly product but not sure. The older models had the drip rail on the outside so I don't know if it will work. Did you drill a hole in your roof?

James
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
I bought one awhile back for my 87. Will it work on my 89 p/u? I think mine is a Grizzly product but not sure. The older models had the drip rail on the outside so I don't know if it will work. Did you drill a hole in your roof?

James
had to get a kit because I don't have drip rails from kc as well and yes I did drill into the roof ran the wires thru used shrink wrap then siliconed the shi* out of the wires and hole no water gets in very happy and just to make sure a week later I resiliconed for piece of mind
5.29's Front And Rear
35 x 12.5 x 15 MT's Micky Thompson Classic II Wheels
Super Charged 3.4 on the way

1993 SAS 4runner 22re 5 speed
4" front 5"rear
5.29's
35 x 12.5 BFG KM'S
Dick cepek DC 1's

88 stock 4runner
3.0 auto
for now

olharleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to YotaFun Send a message via Yahoo to YotaFun
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatman1331 View Post
I want a place to put some lights on the top of a 96 4runner. I was thinking about maybe mounting them to a basket, but those are expensive. If it looks good and is practical, i can spare it though. i also wanna put a couple lights in the front, perhaps on a grille guard. Please post pictures of all your off roading/driving lights.
I have been contemplating adding light son the roof as well.
(mini hijack coming...)
I had the idea of flipping the front roof rack Rail Around and mounting them there.
Anyone think this would look alright?

The Reigning Tess - 97' 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD Auto

My Life As Perfectly Described By Fireteacher:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireteacher View Post
MOM: "ever since you got it, the driveway is always muddy, your gone more, garage is a wreck and you keep doing work to it"

YOTAFUN: "why do you think i got it ma'. i love it and she loves me back. so what, from time to time she needs some TLC. She's my girl now and youll have to just understand"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19RUNNER86 View Post
good call stud. why do i feel gay saying that?
YotaFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

IMO, purchase a basket or something similar. Yeah, it's more expensive, but it gives your 4Runner a "cleaner" look. Instead of just adding lights to your existing OEM rack, add them to something else to make everything "flow" together. Not trying to knock what others have done, I just like the basket idea.

I did not purchase my rack and lights all at once...I'd be looking for a second job otherwise. I purchased everything over time and once I had all the parts needed, I then installed everything in one big bang.

Hopefully in the next 2wks, once I get all my pictures together, I'll be doing a thread showing my new rack, lights, etc. and you can see how it looks to give you a comparison.

My 4Runner Profile

Accessories: SS 7.1 Lift Kit, WabFab 1" BL, Modified & Color-matched TJM T-15, Stubb Sliders, FX/TSX HID Projector Retrofit, Tundra Brakes, Hilux Surf Field Monitor, TRD Ivan Stewart Wheels, Yoko Geolanders 265/75s, WeatherTechs, Pioneer HU, LED Tail Lights, JBL Speakers

Mods: Disabled DRLs, Disabled Keyless Entry Chirp, AndyMod 2.0, Fog Light Mod, Air Elbow Mod, Rear Diff Breather Mod

Last edited by Rock Slide; 03-19-2007 at 06:34 AM.
Rock Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #7

Basket's look alot better than a light bar to me.
usmarinerecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarinerecon View Post
Basket's look alot better than a light bar to me.
Amen.
I rather not have anything on the roof personally.

Low hang trees can bust things.

93 ZJ - Stockish (HP D60 Front, 14 Bolt Rear, 231/D300 Crawl Box...awaiting 40" tires)

Ballistic Crap Missile
ILikeMud.net
Mallcrawlin.com
SOTRA
Yota Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:05 AM   #9

[IMG][/IMG]
First off you have alot of options.
Personally I don't see the point in spending $119 + on just a light bar.
You can buy a rack for just a tad more. I have a surco rack on mine
I have three Yakima bars holding it. You can use different mounting as well though. I believe that the Yakima bars are the most versitle setup though.
I'm going to be removing the rack shortly to make or purchase a full length one.
I have alot of gear that stays in my 4runner so I decided the best way to mount my lights was on a rack so I could also use it for storing things that I don't need in the cab.
If I can help anymore let me know.
"The Black Death" (DD)1988 4Runner 22RE 5Spd,StreetRvHead,261c Crawler cam,hi-output alt,35" BFG MTs,Optima Red Top. SAW 25mm T Bars,4Crawler BJ spacers,Tuff country 3" add-a-leaves,4.88 gears.Need 7.5 4.88 gears/thirdmember! PM ME!!!
"The Silver Death"1987 4Runner SR5,22RE 5spd,4Crawler Short Throw Shifters T-cases and 5Spd,SAS,MC Dual cases,4.88s and detroits front and rear,Allpro Tripple-X transfer case mt w/drivetrain E-brake,TG rock sliders,3"susp,3"body.35" Maxxis Big Horn MTs
jagger_snitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement