Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lift options.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift options.

Hi, does anyone know of any lift kits that are like 5 or 6 inches for a 97 4Runner? I just cannot find anything. Ive seen ToyTechs stuff and Sonoran Steels stuff. But thats bout it. I would like to to a SAS. Does anyone make a kit or am I gonna be fabbing everything up to do that? And can I find options for the rear if I do that? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:31 AM

I should just tell ya to search, but I'm feeling nice.

If you stay ifs, the most you can get is pro-comp or fabtech bracket lift for a Tacoma (4" lift). As for the rear, you'd have land cruiser coils for about 3.5 of lift. For more than that you'd have to go with leafs, or custom fabbed coilovers. As far as SAS kits, the only one I can think of is the one by offroad solutions (they're going out of business or already have). You still have to weld and all, but most of the parts are already fabbed up. Any time you want to do SAS, you're gonna be doing fab work. No gettin around it.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:02 PM

i know id have to weld and all but i was just wondering if they had a kit with like brackets and leafs and all. or if id be making my own brackets and mounts for all the stuff. idk if i want to do that. for now anyway.

as for the procomp lift, it comes with leafs right? so could i just weld up some tacoma brackets to my frame and use the whole lift?
Old 12-14-2008, 12:04 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
You still have till the 18th if you wanna get something from ORS...
And most of there stuff is on crazy clearance..
Just a heads up..

Old 12-14-2008, 12:14 PM

does anyone have a writeup on like a 3-4 inch leaf spring lift for the rear? that would be mainly adding mount points and attaching the leafs to the frame and axle right? id love to have a leaf spring setup in the back. make it like my old truck. id like to be able to run a 33x12.50 or equivalent with no rubbing and plenty of room to flex offroad. preferably with no body lift. any ideas?

btw, i have searched this a lot. total of like 10 hours probably. when im bored i try to find stuff for my 4runner. i just cant find anything about lifting it other than the SS kit. i dont like those cause i like mine to sit with the nose slightly high. i cant stand the front sitting low. makes me want to
Old 12-14-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by B. Graves
i know id have to weld and all but i was just wondering if they had a kit with like brackets and leafs and all. or if id be making my own brackets and mounts for all the stuff. idk if i want to do that. for now anyway.

as for the procomp lift, it comes with leafs right? so could i just weld up some tacoma brackets to my frame and use the whole lift?
I'm not sure if the taco springs would be well suited for the runner or not. I also don't know exactly what the rear kits includes. Blue Torch fab, ORS, and many others have brackets for leafs. I'm thinking you have to move the axle back when you put leafs on the rear. Mossyrocks moved his back a few inches, but I'm not sure if it was necessary or if he just did it to do it. If that is the case, then you'd have to get a longer drive shaft also.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:54 PM

ok, ive found a setup that would be ok. here it is

OME 883/891 with a ToyTac top plate spacer
OME N91S front shocks
OME N86 rear shocks
ToyTec front diff drop kit (if needed)
SS Panhard bar (if needed)

Would I need the diff drop and the adjustable panhard bar? Im guessing that I would. Or at least Im asuming that theyd be a good idea.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by B. Graves
ok, ive found a setup that would be ok. here it is

OME 883/891 with a ToyTac top plate spacer
OME N91S front shocks
OME N86 rear shocks
ToyTec front diff drop kit (if needed)
SS Panhard bar (if needed)

Would I need the diff drop and the adjustable panhard bar? Im guessing that I would. Or at least Im asuming that theyd be a good idea.
You would need both the diff drop and panhard bar or panhard drop bracket.

I clicked over to toytec real quick and the 883's are recommended for vehicles with over 100lbs extra weight in the front. I'm thinkin that those could raise your truck up pretty high since it's stock and put too much stress on the cv's.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:02 PM

would the medium springs be ok? i want to add a winch and bumper cause i go by myself sometimes or with someone and we just take one truck. so a winch would be kinda nice. just in case. it might take a while to wait for someone if i ever got stuck. they sell a medium/medium OME setup. i have a ton of crap in the back so it needs strong springs back there. i like the front higher anyway. i dont want to cause problems with the driveline though.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SA on a third gen is an incredible amount of work. Here are links to Sonoran Steels conversion. Just read through the parts list to get an idea of how much stuff you have to re-engineer.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/SA_Parts.html
http://www.sonoransteel.com/Dana44/index.htm
http://www.sonoransteel.com/Custom_Steering_Shafts.html

Also, on the OME springs, don't assume that a spring made for heavier weights will necessarily give you more lift. These are not products I know much about so I'm not saying it won't work, just that you should get the info directly from the vendor whether those springs will lift more or just be stiffer.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think taco leafs would be a good combo for a 4runner. You can also go with cruiser coils, and i dare say it a spacer to achieve the lift you want.

If your trying to fit larger than 35's i suggest swaping it, the ifs will handle above it, but it won't like it. If your trying to fir 35's i would suggest just 2.5-3" lift up front and then cruiser coils in the rear and start chopping and tubing the firewall to fit them.

If your wanting to sas, go ahead and sas it if you have the funds. leafs are going to be a lot cheaper compared to coilovers. Like said above ORS is going out of business (hopefully temporarily), but they have a good coilover kit you can get for your 4runner.