Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Leaking Tacoma PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Leaking Tacoma PLEASE HELP!!

Here's the deal, I've got a 97 Tacoma extended cab with a factory sunroof and all original glass. With the wonderful hurricanes we've had blowing through the past few weeks I've ended up with soggy carpet after each of these hard rains. It's on the drivers side underneath the floor mat. Now granted these have been some serious rain storms, but the carpet and padding end up soaked! Then it's a week of pulling trim and propping up the carpet every time I park the truck for that slow and thorough dry. Time consuming pain in the #@^!

So I searched on here and learned about the drain tubes for the sunroof, sounded like the most likely culprit so I cleaned them. I have no compressed air so I bought some coated wire just slightly smaller than the diameter of the drain tube and ran it in there. I couldn't see it coming out the bottom of the fender but it had to have been there because I fed about 3-4 feet of wire in there. I also ran silicone around the grommet in the firewall because I had run extra wires through there for an amp, driving light wiring, etc.

Now our latest hurricane remnants are blowing through and I just go out to check and there's water in the truck!! I traced it back up and the first spot I see it is in between the side of the dash and the weatherstripping that surrounds the body at the door jamb. I thoroughly inspected the weatherstripping and how it's mounted and it looks to be okay. In fact it looks dry/slightly dusty in behind it. Is the water seeping in around the windsheild itself? The rubber gasket that runs around it looks like it's really sealed up tight. Could it still be sunroof related? Like I said, there's a little dribble that first shows up right at the outside front edge of the dash, then it runs down and collects on the top of the drivers kick panel, then on to the floor.

Any help would be greatly appreciate, this thing is about to drive me NUTS!!
Old 09-27-2004, 01:09 PM

Windshield is the first thing that comes to my mind. Has it ever been replaced or is it still stock? Mine leaked like that after gettin' a new one once. Found/tracked it with a water hose. That might be the thing to do. Dry it out and see if you can isolate it by running water over differnt parts or the windshield. I dono though. Wish ya the best as I hate the musty smell from the interior getting wet repeatedly.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:25 PM

Still factory

Yeah, it's still the original windshield which makes it even more strange. I had poured water around the sunroof the other day to make sure it ran out the bottom of the fender and it did. But maybe I didn't do it long enough or watch closely enough. I didn't focus on the windshield as closely, only because I suspected the sunroof drains as the problem.