Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

lift without jeopordizing cv's

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lift without jeopordizing cv's

How much lift is recomended without seriously jeopordizing the cv angles? I plan on just using spacers from cornfed. I didn't plan on going over 2.5 but I was told this will max out the cv angles. I don't want to max them out.

97 runner ltd. Stock
98 taco. Rear Diff Mod, custom rims w/ 31 BFG AT's.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:47 PM

i dont know from experience...........but ive read that the 3 inch revtek kit splits the spacers on the front struts so you dont bottom out or wreck your cv joints either.

i don't know if anyones got experience with this lift but when i can afford to do my taco im probably gonna get this one. it seems to be the least stressful on the front suspension.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:52 PM
CTB

You could also get a front diff drop kit from Cornbred which will be a big help to your CV angles. I think most guys that go higher than about 1.5" in the front put on the diff drop kit. Try a search on here, or check out Steve S's website...it will answer any question you have.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:57 PM

I have been over the past year or so running a four inch Tuff Country EZ Ride lift sitting on thirtyfive inch TXR tires. I have had zero issues with my CVs or any part for that matter. Good luck with whatever you go with, lifted 4runners rock!
Old 09-09-2003, 03:42 PM

I'm running cornfed 1.5" spacers, Revtek top out spacer, rear 2.5" cornfed spacers, the diff drop kit, and the panhard drop bracket. With just about any amount of lift you need to get the diff drop kit, unless your lift is 1" or less, just to be on the safe side.

Chris
Old 09-09-2003, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Depending on the type of lift, the most you want to do is a 2 - 2.5" suspension lift.

Add a combination of diff drops and you'll be able to squeeze in abit more.

Not all applications are the same so the best bet is to look at your cv's and go accordly

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2003, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

This is the number one reason why I am hesitant to do a lift on my Runner...I believe that any IFS lift will prematuraly wear out the CV's - less lift- less time to break but break they will..- heck the CV's are going to wear out eventually even at Stock angles! why speed up the process. BUT there is a solution-I'm just not sure if they make em for Runners yet or not.

http://www.drivetechnologies.com/index.html

The videos are to sic!
Old 09-09-2003, 05:06 PM

Awesome stuff. That sould really allow for some long travel IFS stuff in the future. I'm sure they cheap!

Chris
Old 09-09-2003, 05:09 PM

So do a body lift if your so worried about the CVs but my Runner is driving proof that you can lift a Runner four inches and have no problem. It sounds as if someone has really spooked you into not doing a susp. lift with the scare tactic that your CV axles will explode that the planet will stop turning. Ok that last part was a joke but seriously dont be scared.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Your probably right Blue....I shouldent worry about it - but being my business and play truck any mod that even has the chance of bringing on a break makes me nervous (down time) not interested in a body lift.

Ya know come to think of it i'm sure getting a extra set of CV shafts woulden't be that much (anyone know how much?)
thanks for takin' a load off..!
Old 09-09-2003, 05:53 PM

Check ou the mecatech CV boots! They are supposed to be a lot stronger!

Chris
Old 09-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Pitch fork,

Let's try to get together this weekend. My front is lifted just over 2" I have a drop diff kit and my CVs are almost flat, just like stock. And as Schaefer says "you only need 2" of lift to wheel".
Old 09-09-2003, 06:35 PM

Stoopid newbie i am. Disregard anything I say.

I ran 3" CB spacers for 50k miles with no problems. I broke one CV boot in that time but that was due to a stick tearing the hell out of it. I had no diff drop and the fins on my cv boots were not touching at all. It should also be said that CB spacers on TRD coils will ride pretty stiff... but tolerable. I recently went to OME 882 coils with the N91S shocks... much better ride but I'm still waiting for them to settle some. Pretty much anything over 3" is not reccomended... 3" with the diff drop (now included with the CB kit and the Revtek kit) and you'll be fine.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Nobody
This is the number one reason why I am hesitant to do a lift on my Runner...I believe that any IFS lift will prematuraly wear out the CV's - less lift- less time to break but break they will..- heck the CV's are going to wear out eventually even at Stock angles! why speed up the process. BUT there is a solution-I'm just not sure if they make em for Runners yet or not.

http://www.drivetechnologies.com/index.html

The videos are to sic!
just install the ORS Manual Hub Conversion at the same time you add the lift and you won't have to worry about anything.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
Check ou the mecatech CV boots! They are supposed to be a lot stronger!

Chris
and some chump named keisur will be installing them on Friday and hopefully have a write-up next week to make everybody feeling a little warm and fuzzy so they can order a set from Mike at Xtreme.

ravencr, not just stronger but the fins won't touch and the boot as a whole doesn't sit so scrunched up on the shaft which is what has caused them to blow on both inboards of mine. plus they are more rubbery than the oem ones so they are more pliable and shouldn't be as brittle.

Last edited by keisur; 09-09-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

just install the ORS Manual Hub Conversion at the same time you add the lift and you won't have to worry about anything.

I like my shift on fly to much...!

I think Blue talked me into my idea... -- now all I have to do is order a set of SAW's and a few spare parts...I have already changed a outer CV boot- so changing a compleate shaft is definatly doable on the trail.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

You still have shift on the fly with the hubs locked in while wheelin'. It's really the best of both worlds.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blue has a 2nd Gen runner whose lift height has absolutely no bearing on what you can do on a new, 3rd Gen truck. Getting 4" would require a kit that you cannot get that lowers the diff and leaves the CV's at stock angles.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

You lost me adrian...
Getting 4" would require a kit that you cannot get
Why can't you get one?

Is'nt this a 4" diff drop 3rd Gen 4" Lift ?
Old 09-10-2003, 05:34 AM

Thanks Keisur! I knew you were installing your from reading your recent thread. I can't wait to see the final product in action on the trail doing some crazy stuff.

Chris

Quick Reply: lift without jeopordizing cv's