Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lift height clarification

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift height clarification

Hello,
Just as the title states, I was hoping someone could help me clarify approximately how much lift I could expect from either tundra coils with no spacers or 881's with no spacers up front, and 906's for the rear. From what I understand, this should provide around 2" lift over stock height. This would be perfect for me, but wouldn't that height vary depending on what year your stock runner is? So if I have a 99 sr5 runner (not sure if I have the "long" springs or not) with the "long" springs, then how much lift can I expect with the above stated set up. If I don't have the "long" springs, then can I assume to get the 2" of lift then? Sorry for the confusion on my part, and thanks for the help in advance.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:16 PM

no matter what year 4runner you have, if you swap the springs with aftermarket ones, it will be the amount specified. You are taking the year and height factor out of the equation once the stock springs are removed. If you are using spacers, that is a different story. Please use the search function before posting a question though, there is enough threads about this already to give you a headache....trust me, I know.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the response. I have been searching, I rarely post unless I am really confused. I guess I should have phrased my question differently. I am wondering how much net lift I can expect from swapping my original 99 sr5 springs with new tundra/881 springs? I guess alot of my question depends on how high I am sitting now with my stock springs. I saw the other post about a month ago with the 906's in the rear and how high they sat with those springs and 881's up front, but they all seemed to have too many variables to really calculate the gains that I would see with my own car. I guess I'll just have to use those numbers to estimate the net gain that I will realize. (I think I just answered my own question? Thanks anyway.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by shiftMX
no matter what year 4runner you have, if you swap the springs with aftermarket ones, it will be the amount specified. You are taking the year and height factor out of the equation once the stock springs are removed. If you are using spacers, that is a different story. Please use the search function before posting a question though, there is enough threads about this already to give you a headache....trust me, I know.
Not entirely true. 4Runners sit at various heights throughout 1996-2002 as you well may know. Some 99's (all highlander edition) and I believe some 2000's sit about 1" higher than the 96-98 4Runners. 01-02 4Runners sit about 1" lower than 96-98 4Runners. Therefor there are 3 different heights throughout the 3rd generation of 4Runners meaning. That someone with a 1996 may see about 2" from a 3" suspension lift, while someone with a 2002 would most likely see close to the full 3". Both 4Runner should sit about the same height if all suspension components and tires are equal sizes, but the actual lift gained from the springs will be different.

So before you go and tell someone to use the search function, maybe you should mess around with it yourself.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:26 PM

I'm backing TRD_4runnin11 on this one...If you have a 99 with normal springs you will see 2" of lift. If you have a 99 with tall springs you will only see 1" of lift out of a 2" lift application. If you have a 2000ish 4runner you will see 3" of lift with a 2" lift application. From my research I think the plain tundras are about 2" lift, the OME 881's are about 1.25-1.5" settled, and the 906's are about 1.75" settled. hope that helps
Old 01-17-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 2000 4runner I got 1.75" out of TRDs only, no spacer or trim packer.

Other info: OME Info: "I am giving you the approximate lift heights, your exact amount of lift will vary slightly depending on the condition of your current springs. The front heights are respectively: 880=1.25", 881=1.75" & 882=2.25" and the rears are: 906=2.0", 890=2.75" & 891=3.0" . The 882's are not an ARB/ OME recommended fit, but our experience has shown that they work well with some applications. " (info given from 4X4 Connection)
Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 PM

if you have the 99 do the revtek block lift, it will lift it exactly that much more cause it uses the oem springs..... it will work till you want to go with tons of flex.........
Old 01-18-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by trd_4runnin11
Not entirely true. 4Runners sit at various heights throughout 1996-2002 as you well may know. Some 99's (all highlander edition) and I believe some 2000's sit about 1" higher than the 96-98 4Runners. 01-02 4Runners sit about 1" lower than 96-98 4Runners. Therefor there are 3 different heights throughout the 3rd generation of 4Runners meaning. That someone with a 1996 may see about 2" from a 3" suspension lift, while someone with a 2002 would most likely see close to the full 3". Both 4Runner should sit about the same height if all suspension components and tires are equal sizes, but the actual lift gained from the springs will be different.

So before you go and tell someone to use the search function, maybe you should mess around with it yourself.

Maybe my post was misunderstood...when searching and you do not understand how these numbers work, do not go buy the inches of lift, but what people are getting...ex: fender to ground measurements. that is what i meant would all be the same (of course having same size tire, etc.) So if Joe got "X" inches of lift fender to ground on his 3rd gen, then all 3rd gens should see the same amount +/- 1/4". So because Joe put "Z" brand spring on his runner and it is a 99, doesnt mean John with the '01 runner will see one inch less of measurement. There are tons of these measurements on this board about this stuff if it is just searched for. I am not sure how much more I could say to make anyone confused understand it.

