Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lift Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift Question

Any help is appreciated. I have a 3" revtek suspension lift and just recently put 33's on my truck I'm wondering if anyone knows of any lift or leveling kit I could add to the front with my revtek to give me a little more clearance in the front without getting new A arms. Any thoughts?
Old 02-17-2011, 07:41 PM

My brother in law had the same issue with his tacoma and the revtec lift and he bought a fabtech lift just for the front with the adjustable shocks but left his rear lift revtec I wonder if you could just buy the adjustable fabtech shocks or another brand of adjustable shocks and if they'd work with the revtec lift. Then you could just crank em up a little. May be a stupid idea but it never hurts to throw it out maybe someone can confirm if it's retarded or if it'll work.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You're pretty much maxed out on suspension lift. The best thing to do is trim the fenders, or add a 1" body lift.

Yeah, you could go with a 5"-6" drop bracket lift, but its a ton of work and not worth it in the end.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:43 AM

I've never liked body lifts but maybe a 1" wouldnt be bad can you still see through the truck with a 1" like all the other body lifts? does anyone know a price or difficulty to install this lift?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

A 1" body lift runs about $120. They are as simple as loosening all the body mount bolts, jacking the body up off the frame (wood and a floorjack), and sliding the body lift spacers in. I've run a 2" BL on my 4runner and there was no real body gaps, not sure on a Tacoma. Seems like most Tacoma's run them though with 33's or bigger. (search here for body lift install)

Have you tried simply cutting the fender just right at the corners? You can also just pound the pinch weld right where the fender intersects the firewall area. (Search here).

Most guys buy from 4crawler.com a body lift, but wabfab and toytech all sell bodylifts. Youre going to want and get a steering spacer as well (easy, 2 bolts), and possibly a bumper relocation bracket ($5) They usualyl all come standard with the body lift kit.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-02-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 PM

I did a little searching and it was saying you need a hydraulic lift is this true? And I didn't really find any 1" BL's but I would like to be able to put just a 1" in the front if possible any opinions?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Well the front on your revtec is spacers and I don't know if you can stack them. What I would do is ask a les Schwab mechanic they'd know for sure. Think you'll get mixed responses on here about this. And not to bash anybody but I'm totally against body lifts. They are like adding wheel spacers. They just put leverage on other parts and look horrible. One inch wouldn't be bad but it's a personal preference issue.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:51 PM

I agree I don't like body lifts but I think a 1" just up front wouldn't be noticeable if that's even possible? Which kinda sounds like my only option shy of getting new A arms
Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 PM

Yeah shoot I'm not sure. I don't know if this is right but youd think that's either gonna make your cab look slanted slightly or put pressure on your mounts in the back of the cab.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
use a BFH on the fender?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:31 PM

What's a BFH? And I think I'm going to get fiberglass flared fenders. Ya I did wonder if putting just a 1" BL in the front would put to much pressure or torque on the back ones
Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 PM

a big freaking hammer. if you wanna drop a thousand bucks on fiberglass fenders be my guest! or you could just take a big hammer, find where its rubbing, and beat the piss out of it. or if you want to you can always them

EDIT: pleease dont put a body lift on the front, not only would that probably cause breakage, but it would look kinda silly with the cab tilted back

Last edited by dropzone; 02-18-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:55 AM

ya thats what i was wondering with the 1" just up front and by no means was i about to jump into that yet. i think i will pound the firewall a little but i still want to get the 6" rise 6" bulge fiberglass fenders ive seen em for $300 sometimes $350 but its lookin like for now fenders is my only option without having the money for new A arms. In the mean time ill use a hammer
Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 AM

i didnt know you could get the fiberglass fenders that cheap.you can use a hammer or also think about getting wheels with less backspacing
Old 02-19-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you look in side the back fender wells, where the bed and frame meet (that's where people see the "gap" left by a body lift) theres a piece of rubber there called a gap guard i believe, well whenever you get a body lift...a good company will supply you with new gap guards that are usually a couple of inches longer (depends on the amount of body lift) and you just replace them....no more gap.

you'll be surprised how much a 1" body lift is NOT noticeable.

i'm with everybody else though, grab a hammer and start pounding a little...or grab a sawsall and start cuttin
Old 02-19-2011, 08:48 AM

ya thats not really an option since i just bought these rims and they gave me the backspacing i need. i just want a little more clearance so probably hammer for now then fenders when i get cash
Old 02-19-2011, 08:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if they gave you "the backspacing you need" and your tires are rubbing...then they didn't give you the right ones IMHO rofl.

by the look of your pic you might could get away with a little more backspacing..maybe..possibly...kinda hard to tell
Old 02-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

The whole point of the forum is to bounce ideas back from each other, to learn what worked for people, and what didn't, and not spend a cent.

People can talk all they want about how bad body lifts are, but they aren't. Obviously, if you can avoid doing one, then that is the best because its less work, and yes it keeps your COG down... A 1" body lift won't cause your truck to behave much different. It doesn't add a considerable amount of leverage on your body mounts either.

I know for a fact a lot of guys who offroad with non custom trucks use body lifts. Its hard to get around it. Guys who have the time and $$ to build trucks from scratch obviously wouldnt use them because they design not to, like competition rock crawlers and other offroad trucks.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:21 AM

i have no problem whatsoever with a body lift, in fact ill be getting one to clear 35's. but he wants to put a body lift ONLY on the FRONT of his trucks cab.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:37 AM

That's all I'm doing too is throwing my opinion out there and it may not be right or wrong and I suggest people pick and choose the advice they here I just speak from my own experience and what I've learned from other people. No harm intended.

Quick Reply: Lift Question