lights on top - YotaTech Forums

Go Back   >

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

lights on top

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #1

lights on top

I want a place to put some lights on the top of a 96 4runner. I was thinking about maybe mounting them to a basket, but those are expensive. If it looks good and is practical, i can spare it though. i also wanna put a couple lights in the front, perhaps on a grille guard. Please post pictures of all your off roading/driving lights.
swatman1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
Contributing Member

heres a picture of how I did mine. The top bar is a KC HIGH LIGHTER bar I got from ebay $125 the front bar is a pro comp also ebay and $125. The lights I got from a place called SNAPPYLIGHTS on ebay he has complete kits with covers , lights , and wiring kits with relays. I just got the lights because at the time he did not have the kits these are 130 watt bulbs a light up real nice at night.

Last edited by olharleyman; 03-18-2007 at 11:57 AM.
olharleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by olharleyman View Post
heres a picture of how I did mine. The top bar is a KC HIGH LIGHTER bar I got from ebay $125 the front bar is a pro comp also ebay and $125. The lights I got from a place called SNAPPYLIGHTS on ebay he has complete kits with covers , lights , and wiring kits with relays. I just got the lights because at the time he did not have the kits these are 130 watt bulbs a light up real nice at night.

I bought one awhile back for my 87. Will it work on my 89 p/u? I think mine is a Grizzly product but not sure. The older models had the drip rail on the outside so I don't know if it will work. Did you drill a hole in your roof?

James
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
I bought one awhile back for my 87. Will it work on my 89 p/u? I think mine is a Grizzly product but not sure. The older models had the drip rail on the outside so I don't know if it will work. Did you drill a hole in your roof?

James
had to get a kit because I don't have drip rails from kc as well and yes I did drill into the roof ran the wires thru used shrink wrap then siliconed the shi* out of the wires and hole no water gets in very happy and just to make sure a week later I resiliconed for piece of mind
olharleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatman1331 View Post
I want a place to put some lights on the top of a 96 4runner. I was thinking about maybe mounting them to a basket, but those are expensive. If it looks good and is practical, i can spare it though. i also wanna put a couple lights in the front, perhaps on a grille guard. Please post pictures of all your off roading/driving lights.
I have been contemplating adding light son the roof as well.
(mini hijack coming...)
I had the idea of flipping the front roof rack Rail Around and mounting them there.
Anyone think this would look alright?
YotaFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
Contributing Member

IMO, purchase a basket or something similar. Yeah, it's more expensive, but it gives your 4Runner a "cleaner" look. Instead of just adding lights to your existing OEM rack, add them to something else to make everything "flow" together. Not trying to knock what others have done, I just like the basket idea.

I did not purchase my rack and lights all at once...I'd be looking for a second job otherwise. I purchased everything over time and once I had all the parts needed, I then installed everything in one big bang.

Hopefully in the next 2wks, once I get all my pictures together, I'll be doing a thread showing my new rack, lights, etc. and you can see how it looks to give you a comparison.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 03-19-2007 at 07:34 AM.
Rock Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #7

Basket's look alot better than a light bar to me.
usmarinerecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarinerecon View Post
Basket's look alot better than a light bar to me.
Amen.
I rather not have anything on the roof personally.

Low hang trees can bust things.
Yota Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:05 AM   #9

[IMG][/IMG]
First off you have alot of options.
Personally I don't see the point in spending $119 + on just a light bar.
You can buy a rack for just a tad more. I have a surco rack on mine
I have three Yakima bars holding it. You can use different mounting as well though. I believe that the Yakima bars are the most versitle setup though.
I'm going to be removing the rack shortly to make or purchase a full length one.
I have alot of gear that stays in my 4runner so I decided the best way to mount my lights was on a rack so I could also use it for storing things that I don't need in the cab.
If I can help anymore let me know.
jagger_snitt is offline   Reply With Quote