Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Level 10 Valve Body Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Level 10 Valve Body Mod

Next week I'm dropping my Runner off at Level 10 to have them do the transmission valve body modification. Since the installation of the supercharger and the tranny cooler, I've noticed a very annoying shift lag between first and second gears. This just CAN'T be good for the tranny!

From anyone who's already done that mod, will this cure that problem?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2003, 07:43 AM

The VB mod should help the slow shift unless your tranny is already shot. Once I get my new tranny in my truck I'll be getting mine done as well. however, I won't be using L10, there is another shop in NJ that will do the same job for about $500 if you send them the VB and about $100 more if you drive it in so they are substantially cheaper. Here's their website if you're interested: http://www.importperformancetrans.com/ . PowerMac over on ODW had them do his VB and has been very happy. Here's the thread.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:46 AM

Got the Level 10 valve body HydroSystem done two weeks ago. No lag in the shifts now! This past weekend I removed the Level 10 springs and replaced the stock, much more comfortable shifts for this daily driver! Not a difficult job, just takes some time. I would ask for your stock springs in the event you feel the shifts are too firm. With the stock springs the shifts are plenty firm for me!
Old 05-12-2003, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

After having the supercharger installed, I was immediately aware of the huge shift lag between first and second gears. Sure that this CAN'T be good for the tranny, I looked into the Level Ten valve body mod.

However, I was pointed toward Import Performance Transmissions as an alternate shop to do the work. I called IPT and spoke with John and was pleasantly impressed with both his knowledge and demeanor. Since I was heading to NJ anyway, and it really didn't matter to me who did the job as long as it was done right, I decided to give IPT the business.

I met with John at the shop (not easy to find, but he talked me right to their door via cell phone!) and he took it for a drive. A few hours later he called me to say that he was done. He drove the Runner to his house so I wouldn't have to drive all the way to the shop to pick it up. He went with me for a test drive and adjusted it some more until I was happy.

I then drove it home (700 miles) with no problems whatsoever. It does indeed shift hard now -- each shift has a definite "kick," not unlike hitting a small bump in the road (enough to irritate my wife, and that's not all bad!) John also showed me how to adjust it myself in case I decide to smooth it out just a bit more.

I'm sure Level Ten does a great job, and have no reason to steer anyone away from them. However, having met John at IPT and having him do the work, I can't praise him enough for a job well done. It was icing on the cake to save a few hundred bucks in the deal.

So, if you're in the market for a transmission valve body modification, check into IPT before you have it done elsewhere.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the update. Can you describe what you adjust to change how hard it shifts?
Old 05-12-2003, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

The attached pic shows the adjustment for the automatic transmission. John showed me hot to move it one way to soften the shift somewhat and the other to firm it up.

I'm sure others on this forum know far more than I what this actually does and can further elaborate just how this affects the transmission's behavior. I'll leave it to them.

As for what it feels like, it's like I said -- like hitting a small bump in the road. There's a definite jerk when it shifts, and the most noticable is when shifting into 2nd gear at low RPM.

Hopefully that helps. It's the best I can do...
Attached Thumbnails Level 10 Valve Body Mod-adjustment.jpg  
Old 05-12-2003, 01:51 PM
Away

That is the "kickdown" or throttle cable adjustment for the Auto Trans. If you have a service manual, there is an actual stock setting for that cable. If you tighten it up beyond spec, it will hold shifts longer and be firmer when it shifts under hard acceleration. If you loosen it beyond spec, then the opposite will happen. If it is too far out of adjustment to the loose side, it won't kickdown when you want to pass someone.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 05-12-2003, 03:45 PM

What I'd like to know is how to do this VB upgrade myself? Anyone know? Also, I don't think adjusting the throttle kickdown cable is something you should mess with, because in reality all you are doing is adjusting when the tranny will downshift and release the downshifted gear upon acceleration. For example, if you tighten the cable, it will downshift sooner, and not release the lower gear as soon. If you do the opposite, then it won't downshift as soon, and it will release the lower gear sooner.

Chris