Advising someone to search from me is not a putdown, but actually encouragement. I was simply advising the poster to search a little more for these answers as they have been covered countless times. Before I jump the gun here, from the looks of it, you post all of your mods in your sig...if this is the case, why would you respond to a question you have no experience with personally? While I am not the foremost authority on 4runners, I have been on these boards almost daily and reading as much info as I can for about the past 5 years. Getting info from guys like Steve Scheaffer, Brian of Wabfab, and a bunch of other great guys who have countless experiences in this stuff. I use the search alot more than I post, which is why I dont have very many. Maybe you should do the same? From all of the info I gathered, I have been through 3 different suspensions I installed myself along with a ton of other mods. So I mostly do know what I am talking about or else I wouldn't have responded. I am probably taking your post wrong also and should even respond to you, but it has been a rough week and I cant help it.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM

Looks like this "clarification" thread turned into confusion, sorry. TRD and Yota Runner understood my question though. That is exactly what I was wondering, how much net lift my 99 runner would see with those springs as compared to other year runners. But "Shift's" post was also helpful in helping me realize that I could do the math on my own by just looking at everyone elses final ride height and subtracting my current ride height from that number. I guess rather than trying to find how much I would gain on my current height, I should be tring to find the average height that every runner sits at with their new springs (along with how they are measuring their heights). Thanks to everyone, all posts were useful in claryfying my confusion.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:22 AM

Shift knew what he was talking about I just don't think it came out as clearly as he hoped. Yes the end ride height is the same but the net from what you started with is different.

I would contact some of the people that offer those kits and ask them what that lift number is based off of. Then it should be easy after that. Good luck. I had been thinking about this exact same thing the other day but was too lazy to care at the time.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by wailukutoy
Looks like this "clarification" thread turned into confusion, sorry. TRD and Yota Runner understood my question though. That is exactly what I was wondering, how much net lift my 99 runner would see with those springs as compared to other year runners. But "Shift's" post was also helpful in helping me realize that I could do the math on my own by just looking at everyone elses final ride height and subtracting my current ride height from that number. I guess rather than trying to find how much I would gain on my current height, I should be tring to find the average height that every runner sits at with their new springs (along with how they are measuring their heights). Thanks to everyone, all posts were useful in claryfying my confusion.
I understood your question, I was just referring to use a different method to find your lift height than the way you were going. To be honest, when I first started looking at lifting my 4runner, I had the same confusion. Sorry if my response was a little confusing. From what you are looking to do, I personally had the PP springs, taller 99 springs, OME's and back to taller99 springs again. From what it sounds like you are interested in, I would go with the 881 in the front and the 906 in the rear. On my truck, the 906 sat at 36.5 in the rear (fender to ground) with 265/75-16. The 881's should be at about 36 to 36.25 in the front. There is a member here named Jamie, I think he is MTL_4runner. Try to find his truck profile in the 3rd gen community threads, he has that same set up and I think his measurements also. It should give you a good start to figure out what you want. If you have an questions, feel free to PM me, I am always willing to help
Old 01-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

Don't know if this will help you any, but here are my lift measurements after I installed the SS 7.1 lift kit on my '02 Sport. These are ground to fender measurements:

Front - Gained 2.5" with Tundra TRD 4WD Front Coils & Top Out Spacers

Rear - Gained 3" with the addition of OME 890 Coils
Old 01-18-2008, 03:20 PM

Thanks again, I just wanted to know because I was debating between 881's or tundra coils w/o spacers in front. With your post as well as others, I realize that the 881s sit at around 36 -36.5 up front(which is a slight variance in numbers) but could not find the exact height for a runner with tundra coils w/o spacers. Someone posted what they estimate the coils to sit at, but I just was looking for a concrete number from someone with experience. Thanks again
Old 01-18-2008, 05:49 PM

ShiftMX, I see what you are saying now and yes, any 4runner with "X" springs will have the same ground to fender measurement, or ground clearance, if you will. It was to my understanding that he was looking to see how much actual lift he would gain, not what would be his ground clearance. My post probably came out a little harsher than I meant it also. I do not have a lot of experience in 4Runner suspensions, or any for that matter, but have been reading for the past 8 months since I bought my 4Runner and researching. I too search on this site more than I post which is how I found out about all the different stock ride heights of the 4Runners. While I do not have a lot of experience installing lifts, I have researched enough, with intent to buy in the future, to have a decent idea what I am talking about. Your post is correct in what you meant to say, as is mine in what I meant to say. Again sorry I sounded like a dick, I just get tired of people telling people to search instead of just taking the time to help out, but I know this was not the case with your post. We were all new once.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:56 PM

Old 01-18-2008, 07:21 PM

Spacers on old sagging springs are just band aids. Spend the money and get the springs.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by trd_4runnin11
ShiftMX, I see what you are saying now and yes, any 4runner with "X" springs will have the same ground to fender measurement, or ground clearance, if you will. It was to my understanding that he was looking to see how much actual lift he would gain, not what would be his ground clearance. My post probably came out a little harsher than I meant it also. I do not have a lot of experience in 4Runner suspensions, or any for that matter, but have been reading for the past 8 months since I bought my 4Runner and researching. I too search on this site more than I post which is how I found out about all the different stock ride heights of the 4Runners. While I do not have a lot of experience installing lifts, I have researched enough, with intent to buy in the future, to have a decent idea what I am talking about. Your post is correct in what you meant to say, as is mine in what I meant to say. Again sorry I sounded like a dick, I just get tired of people telling people to search instead of just taking the time to help out, but I know this was not the case with your post. We were all new once.
Just a misunderstanding, all is well I agree with what you say about people just writing off threads and telling people to search, I didn't want to do that to him so I did answer his question...although I probably should have been a little more clear. I encourage everyone to search because the answers someone is looking for is already here (the majority of the time) and the best thing is they dont have to wait for someone to respond.