Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

LED Side Marker Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
LED Side Marker Lights

Many thanks to Bob_98SR5 for his tutorial on the side marker install he did some time ago. I just completed the same basic Side marker light install only I updated the parts and procedure. I used the LED side markers from a late model (2005) VW Beetle. these were an absolute PITA to get out. I broke one in a wrecking yard trying to figure how to get it out, but it requires a #20 TORX screw driver to loosen the hold down bolts for the bracket. Very interesting how the German engineers came up with this mounting system. Works outstanding but like I said what a PITA! You need to be able to get to the markers from inside the cowl under the dash. But install into a 4Runner is not the easiest but one heck of a lot easier then removal from a VW!

I plan to submit a write up on the entire project including shots of both left and right sides. Only real difference is the right side has the antenna so a few more steps involved. I used my latest install of the blinking corners to simplify the connection of the leads but I also did it as if you did not have the corner blink mod done. I ended up taking a few weeks to do this as the weather is not very condusive to outside work but overall time is in the neighborhood of 4-5 hours.

There are two lines of thought on this install, you can do the method of install siliar to the way Bob and I installed our markers or you can remove the front bumper to completely remove the fenders. Just depends on how easy or hard you want to make it and the time you have to do the mod. Removing the bumper is not a very quick and easy task. So here is the finished product and the write up will be forth coming. If you are considering this mod and don't want to try to find them in a wrecking yard, VW side markers for the 02-05 Beetle run around $45 each and then you need to get the plug for the harness which they have to try to locate as a seperate plug and they run around $3. Very visible and they do look sweet!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice!

Those look really good. I installed side markers on both of my Civics years ago, and was impressed with the extra visibility. My only worry with them on a truck is having them incur trail damage from the occasional loving tree. I do like the European/JDM look of them, and they're a big improvement over the factory turn indicator setup.

Nice clean job.

Andy
Old 02-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they make it look more like the original design, from the Hilux Surf. i just have to ask, why orange? I use blue leds in my side marker.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:32 AM

The color looks good.... you see alot of the clear so much that you forget how good the orange is
Old 02-28-2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
they make it look more like the original design, from the Hilux Surf. i just have to ask, why orange? I use blue leds in my side marker.

Ummmm....blue=ticket
Old 02-28-2008, 10:35 AM

Those look pretty good Ritzy!

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Ummmm....blue=ticket
Maybe blue is legal where he lives?? That would be my only guess?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:01 AM

Thanks guys and the reason for "orange" is amber is the color that VW uses. These are not ones you can change the LED's in. They are OEM Volkswagen. There are actually I believe 8 LEDs in each lamp. The forward ones are separated by a small partition and then the remaining LEDs are in a stair step Z shaped reflector that reflects the light out and rearward. So swapping out another color isn't an option. Using Blue on any exterior indicator is illegal in almost every state. That color indicator (blue) no matter what its for is reserved for Police vehicles. At least in the states I'm familiar with. I think you will find that to be the case though as if it was legal in one state and you crossed over to another state they could still ticket you as you are driving in their state. No matter ... the issue with trail debris might be a notable point but if the tree branch in question is signifcant enough to damage the lense (these are pretty low profile) then I would suspect you are looking at some fender damage as well. Hey but we do this to "dress her up" right?

I also did the LED cup holder illumination. It turned out really slick! I'll have some of those pics up later as well. Want to add LED to the little cubby hole in the center console next to the eBrake and one above the rear heater temp selector lever. Already wired in the + & - wires when I did the cup holder LED install. More to come!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:26 AM

Looks good, looking forward to the interior pics.

FYI, Bob takes donations on his website for all his efforts. Well worth dropping a few buck IMO.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:08 PM

Great job!!! Looks really sharp.

Do you have any pics showing these on the entire side profile of your 4Runner.
And.... do you have the link to Bobs thread that you mention?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 AM

I am still doing the full write up on my install but I do have a modified write up currently in the tech section. Also here is the link to Bob's install he did on his 2001 sport edition. He used the the bulb version of the VW side marker. He was able to list the part number for the indicator and the harness plug. As I got mine out of a wrecking yard, I never was able to track down the numbers but they have to be out there. Anyway as requested here is Bob's write up.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f126...er-01-a-75843/