See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

Lifetime fuel filter......Haha ya right

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifetime fuel filter......Haha ya right

Well I got around to changing my fuel filter today. The parts manager at the dealership argued w/ me about it when I tried to buy one. He insisted it was a lifetime filter! Yea right! I pulled it apart, the filter element was completely black. I think this was the original filter.....about 75,000 miles on it. After seeing that I'll be changing it every 20k. Lifetime filter....geez.....until your fuel pump takes a dump, then its not lifetime anymore...
Old 02-16-2007, 10:01 AM

If they were lifetime, I dont think every parts store wouldn't ahve them in stock. I just do the NAPA gold for like 20 bucks every so offten. Cheap insurance for the pump!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
lol mines got 145k miles on it last two trucks i had they both had 167k on them
Old 02-16-2007, 10:28 AM

I do not get it??

Originally Posted by frodin1
If they were lifetime, I dont think every parts store wouldn't ahve them in stock. I just do the NAPA gold for like 20 bucks every so offten. Cheap insurance for the pump!
1 - Isn't the pump in the tank and the filter comes after the pump??

2 - Just because the filter media is dirty, does that mean that the flow is necessarily impeded through the filter and the fuel flow/pressure is below spec at the rail?

George
Old 02-16-2007, 10:33 AM

If its struggling to push though I'm sure it's hard on it. Just like any other pump I suppose. If it has restrictions either before or after its not good.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on the older trucks 94 etc.. there is 2 filters. the one inline filter that is on the frame rail and the one on the inlet to the fuel pump.
this first intank filter looks like a small silk bag. very fine and clogs very easy. i would recommend if you are going to replace the inline filter i could drive the truck around and get the tank close to empty and drop it down a bit (or take it out) then remove the fuel pump and replace this intank filter because if your inline filter was bad this one will probably be so clogged that when you take the pump out it will hold in the fuel and not drain.
alot of work but worth it. make sure the batt is disconnected. good luck
make sure the truck has the intank filter first but i dont think they would change their fuel set up.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:46 AM

Yeah, the stealership tried to tell me the same thing. But they didnt dissagree with me when I handed them cash for the new one.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:04 AM

I tend to not believe things that dealerships tell me.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:24 AM

Is there a how-to on changing the fuel filter on this site? Just curious to read about any possible PITA scenarios. I have a new filter sitting in the garage I need to change.

I've got a new trans filter I need to change too, I've decided that no matter I am going to run the Toyota Trans fluid, it's a little more expensive, but with the money I'm saving doing it myself I'm not too concerned.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:40 AM

Given that toyota calls it lifetime...

Ii would still like to see some evidence that some dirt/discoloration in the filter means that it is no longer 'good' and that it may reduce the life of the fuel pump.

Would the test be fuel pressure a the engine?

George
Old 02-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Is there a how-to on changing the fuel filter on this site?
Bob, did a great job on this a while back:
http://www.4runners.org/articles/fuelfilter/
Old 02-16-2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Bob, did a great job on this a while back:
http://www.4runners.org/articles/fuelfilter/
Thanks!
Old 02-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gpcollen1
Yes, but the problem would be getting the pressure reading at highway speed or under full load conditions. Just because the filter paper is black doesn't mean it won't flow properly any more than a dirty looking air filter might still flow fine too. It's just a part of basic maintenance on a vehicle and you change it at an interval you feel comfortable with (my service interval on a fuel filter is not the "lifetime" of the vehicle however).
Old 02-16-2007, 12:07 PM

I changed mine at 100k but still question why. Dont we look to the manufacturer for maintenance intervals all the time - so why not believe toyota here?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 PM

I changed mine at 100k but still question why. Dont we look to the manufacturer for maintenance intervals all the time - so why not believe toyota here?
What is "lifetime" though? 100k miles? 200k miles?

Why does Toyota's maint chart from the owner's circle have an oil change listed every 2500 miles? I guess it can't hurt to change it, fuel stations have dirty tanks and crap comes off the inside of the fuel tank well so it's reasonable that the fuel filter will need changing at some point.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

The actual reason for proclaiming it was a lifetime filter was due to issues with getting the fittings to come off when dealers used to still change the filters. I can tell you for a fact that, no, the filter is DEFINATELY not a lifetime part no matter what Toyota says. Sometimes there are other reasons for manufacturer recommendations and it's not always what you'd think.

This article sums it up well:
"The following story has become folklore in repair circles. It is about the Toyota lifetime fuel filter. It was almost 10 years ago when Toyota proclaimed its fuel filter never needs replacement. How could that be, since it was an external metal can? Seems as if the warranty claims on some makes were very high as the lower nut was overtightened at the factory and a new metal line from the tank to the underhood filter was commonly damaged. Since then the filter has been a hands-off item. Makes one wonder."

Even Gadget has chimed in on the same subject only to confirm the same thing I am saying now.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-16-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:20 PM

Given that toyota calls it lifetime...

Ii would still like to see some evidence that some dirt/discoloration in the filter means that it is no longer 'good' and that it may reduce the life of the fuel pump.

George

It gives me a warm and fuzzy knowing I have a nice clean filter....for now....
I could see particles and debris on my old filter element after I ripped it apart, must of had some nasty gas.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Lifetime filter... then does that mean the gas I put in my tank is 100% clean and pure? I think not. I did mine awhile back and there are even threads where people have pictures of their fuel filters cut in half to show the dirt inside. I'd rather pay a few bucks for a filter than a few hundred for a new sending unit.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

I hope there's dirt in the filter when these are cut in half since that's what should be found in them but I agrre after at least 100k I'd change it but there are plenty of Runners with 200-300k on the original filters still going and I haven't read that a filter has caused engine failure. If it gets too clogged it'll just hurt performance.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I haven't read that a filter has caused engine failure. If it gets too clogged it'll just hurt performance.
On a S/C engine a high RPM leanout like that could spell disaster.
Even on a N/A motor, a clogged filter can often cost you a fuel pump if left too long.

Quick Reply: Lifetime fuel filter......Haha ya right